PDA

View Full Version : Talking Friends into an Opel

Jerram
15th July 2010, 12:59 PM
Hi All,

I have a couple of friends at the moment who are looking to purchase their first car. The are not the common-whore type and are looking at the usual crop of 4-Cylinders. As I sound like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to cars (I like to think i know a little more then the average), they usually talk to me about what they should buy.

Now I suggest that I'm not a very practical person when it comes to cars. I bought a vectra despite reading countless reviews about their un-reliability, and my "upgrade" from that was a 1994 Saab that is essentially a V6 Calibra/Vectra A with a Saab body and trimmings. (Mind you I still think it was very good value for money at 4.2k with only 170,000 on the clock and over 4k worth of mod/replacement receipts.)

The main person I'm talking to atm has up to an 8k budget. They're looking at a 4 cylinder for decent fuel economy. I would suggest that he'd appreciate something that's reasonably nice. Now obviously the practical thing to do is to try and get him into something like a 01-03 lancer/323/laser etc. I'd guess that they would be the most reliable, "safe" option. tbh though after looking at some I must admit I'm not greatly inspired. If I were spending 8k on a car I'd be looking at things like good condition E34 540s/525s, early Alfa 156s or 164s or even turn of the century Saab 9-3s (i recently saw a 2001 9-3 aero with 120,000 up for 7,999).

So tbh at the moment I'm thinking a good middle of the road car that gives you good things from both worlds would be an opel. Unfortunately I'm discounting the Vectra straight off the bat as I know the problems they can give you. I'd consider the Corsa to be a bit too girly (sorry), so I'm thinking that an Astra might be right on the money - particularly a Z22se SRi. There are some good looking examples around the traps atm with good gear at the right sort of money.

I'm just seeking opinions from yous guys as to what you think. 2.2 Astra owners commenting on reliability would be appreciated as well. I'll probably go out and inspect some of these examples as well so if you can think of any odd things to look for it'd be great. Thanks all.

gmonkey
15th July 2010, 01:10 PM
Going to throw a spanner in the works.. Mk4 golf?

First cars I'd stay well clear of the bmws mercs and alfas unless they don't mind spending money on parts and servicing and are an enthuaist of cars.. An alfa is a nice car but if u don't care for cars it will end up a pile of crap.. If will be looking at these then I'd shop for a mid 90s a4.

Only other suggestion is maybe a maxima or civic/accord?

Ice
15th July 2010, 01:12 PM
Ide not even recommend a car as they will blame you when something goes wrong, lol. but as Gmonkey says ide have more faith in a Golf

lithium
15th July 2010, 01:31 PM
Ide not even recommend a car as they will blame you when something goes wrong, lol.

i agree! haha :lol:

if they aren't an enthusiast, i can't recommend the 1.8 Astras either after the run i've had with my Z18XE. on the other hand there do seem to be a lot of happy 2.2 owners on here where the engine just keeps on going and going and going, i am sure they will come on to comment?

for reliable, boring transport - a Civic as Gmonkey says is not a bad choice, i've always liked Hondas. can you get a Corolla Seca for that money? Lancer is ok too and less pedestrian. if they need something bigger, in terms of value for money you can't go past a 3rd gen Magna. cheap, reliable, not too nasty inside, and in a manual it'll see you flying down the quarter in very low 15s (yes we own one and i am therefore biased) :)

gmonkey
15th July 2010, 01:32 PM
U can even get an astra ah now days around that price... Corsa Sri but gets my vote :p it's not Girly and it's nicer than other cars at the price (Getz, polos, old golfs, corrola, pulsar)

+1 on idea that'll ull get blamed lol

Only other thing can think of is previous shape focus or fiesta

btm
15th July 2010, 02:14 PM
had my astra SRi since new (over 7 years) and she's never skipped a beat. the only thing i've had go wrong with her over the time is a blown fog light globe - seriously, that's all i've had to change... other than the regular servicing

Ice
15th July 2010, 02:22 PM
had my astra SRi since new (over 7 years) and she's never skipped a beat. the only thing i've had go wrong with her over the time is a blown fog light globe - seriously, that's all i've had to change... other than the regular servicing

yes but alot of people dont take care of their cars like us. thats the trick....to find a good well ooked after model.

btm
15th July 2010, 02:25 PM
yes but alot of people dont take care of their cars like us. thats the trick....to find a good well ooked after model.

true, not to mention she's only got about 55,000km on her...

xplosv57
15th July 2010, 08:56 PM
it really depends what they want out of the car....

if they want a reliable run around, then any astra is fine, the 2.2 does drink a fair bit but otherwise is damn reliable

if they want a car to do modifications on, then i'd only recommend the SRi-T cos of its easy modding capabilities, the 1.8 and 2.2 asks for alot more mods for little gain

Shay
15th July 2010, 10:01 PM
my veccy hasnt had any issues... (that werent caused by me pushing the car really really hard)

but another option is the Impreza's. my bro is looking at one atm, 2001 for 6,999 w/ 130K kms good cond.

poita
15th July 2010, 10:18 PM
same here, mine has only been broken due to either me dicking around with it, or someone else's incompitence

not due to mechanical/electrical failure

gmonkey
15th July 2010, 10:20 PM
same here, mine has only been broken due to calibra destroying gremlins

they like timing belts and i swear i had a sunroof at one point those bastards...

corrected :)

btm
16th July 2010, 08:04 AM
corrected :)
:lol:

guy 27
16th July 2010, 10:22 AM
my 2.2 has been extremely reliable and i am sure power for most drivers is more than sufficiant, fuel economy is brilliant, standard features are great.
Downsides:
If its near the 100k km mark then expect for fork out for chain replacement or make sure its been done if its past that mark.
Insurance is alot more on the SRi than on a golf due to being a "sports" model.
The G is starting to look a bit dated compared to the same year model golf.

My final choices were between a 3dr Golf and the Astra when i was looking a few years back. The astra won on looks but the golf would of been the safe choice had i of had no mechanical experiance.

Ice
16th July 2010, 12:53 PM
my 2.2 has been extremely reliable and i am sure power for most drivers is more than sufficiant, fuel economy is brilliant, standard features are great.
Downsides:
If its near the 100k km mark then expect for fork out for chain replacement or make sure its been done if its past that mark.
Insurance is alot more on the SRi than on a golf due to being a "sports" model.
The G is starting to look a bit dated compared to the same year model golf.

My final choices were between a 3dr Golf and the Astra when i was looking a few years back. The astra won on looks but the golf would of been the safe choice had i of had no mechanical experiance.

you get brilliant economy ? my sister's 2.2 would get her maybe to 400 dead empty and with her driving.....I wouldnt even get to 350

guy 27
16th July 2010, 01:53 PM
you get brilliant economy ? my sister's 2.2 would get her maybe to 400 dead empty and with her driving.....I wouldnt even get to 350

Melbourne I average 500km a tank city driving
Brisbane is around 600km a tank and both of those are me flogging the car around. Highway has seen over 1000km a tank several times. Always on 98 octane fuel.

btm
16th July 2010, 02:23 PM
Brisbane is around 600km a tank and both of those are me flogging the car around. Highway has seen over 1000km a tank several times. Always on 98 octane fuel.

never got 1000km a tank with mine on the highway, but would always get over 700km/tank

Ice
16th July 2010, 02:27 PM

guy ? If i go highway......and only highway ill just get 1000 and thats averaging 4.8L/100km thats with a 52 tank and Diesel....you need to re-check your figures me thinks !

IfSRi
16th July 2010, 02:34 PM
Owned my 2.2 since new in 04 when I drove it out of the showroom with Auto, met paint, 17'"Turbo wheels & tint for $31,498.

In 84,000 country klm and regular 15.000k book servicing all Ive replaced is 2 Tail globes, 2 Batteries (one at 40k, one recently) and a heap of 17" tyres.

Tested the fuel economy on a trip from south coast to Perth and back last week and got 6.7 & 7.6 l/100km on 98 ron fuel (and I sat on 110/120kph).

The engine lopes along effortlessly at 2500rpm and I'm never going to do pointless mods like 'de restricting etc.

Interestingly different economy figures are quoted for year models listed here-

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/results.aspx?Ns=p_Year_String%7C1%7C%7Cp_Make_Stri ng%7C0%7C%7Cp_Family_String%7C0&N=4294958234%204294843510%202994%204294907989&SearchAction=N&Qpb=true&sid=129AA13646DC&Nne=15

IfSRi
16th July 2010, 02:39 PM
Aquick look on carsguide shows values all over 10k for that model.

I'd hate to sell mine to a 17yo for $8k as a first car lol.

get em a beat up 90's Hyundy till they work out whet they really want. hehe.

Ice
16th July 2010, 02:47 PM
Interestingly different economy figures are quoted for year models listed here-

http://www.carsales.com.au/car-research/results.aspx?Ns=p_Year_String%7C1%7C%7Cp_Make_Stri ng%7C0%7C%7Cp_Family_String%7C0&N=4294958234%204294843510%202994%204294907989&SearchAction=N&Qpb=true&sid=129AA13646DC&Nne=15

very wierd figures....the newer they get the worse the economy ? ide say there is an error there and they are massive difference too.

IfSRi
16th July 2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah the 8 L/100k would be City, and the 7 L and less are highway figures.

seems about right.

Worst Ive ever got is about 580 k on a tank and the usual about 680km are better.

which is better than my friend gets from their (am I allowed to say 'gutless'? lol) 1.8 manual CD sedan.

I think its the fact you dont have to push the 2.2 at all and I do like the Auto box which never kicks down unless using the sport button.

xplosv57
16th July 2010, 03:18 PM
well since this thread is already off topic...

my 2.2 struggles also to get 400km out a tank around town, in fairness the car has been modified and isn't complete plus the car does only 2 5km trips a day so not much driving.

but even on long trips it gets just under 500km a tank, shouldve got a turbo, much better economy figures and better performance!!

IfSRi
16th July 2010, 03:23 PM
Put the airbox and whatever mods back to standard.

something is way wrong there.

xplosv57
16th July 2010, 03:25 PM
Put the airbox and whatever mods back to standard.

something is way wrong there.

umm yeah bit difficult to do that

airbox is standard

Ice's sisters car (as far as im aware) is standard and gets the same economy.

Ice
16th July 2010, 03:31 PM
umm yeah bit difficult to do that

airbox is standard

Ice's sisters car (as far as im aware) is standard and gets the same economy.

yep was stock Steve and she didnt cane it either.

Wraith
16th July 2010, 04:32 PM
Hi All,

I have a couple of friends at the moment who are looking to purchase their first car. The are not the common-whore type and are looking at the usual crop of 4-Cylinders. As I sound like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to cars (I like to think i know a little more then the average), they usually talk to me about what they should buy.

Now I suggest that I'm not a very practical person when it comes to cars. I bought a vectra despite reading countless reviews about their un-reliability, and my "upgrade" from that was a 1994 Saab that is essentially a V6 Calibra/Vectra A with a Saab body and trimmings. (Mind you I still think it was very good value for money at 4.2k with only 170,000 on the clock and over 4k worth of mod/replacement receipts.)

The main person I'm talking to atm has up to an 8k budget. They're looking at a 4 cylinder for decent fuel economy. I would suggest that he'd appreciate something that's reasonably nice. Now obviously the practical thing to do is to try and get him into something like a 01-03 lancer/323/laser etc. I'd guess that they would be the most reliable, "safe" option. tbh though after looking at some I must admit I'm not greatly inspired. If I were spending 8k on a car I'd be looking at things like good condition E34 540s/525s, early Alfa 156s or 164s or even turn of the century Saab 9-3s (i recently saw a 2001 9-3 aero with 120,000 up for 7,999).

So tbh at the moment I'm thinking a good middle of the road car that gives you good things from both worlds would be an opel. Unfortunately I'm discounting the Vectra straight off the bat as I know the problems they can give you. I'd consider the Corsa to be a bit too girly (sorry), so I'm thinking that an Astra might be right on the money - particularly a Z22se SRi. There are some good looking examples around the traps atm with good gear at the right sort of money.

I'm just seeking opinions from yous guys as to what you think. 2.2 Astra owners commenting on reliability would be appreciated as well. I'll probably go out and inspect some of these examples as well so if you can think of any odd things to look for it'd be great. Thanks all.

Judging from what's being said there and from the type of budget your mentioning considering a car to get, I'd be pushing the Jap brands, not any of the Opels IMHO.

They're going to be much more reliable overall and far cheaper to run...despite being the more 'common whore' car types I suppose...

guy 27
16th July 2010, 05:12 PM
guy ? If i go highway......and only highway ill just get 1000 and thats averaging 4.8L/100km thats with a 52 tank and Diesel....you need to re-check your figures me thinks !

I don't need to recheck my figures. Last drive in mine from melb to bris. fill up at bp brighton, top up at 1/4 mark in newcastle, arrive in brisbane with 1/3 remaining.

my car must run extremely lean as its way too efficiant (could either be because of weak injectors or more likely slack in the timing chain messing with the timing). On the last qld cruise with steve in the car, he saw how i drive it and that tank still pulled out over 600km before the fuel light turned on.

my highway driving though is cruise control 99% of the time and very slow acceleration whenever needed, slip streaming when possible and the other usual fuel efficiant driving techniques.

Shay
16th July 2010, 05:17 PM

is it auto?

cos i got 2L per 100km better economy with the switch to manual.
my 2.2 easily gets 580kms a tank, and im a very enthusiastic driver...

xplosv57
16th July 2010, 05:24 PM
is it auto?

cos i got 2L per 100km better economy with the switch to manual.
my 2.2 easily gets 580kms a tank, and im a very enthusiastic driver...

well mines manual and i get the same economy...

and yes Guy i saw how you drive, how you get 600+ a tank is beyond me, especially as your car has done almost double the km mine has done!!

Shay
16th July 2010, 05:41 PM
well mines manual and i get the same economy...

and yes Guy i saw how you drive, how you get 600+ a tank is beyond me, especially as your car has done almost double the km mine has done!!

dude, seriously, your car is no where near std. you cant compare figures with a stock car...

Ice
16th July 2010, 05:46 PM
well as it stands I should just have got a petrol as they are more economical than the diesel.....**ahem cough** so onto the original thread topic buy an opel as they are economical.

In all seriousness as Wraith said, Stick with the Japs..in the long run its the better option.

IfSRi
16th July 2010, 06:58 PM
Cant see that auto makes much difference in real world economy.

cruise control is the key to good highway mileage and nudging it slightly on downhills when the c/c retards the speed slightly.

As for not recommending a 2,2 due to reliability???

I bought this car to do a lot more k's yet.

Shay
17th July 2010, 04:07 AM
well, seeing that my engine never changed, but i swapped my auto gearbox for a manual, and got heaps better fuel economy, i think its pretty conclusive...

gmonkey
17th July 2010, 11:25 AM
It all comes down to the driver and enviromental conditions and traffic.. Results will always change.

Vectramatic
22nd July 2010, 07:54 PM
I've spent close to 4k on my 2.2 Vectra B. If I hadn't been too fussy about things, I could have just done the radiator, and not worried about the noisy lifters, timing belt and oil leaks. Less than a grand.

Not a bad car really, but I have heard some shocking stories. Trick is, that in recommending an Opel, is to be sure you can point them in the direction of an 'Opel Friendly' mechanic. That's the mechanic that understands Opels, accepts the challenge that they may not be as easy to work on as most cars. Maybe this is the reason that resale value is not like a Honda or Toyota. I think Opel is great value.

Personally I love the build quality, the finish and the design.

cheers
Blake

rjastra
23rd July 2010, 10:14 AM
Will people stop using the "km per tank" standard... what the hell does that mean?

It's l/100km or km/l

When I fill the tank up varies alot to when other people fill it up and give NO accurate indication of the litres used to travel a certain distance.

Ohh, if recommending an Astra always recommend the 2.2L. They seem to have far fewer engine related issues than the 1,8L. They also have larger brakes so they don't suffer the quick wearing brake rotor issues the 1.8L cars have.

brc
23rd July 2010, 03:25 PM
My Astra 1.8L has been a VERY reliable and fuel efficient car. I have to admit, it has been mistreated in the past but since it's most recent $1850.00 service it is flawless.

I wouldn't NOT recommend the 1.8L Astra's. I'm very happy with mine. Although something interesting:

My 03 SRi Turbo has almost the same efficiency as the 1.8, why?

SRi-T = 550km / tank (highway)

1.8 CD - 550-600km (highway)

Explain that one!? :P

glider
23rd July 2010, 08:21 PM
I tend to usually get 5-600km and always fill up when the fuel light comes on (this is about 42-44L used)

so my average is somewhere around 7 to 9L/100KM which probably varies depending on how hard I drive that week (I never drive like a pensioner tho).

have had no issues with the car at all (apart from self-inflicted ones) but I do only have ~ 68000km on the clock so far

ASTRAY
24th July 2010, 10:41 AM
My Astra 1.8L has been a VERY reliable and fuel efficient car. I have to admit, it has been mistreated in the past but since it's most recent $1850.00 service it is flawless.

I wouldn't NOT recommend the 1.8L Astra's. I'm very happy with mine. Although something interesting:

My 03 SRi Turbo has almost the same efficiency as the 1.8, why?

SRi-T = 550km / tank (highway)

1.8 CD - 550-600km (highway)

Explain that one!? :P

just my opinion,,,,
the SRi is 2L so it should in theory chew more fuel than the 1.8
but the 2L is turbo, and turbo increases efficiency.
also, im not sure what revs the turbs sits on @ 100km/h, but itd be lower than the @3,000rpm with the 1.8L.

metry
25th July 2010, 09:30 PM
weve had both the 1.8 and the 2.2. both were great. the 1.8 we never had a problem with in fact wed probably still have it now if it weren't written off. the 2.2 is a beautiful car to drive. very comfortable and very responsive. its nice cause you can drive it like a grandmother to save petrol and get decent economy out of it and has enough power to give a bit of fun when you put your foot down. but as was mentioned before. don't suggest a car. what id say is give them a sample of cars (just photos and positives and negatives of each) to choose from. let them choose what they like then find them a few of those cars to look at.