PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads that DO NOT MAKE DUST

droodles
28th June 2010, 10:40 PM
Name them.

Ferodo, currently on my car, makes a shit load of dust. I don't even brake that hard and I still have to wipe down my alloy rims after a couple of drives.

guy 27
28th June 2010, 10:44 PM
most of the guys here run HPX pads from GSLrallysport and have little to no dust.

I am running them on the front and Bendix ultimate on the rears and have no brake dust what so ever to worry about.

nuggz
28th June 2010, 10:45 PM
QFM HPX pads
never had an issue with brake dust since ive used them
get in contact with GSLrallysport on this forum

*edit - what pedobear said

ChrisMaz
28th June 2010, 10:51 PM
Running bendix ultimates throughout. Little dust but they have faded pretty damn quick. Although that may have been due to going on a Twisty cruise two days after they were installed.

Shay
28th June 2010, 11:04 PM
brakes + NO dust = impossible...

auzvectra
28th June 2010, 11:06 PM
brakes + NO dust = impossible...

maybe if u dont drive the car shay :p.

as others have said :). hpx are very good also.

Shay
28th June 2010, 11:10 PM
ah 2SHAY :p

:lol:

what is the issue with brake dust anyway? not like its damaging...

gmonkey
28th June 2010, 11:13 PM
Just an annoyance.. Just use a good wheel protector so the dust can just be sprayed off

DIXIE
28th June 2010, 11:18 PM
clean your rims with something something wheel cleaner.. i cant remember the brand ill check tomorrow.. it coats them in a film that stops the dust from sticking to the paint. lasts about 3 - 4 washes, depending on how wet the weather is.. either way its fkn awesome. ive been using it on my rims for years, and it works like a charm

gmonkey
28th June 2010, 11:35 PM
nano-clean wheel protector or something like that :p

ChrisMaz
28th June 2010, 11:51 PM
I ordered some Autobrite Very Cherry. Stuff works a treat and smells awesome :p

droodles
29th June 2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah but is wheel cleaner just a gimmick? I've been able to clean most of my dust off with some water and a chamois. The tougher stuff requires a little more elbow grease...most of it.

gmonkey
29th June 2010, 12:36 AM
i find if its on there tough some cut/polish works a treat!!

wheel protector does help i find but

droodles
29th June 2010, 12:48 AM
Do rotors also play a role in the dusting? I've got a set of crap GM not slotted/drilled blank pieces of crap.

gmonkey
29th June 2010, 12:50 AM
yes it can... pretty sure slotted can make it worse but...

droodles
29th June 2010, 02:39 AM
But the stopping power is better, yes I get it. You can't have both things at once.

gslrallysport
29th June 2010, 10:09 AM
But the stopping power is better, yes I get it. You can't have both things at once.
There are exceptions. As the guys have said the QFM HPX is a Bendix Ultimate type performance pad, with VERY little dust.

Where QFM have the advantage is that they've never made asbestos pads, even when it was allowed. Since it was banned, most friction material manufacturers have been playing catchup work that QFM had been doing for years.

Even the A1RM which is a semi-track pad has relatively low dust for what it is.

DIXIE
29th June 2010, 10:54 AM
i find that as long as you wash your car regularly, you avoid getting a problematic buildup of dust..

EAS51
29th June 2010, 12:56 PM
I have a new idea, Get full mags (Not Spokes).. Similar to Dixie's VL rims, And you won't get so much on your rims =). Mine work wonders haha.

auzvectra
29th June 2010, 02:21 PM
I have a new idea, Get full mags (Not Spokes).. Similar to Dixie's VL rims, And you won't get so much on your rims =). Mine work wonders haha.

and suffer brake fade from no airflow :p. like the old globe wheels, haha. no airflow at all on them.

nuggz
29th June 2010, 02:23 PM
Name them.

Ferodo, currently on my car, makes a shit load of dust. I don't even brake that hard and I still have to wipe down my alloy rims after a couple of drives.

There are exceptions. As the guys have said the QFM HPX is a Bendix Ultimate type performance pad, with VERY little dust.

Where QFM have the advantage is that they've never made asbestos pads, even when it was allowed. Since it was banned, most friction material manufacturers have been playing catchup work that QFM had been doing for years.

Even the A1RM which is a semi-track pad has relatively low dust for what it is.

Greg (gslrallysport) is definately the man you need to speak to

ROCCO
29th June 2010, 10:58 PM
reply +1 to nuggz post...I bought slotted discs and HPX pads all round for my H best thing ever...the stopping power is awesome and little to no brake dust....

ASTRAY
30th June 2010, 03:34 AM
ah 2SHAY :p

:lol:

what is the issue with brake dust anyway? not like its damaging...

i have been told it is.
fks up your paint/clear coat on alloys.
not sure about chromies.
just a quick result from the net...
http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/16660-brake-dust-clear-coated-rims-bad.html

xplosv57
30th June 2010, 07:04 AM
hmm i thought i had QFM pads too, but mine produce alot of brake dust, i might have to double check!!

but like most here, i wash my car at least once a week so doesn't bother me too much!!

Vectracious
30th June 2010, 12:24 PM
Running bendix ultimates throughout. Little dust but they have faded pretty damn quick. Although that may have been due to going on a Twisty cruise two days after they were installed.

I had Bendix Ultimates on the WRX - had very little brake dust when they were on - and they didnt chew through the rotors either as I was told by several people.

droodles
30th June 2010, 05:06 PM
Yes, I had a brake dust build up on my rims and I was too lazy to clean it and some of it has corroded and eaten up some of the colouring on my rims.

Since I had the brakes done at around 95,000 kms, there's no point in replacing them now. I'll look into getting a better set of rotors and pads when the time comes to replace them.

Apparently the RDA and DBA rotors, are made in China except for the DBA 4000 series and up.

gslrallysport
1st July 2010, 01:25 PM
Apparently the RDA and DBA rotors, are made in China
As are 98% of rotors fitted to cars around the world today. Protex, BPA, ATAP etc. and pretty much ever rotor brand in Australia are made in China. Not really an issue, especially considering RDA slotted has less cracking issues than DBA 4000 slotted... The stigma with made in China is started to fade away.... Bit like made in Korea did half a decade ago.

brc
1st July 2010, 03:19 PM
Tires that never run out of tread!!

gmonkey
1st July 2010, 03:21 PM
Didn't realise made Korea was good yet :p hahah

gslrallysport
2nd July 2010, 10:23 AM
Didn't realise made Korea was good yet :p hahah
There's a reason why the conglomerate that is Kia/Hyundai is rapidly on the way to becoming the worlds largest car maker. If you'd asked me 5 years ago that I'd be buying a Korean made 2 tonne van to tow the Impreza with, that had a 2.5L, 400nm, 125kw turbo CRDI that does 7L/100km on the highway there's now way I'd have believed you.... but that's exactly what I did 3 weeks ago when I got rid of the Cross 6.

Apart from the fact that they just lack a bit of driving dynamics that the Japanese and Euro's have, Kia/Hyundai can't seem to put a foot wrong at the moment.... When the same can't be said of the likes of someone like Toyota, who can't seem to take a trick at the moment....

J
2nd July 2010, 11:40 AM
There's a reason why the conglomerate that is Kia/Hyundai is rapidly on the way to becoming the worlds largest car maker. If you'd asked me 5 years ago that I'd be buying a Korean made 2 tonne van to tow the Impreza with, that had a 2.5L, 400nm, 125kw turbo CRDI that does 7L/100km on the highway there's now way I'd have believed you.... but that's exactly what I did 3 weeks ago when I got rid of the Cross 6.

Apart from the fact that they just lack a bit of driving dynamics that the Japanese and Euro's have, Kia/Hyundai can't seem to put a foot wrong at the moment.... When the same can't be said of the likes of someone like Toyota, who can't seem to take a trick at the moment....

+1

Sorry for going OT, but Hyundai/Kia (in particular, Hyundai) is like the new Toyota, but with better warranty, and seemingly less recalls due to quality issues.

When they start employing decent chassis engineers, that's when I will get their cars, too. But the fact that even now, they are (as per their claim) sending out engineers to calibrate suspension etc. specifically for Australian conditions, even when we are not their largest market globally, speaks volumes about their willingness to learn and apply. Until now, perhaps someone can come up with aftermarket handling upgrades for their current products? That way, it would already have pretty much solved their remaining issue.

Back on topic: Haven't started using HPX pads yet, but my Astra can easily pull more than 1G when braking with RDA slotted rotors, even though they are currently slugged with very low-end and high-dust RDA pads. Regardless, they all seem to last forever. My next upgrade would definitely be the HPX pads.