PDA

View Full Version : The Golf R has arrived

Wraith
14th June 2010, 11:00 AM
Checked out 2 brand new Golf R's this morning, one blue the other grey both 5 door variants located at Nunawadding VW (Springvale Rd), the dealership was closed, but they're both parked out in the open yard if anyone in that area is interested in checking them out...

Didn't think they were due for release till at least another couple of months time, was driving along and just happen to spot them out...

So what are they like ?? well checking them out in the metal for the 1st time my impressions are they look good, real good...certainly the different front end, wheels, tail lights, side skirts certainly up close makes them look better than any of the garden variety Golfs including the Gti, there are plenty of those there too to compare against.

When I get the chance I'll have to book in a test drive along with another mate of mine who's interested in buying one and see if they live up to all the hype, even in their Aust. spec mildly detuned form, they 'should' still drive impressively...

hazrd
14th June 2010, 11:16 AM
there was a black one out here at the werribee dealership when i went in to pick up my GTi... the wheels on them really suit, and the interior is magnificant. i hopped in and u can just feel how good the build quality of it is :)

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 01:05 PM
definetely can't afford one at the minute but am keen as to have a look at one, so far my favourite new car for a long time!!!

gman
14th June 2010, 03:09 PM
I'm definitely keen to look at one. Might be a proposition later in the year as well as maybe the new Megane 250 RS.

Both such good cars for such different reasons!

sooty
14th June 2010, 03:21 PM
I'll see if the vdub dealership next to holden has one tomorrow morning when i rock up in a tow truck :emo:

hazrd
14th June 2010, 05:44 PM
I'll see if the vdub dealership next to holden has one tomorrow morning when i rock up in a tow truck :emo:

leave the astra at holden and drive home in the golf :p

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 07:02 PM
Checked out 2 brand new Golf R's this morning, one blue the other grey both 5 door variants located at Nunawadding VW (Springvale Rd), the dealership was closed, but they're both parked out in the open yard if anyone in that area is interested in checking them out...

I believe you mean Barloworld in Glen Waverley, unless there is also a dealer in Nunawading on Springvale Rd with the 2 exact cars....

And they are both there, so have a look once your done dealing with your good friends at Holden!!

Had to go look at the Golf R, and had to tip a bucket of ice down my pants afterwards, i freakin LOVE it!!!

There was a bloke there who i spoke to, he ordered one back in october and was telling me alot of little tips about the car, eg silver headlights with 18s, black headlights with 19s, new design wheel coming out for OZ market later in the year, and also he had alot of issues with VW ordering the car (only started ordering customer cars after VW had ordered their own and ordered the incorrect wheels).

But i really like the look of the car, aggressive styling, nice wheels, big brakes, body hugging seats (although the 5 door interior is kind of cramped, especially after sitting in Hazrds Polo which is quite large inside, hoping the 3 door R is less cramped)

Took some pics, will try post them later on, but i think i may hold on to the 2.2 for a while till i can afford to get the Golf R!!!

poita
14th June 2010, 07:09 PM
what sort of coin these things running out at?

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 07:12 PM

The guy i spoke to today paid $73k and got every single option (5 door, DSG, 19in black wheels, sunroof, sat nav, adaptive chassis control, leather, reverse camera etc)

a base 3 door is around 57k......

poita
14th June 2010, 07:16 PM
scratch that idea then

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 07:18 PM
scratch that idea then

i wouldnt get one in your case, very small rear seat and boot would be a struggle with a family!!

poita
14th June 2010, 07:25 PM
we have the mazda 6 as the family car

kabel
14th June 2010, 09:04 PM
The guy i spoke to today paid $73k and got every single option (5 door, DSG, 19in black wheels, sunroof, sat nav, adaptive chassis control, leather, reverse camera etc)

a base 3 door is around 57k......

I believe there are a couple of seats options with the racing seats being about a $5000.00 option.
And some were saying the Focus RS was expensive.......I do realise the Golf R and Focus RS will appeal to completely different markets !

There is one at VW in Wangara that is going to a home.
Dealers here starting advertising them in the papers last week.

Wraith
14th June 2010, 09:28 PM
definetely can't afford one at the minute but am keen as to have a look at one, so far my favourite new car for a long time!!!

What happened to getting a 135i or even the new 123d ?? that's an oiler I'd definitely have...although I can certainly see where your coming from, I too am very, very keen on this vehicle and I've never had any interest in Golfs before this one does seem to tick all the right boxes for me :)

I'm definitely keen to look at one. Might be a proposition later in the year as well as maybe the new Megane 250 RS.

Both such good cars for such different reasons!

Same here Gman, will see how my mate goes with it all and decide from there...

Yep that's the one Ain...As Steves pointed out I got the burb wrong LOL..

I believe you mean Barloworld in Glen Waverley, unless there is also a dealer in Nunawading on Springvale Rd with the 2 exact cars....

And they are both there, so have a look once your done dealing with your good friends at Holden!!

Had to go look at the Golf R, and had to tip a bucket of ice down my pants afterwards, i freakin LOVE it!!!

There was a bloke there who i spoke to, he ordered one back in october and was telling me alot of little tips about the car, eg silver headlights with 18s, black headlights with 19s, new design wheel coming out for OZ market later in the year, and also he had alot of issues with VW ordering the car (only started ordering customer cars after VW had ordered their own and ordered the incorrect wheels).

But i really like the look of the car, aggressive styling, nice wheels, big brakes, body hugging seats (although the 5 door interior is kind of cramped, especially after sitting in Hazrds Polo which is quite large inside, hoping the 3 door R is less cramped)

Took some pics, will try post them later on, but i think i may hold on to the 2.2 for a while till i can afford to get the Golf R!!!

Yeah that's the one Steve, apologies I'm not from that area, was one suburb out :p

If your happy to go basic spec and it must be brand new you'll need about 60k...you could always wait for a S/H and/or ex demo maybe ??

i wouldnt get one in your case, very small rear seat and boot would be a struggle with a family!!

The interior of these is exactly the same as any other Golf, more so the Gti...only if one options the Audi style/sourced racing seats will the front occupant space/volume be reduced...for me it's physical size and interior space and other similar sized cars is just fine...

Vectracious
14th June 2010, 09:32 PM
So you've finally decided what you are going to get Ange? - your "my next new car" story is about to rival Days of Our Lives for length of time!!!! :p

GreyRex
14th June 2010, 09:53 PM
So you've finally decided what you are going to get Ange? - your "my next new car" story is about to rival Days of Our Lives for length of time!!!! :p

+1

It reached that a very long time ago

I'll be happy with a 5dr manual... and only sunroof and premium sound as options. That'll do me

Altho the manual I doubt will crack 6 seconds. As an owner... I dont think DSG would do it for me (nothing against yours Pete) ; )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn6jg_IzKP0

Vectracious
14th June 2010, 10:06 PM
Altho the manual I doubt will crack 6 seconds. As an owner... I dont think DSG would do it for me (nothing against yours Pete) ; )

Choice was kind of made for me as the R36 don't come in Manual here in Australia.

And if I need a fix - I just jump into the CR-V - its slow and rolls around like a boat, but the gearshift on it is actually really nice - better than the Rex and much better than either the Astra or Vectra was.

Wraith
14th June 2010, 10:13 PM

+1

It reached that a very long time ago

I'll be happy with a 5dr manual... and only sunroof and premium sound as options. That'll do me

LOL very funny guys, if your talking about a new car for myself yes, but as I'm sure you know I've purchased 2 new cars over the past 3 years, latest one being October last year for other family members - my turn will come in good time ;)

Here's some pricing for anyone interested, it's actually lower than 1st thought, however not sure how accurate this it is though

The 2010 Volkswagen Golf R is available now.

* Golf R 3 Door - 6 Speed Manual - $48,490
* Golf R 3 Door - 6 Speed DSG - $50,990
* Golf R 5 Door - 6 Speed Manual - $49,990
* Golf R 5 Door - 6 Speed DSG - $52,490

Options

* Electric Glass Sunroof - $1,900
* Talladega 19" alloy wheels in Silver or Black (4) - $1,300
* Dynaudio Excite 300W Audio - $1,300
* Satellite Navigation RNS510 - $2,500
* RNS510 with Dynauido Excite - $3,500
* Rear View Camera (RVC) (with RCD510, RNS510 or Dynaudio) - $500
* Media Device Interface (MDI) - $270
* Vienna Leather Upholstery - $3,300
* Motorsport Front Seats, Micro Fibre/Leather Upholstery - $5,300
* Electric Driver's Seat (only with Leather & 5 door) - $600
* Adaptive Chassis Control - $1,500

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 10:51 PM
What happened to getting a 135i or even the new 123d ?? that's an oiler I'd definitely have...although I can certainly see where your coming from, I too am very, very keen on this vehicle and I've never had any interest in Golfs before this one does seem to tick all the right boxes for me :)

135i is more expensive and looks dated next to the Golf R, 123d doesn't have the performance. I'd rather get a S/H 130i for less than 1/2 the price....

Plus AWD is a big seller, otherwise, like yourself have never really looked into a Golf GTi cos the SRi-T/VXR is a similar car for much less money!!

Here's some pricing for anyone interested, it's actually lower than 1st thought, however not sure how accurate this it is though

The 2010 Volkswagen Golf R is available now.

Options

* Electric Glass Sunroof - $1,900
* Talladega 19" alloy wheels in Silver or Black (4) - $1,300
* Dynaudio Excite 300W Audio - $1,300
* Satellite Navigation RNS510 - $2,500
* RNS510 with Dynauido Excite - $3,500
* Rear View Camera (RVC) (with RCD510, RNS510 or Dynaudio) - $500
* Media Device Interface (MDI) - $270
* Vienna Leather Upholstery - $3,300
* Motorsport Front Seats, Micro Fibre/Leather Upholstery - $5,300
* Electric Driver's Seat (only with Leather & 5 door) - $600
* Adaptive Chassis Control - $1,500

Not sure if those list prices are correct, cos the bloke i spoke to today paid $73k, and even if all those boxes were ticked with the prices listed +ORC (and he didn't get the $5k race seats) it puts it well under that 73k...

But if they are correct, i'd get 3 door with leather, adaptive chassis and maybe the premium audio and that would be decently priced!!!

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 11:16 PM
some pics i took today.........

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101760.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101759.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101758.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101757.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101756.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101755.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101754.jpg

hazrd
14th June 2010, 11:17 PM
only $1500 difference for 2 extra doors? :confused:

poita
14th June 2010, 11:19 PM
black wheels do not suit a darker blue car, wtf where they thinking

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 11:24 PM
black wheels do not suit a darker blue car, wtf where they thinking

haha funny you mention that, the guy i met at the dealer, the only reason he was there was cos they stuffed up his order and ordered his blue car with black wheels instead of the polished wheels, but decided to see one with black wheels before getting the wheels swapped!!!

the colour match between the black wheels and the blacked out body parts is not great, otherwise if they matched, it would look quite nice IMO

sooty
14th June 2010, 11:29 PM
Hmmm, not sold on the looks, I will however wait until I see it in the metal to pass judgement (ie about 10 hours :lol:)

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 11:31 PM
Hmmm, not sold on the looks, I will however wait until I see it in the metal to pass judgement (ie about 10 hours :lol:)

only thing i hate is the big front badge, id get an irsmcher-esque badgeless grille, if theres one available.....

J
14th June 2010, 11:32 PM

Interesting video. Did anyone notice the manual model tested was a 5-door, and the DSG was a 3-door? Their kerb weights are not that different, are they?

Vectracious
14th June 2010, 11:44 PM
TBH - the normal GTi looks sportier - but then again, VW R's are always quite understated.

xplosv57
14th June 2010, 11:48 PM

my heart was set on a manual before seeing that video, maybe DSG is the way to go.......

Vectracious
15th June 2010, 12:04 AM
at the end of the day, the DSG will shift quicker than a manual car, plus you have launch control so you dont even need to think about getting the take off right - in the video on the second run in the manual he launched too high and said that the clutch didnt like it at all - the other launches it sounded like it bogged down a bit which wouldnt have helped his time. Listen to the DSG launching and it doesn't get bogged down at all.

GreyRex
15th June 2010, 12:05 AM
my heart was set on a manual before seeing that video, maybe DSG is the way to go.......

Only thing with that vid... it looks like the Red one (manual) has the 19" rims, as opposed to the Blue one (DSG), where the rims looks smaller

You can see the size difference at about the 20 second mark

Might make a small difference, not sure

Just a thought

JohnBu
15th June 2010, 10:14 AM
Very sharp pricing.

I like it, although I'm not sure if I want another hatch.

The only way I could think of improving it is to make it look alittle more aggressive. A tad to understated for my liking.

If you can drive manual, definitely get a manual, as it more fun.

Unless your definition of fun is to drag people at the lights.

sooty
15th June 2010, 10:18 AM
Looks much better in the metal. The blue is a great colour, and it definitely needs the 19's

btm
15th June 2010, 11:22 AM
hot!

Wraith
15th June 2010, 01:02 PM
135i is more expensive and looks dated next to the Golf R, 123d doesn't have the performance. I'd rather get a S/H 130i for less than 1/2 the price....

Plus AWD is a big seller, otherwise, like yourself have never really looked into a Golf GTi cos the SRi-T/VXR is a similar car for much less money!!

Not sure if those list prices are correct, cos the bloke i spoke to today paid $73k, and even if all those boxes were ticked with the prices listed +ORC (and he didn't get the $5k race seats) it puts it well under that 73k...

But if they are correct, i'd get 3 door with leather, adaptive chassis and maybe the premium audio and that would be decently priced!!!

Yes as mentioned I'm not sure on the accuracy of the price list I put up...The options list is 'probably correct' but the base car prices may be out ?? will find out for sure this weekend if my mate and I get a chance to rock up at a VW dealer, unless someone else from here does it 1st...

Agree with some of your assessments of the Beemers, but am looking at the 123d in a slightly different manner though, what it lacks in performance next to the 135i is more than made up for by the far better running economy and much lower purchase price...speaking of performance, it's only a fraction behind the 135i in rolling acceleration in all gears which is impressive to say the least and to hit 100km/h in 6.9 or 7.0sec is also impressive for an oiler...remap (177kw / 480-500nm) should see the 123d to around mid 6's for the 100km/h sprint and probably matching up or even beating a stock 135i in rolling acceleration...that's plenty performance :)

some pics i took today.........

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101760.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101759.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101758.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101757.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101756.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101755.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g252/xplosv57/140620101754.jpg

Those are the 2 I checked out...front end is what makes this car IMO.

DSG or any other automated manual would always be my preference over any stick shift manual anyday...that and AWD combination FTW !!!

Looks much better in the metal. The blue is a great colour, and it definitely needs the 19's

Agree, they do look good in the metal and yes definitely the 19's which fill up the arches very nicely...agree with Poita the black wheels on that blue one look terrible...luckily those 19's are available in silver too.

Not a fan of the blue colour myself, prefer the grey one...

Seen white in pics only and IMO it looks too bland in that colour, wonder if red is available for the Golf R - the Gti looks good in red so I'm assuming the R would too...

Wraith
15th June 2010, 01:32 PM
Just made an enquiry with a VW dealer and the price list I put up is accurate ! ie. on the base car price points

Here it is again:

Maybe the options cost more than that list to come to over 70k all up as quoted by Steve earlier ??

Also found out it's available in only 5 colours, rather than alot more like the rest of the Golf range, bummer...

rjastra
15th June 2010, 01:41 PM
Just made an enquiry with a VW dealer and the price list I put up is accurate ! ie. on the base car price points

Here it is again:

Maybe the options cost more than that list to come to over 70k all up as quoted by Steve earlier ??

Also found out it's available in only 5 colours, rather than alot more like the rest of the Golf range, bummer...

They are prices PRE on road costs

A base spec 3 door manual is about 53K on the road.
As you start adding options you cross the LCT threshold and you start paying extra taxes on the options.

The R is equipped similar to a GTI except 18 inch wheels and Xenons are standard.

If people are silly enough to load up a $50K car with $20K of options then good luck to them :P

Wraith
15th June 2010, 01:51 PM
They are prices PRE on road costs

A base spec 3 door manual is about 53K on the road.
As you start adding options you cross the LCT threshold and you start paying extra taxes on the options.

The R is equipped similar to a GTI except 18 inch wheels and Xenons are standard.

If people are silly enough to load up a $50K car with $20K of options then good luck to them :P

Yes rj, base price points minus ORC's and options as per earlier post on previous pages...

They are lower than 1st speculalted...

Base kit out is similar to a Gti, as noted it is fitted with adaptive Bi Xenos and 18's as standard which would already cost you thousands more to add on base Gti.

It also has better LED tail lights, better colour/finish standard seats, better side skirts and fully painted front and rear grille and inserts as standard.

You can option other Golfs with the LED tail ights from what I know, then it all starts to add up on lesser models as well...

With all the above bits plus the AWD and better stronger engine and along with far better finish base seats, the R is worth the extra coin over the Gti IMO :)

It's still less than you'd pay for an Sti or Evo...

rjastra
15th June 2010, 02:58 PM
Yes rj, base price points minus ORC's and options as per earlier post on previous pages...

They are lower than 1st speculalted...

Base kit out is similar to a Gti, as noted it is fitted with adaptive Bi Xenos and 18's as standard which would already cost you thousands more to add on base Gti.

It also has better LED tail lights, better colour/finish standard seats, better side skirts and fully painted front and rear grille and inserts as standard.

You can option other Golfs with the LED tail ights from what I know, then it all starts to add up on lesser models as well...

With all the above bits plus the AWD and better stronger engine and along with far better finish base seats, the R is worth the extra coin over the Gti IMO :)

It's still less than you'd pay for an Sti or Evo...

Except at the moment you can get a 3dr GTI on the road for $39K ;)

Wraith
15th June 2010, 04:16 PM
Except at the moment you can get a 3dr GTI on the road for $39K ;)

Good price, if a Gti is what you want ;)

For anyone interested, there's now a company in Sydney importing the Scirocco R from NZ !!!

Sounds good until you read up on their quoted pricing and terms - 70k drive away (one spec only which AFAIK is the base Scirocco R spec) and only 1 year warranty :(

I'd love one but no thanks at that price and half arsed warranty...don't care how good looking they are that's a crap deal IMO.

hazrd
15th June 2010, 10:23 PM
got a couple of pics of the black one at Werribee VW when i dropped the gti off to get a wheel balance done....

http://i50.tinypic.com/suy4j8.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/mc3bj4.jpg

personally, i like these wheels better

Vectracious
16th June 2010, 07:03 AM
GTI wheels would be easier to clean - although these wouldn't be too bad. Look too similar to the GTI Pirelli wheels though.

Wraith
16th June 2010, 01:09 PM
got a couple of pics of the black one at Werribee VW when i dropped the gti off to get a wheel balance done....

http://i50.tinypic.com/suy4j8.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/mc3bj4.jpg

personally, i like these wheels better

Looks nice in black, personally I'd pick the dark grey over black though, bit easier to look after and keep clean and makes the piano black painted bits stand out more :)

Agree too about the wheels, silver's the go black ones look shite on any of the duco colours IMO...

GTI wheels would be easier to clean - although these wouldn't be too bad. Look too similar to the GTI Pirelli wheels though.

That's true, but they're also a very crap looking wheel, they remind me of old Alfa style wheels...thank goodness VW put a set of decent looking ones on the R and Scirocco...

Speaking of bits n pieces the downside with this new R is that your resricted on outside duco and interior leather choice of colours, compared to the Gti and other variants...it's only available in 5 exterior colours and leather option is available only in black...

sooty
16th June 2010, 01:26 PM
Got bored so did a really quick (and poor) chop of what it's like lowered without the black wheels.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ngevsi.jpg

Wraith
16th June 2010, 05:49 PM
Got bored so did a really quick (and poor) chop of what it's like lowered without the black wheels.

http://i49.tinypic.com/ngevsi.jpg

Nice !!!

Now that's more like it... :thumbs:

There's heaps of pics on the net of the R in all colours sporting the 19" silver wheels and all look good...saves having to spend more money updating to a decent looking set of wheels :)

Speaking of lowering AFAIK the adaptive ride option can't be lowered...at least that's what the go is on Audi forums with those models that are fitted with the same thing in the Audi range...

rjastra
17th June 2010, 08:40 AM
That's true, but they're also a very crap looking wheel, they remind me of old Alfa style wheels...thank goodness VW put a set of decent looking ones on the R and Scirocco...

Speaking of bits n pieces the downside with this new R is that your resricted on outside duco and interior leather choice of colours, compared to the Gti and other variants...it's only available in 5 exterior colours and leather option is available only in black...

The Mk6 GTI only has one colour leather option - black. And is availble in 5 paint colours :)

Wraith
17th June 2010, 01:13 PM
The Mk6 GTI only has one colour leather option - black. And is availble in 5 paint colours :)

Oops my bad, I must have counted wrong when I was at the dealership last weekend, there were 7 different colours on them there ?? maybe I included Gtd's and standard Golfs as well as Gti's in my colour count ??

Also when speaking to a dealer the other day, I was told the Gti can be optioned with either black or beige colour vienna leather interior ??

I have seen Mk5 Gti's with the beige interior...

The whole leather thing dosn't concern me much though, I like the basic cloth trim on the R and cloth makes for better everyday use, both pattern and colour look great and saves having to spend money to option up to leather :)

Different story with the Gti basic cloth seats, if you don't fancy that tartan finish you have to spend up to go to leather, there's no other cloth choice :(

JohnBu
17th June 2010, 01:26 PM
Seats look ok, alittle cheap looking. I would prefer to see some 'alacantara' rather than cloth.

$50k on a car, I would want to see leather.

The leather ones look exactly like my GTI ones, which is the same as the R32 ones.

I'll see if I can book a test drive of one when my GTI is in for warranty repairs next month.

SIMid
18th June 2010, 08:44 AM
Review in Cars Guide today.

glider
18th June 2010, 02:07 PM
saw a grey golf R driving around today, only saw the rear, tinted tail lights and led brake pattern looks alright...

GreyRex
18th June 2010, 02:11 PM
Review in Cars Guide today.

Not much of a review tho

The bottom third of 2 pages...

JohnBu
18th June 2010, 03:25 PM
Read the first comment- that fu(ker's right .. haha

jimeegee
18th June 2010, 05:46 PM
Last week was the official release of the vehicle in Australia and was held in Tasmania so all the local press got the opportunity to test the vehicle on "typical Australian style" roads which will be a much better indication than the carsguide review (which is not a review at all).

The member of the press I was speaking to said they managed to get a much better figure out of the car than the quoted 5.7 0-100. It recorded a 5.2, however I have no idea of the conditions, but being in Tassie myself I can tell you it was severely cold that day which would have helped, but potentially damp too.

Pricing is very impressive and the member of the press advised he thought people would have to be crazy to pass one up and buy an Audi S3. I figure the Audi's Quattro system would be much better than the VW 4Motion system though, but an extra $30k is alot of dough!

I haven't checked one out yet, but on paper, it's everything I'd want :)

Wraith
18th June 2010, 05:50 PM
Seats look ok, alittle cheap looking. I would prefer to see some 'alacantara' rather than cloth.

$50k on a car, I would want to see leather.

The leather ones look exactly like my GTI ones, which is the same as the R32 ones.

I'll see if I can book a test drive of one when my GTI is in for warranty repairs next month.

The Golf R standard cloth seats do indeed feature some alcantara inserts... :)

Cloth will look much better after a year or 2, leather looks shite after a little wear n tear, especially the drivers seat...but each to his own in the end :)

Will try and go for a test drive this weekend, ie. time allowing :)

Wraith
18th June 2010, 06:02 PM
saw a grey golf R driving around today, only saw the rear, tinted tail lights and led brake pattern looks alright...

Agree, the grey one looks good...

Read the first comment- that fu(ker's right .. haha

Where's that review ?? there's heaps anyway, both published and video reviews, all good hardly any negatives...

Last week was the official release of the vehicle in Australia and was held in Tasmania so all the local press got the opportunity to test the vehicle on "typical Australian style" roads which will be a much better indication than the carsguide review (which is not a review at all).

The member of the press I was speaking to said they managed to get a much better figure out of the car than the quoted 5.7 0-100. It recorded a 5.2, however I have no idea of the conditions, but being in Tassie myself I can tell you it was severely cold that day which would have helped, but potentially damp too.

Pricing is very impressive and the member of the press advised he thought people would have to be crazy to pass one up and buy an Audi S3. I figure the Audi's Quattro system would be much better than the VW 4Motion system though, but an extra $30k is alot of dough!

I haven't checked one out yet, but on paper, it's everything I'd want :)

Sounds good by the sound of things, quicker than expected !

Pricing is very good, usually it's more than the equivalent Euro pricing, but this time it's lower...

AFAIK the Audi S3 has exactly the same engine and AWD Haldex 4 running gear and most reviews say that it's a better drive than the S3 as well :)

greeny
18th June 2010, 07:40 PM
golf r looks nice and sounds great just read the car's guide review not bad

SIMid
18th June 2010, 08:46 PM
Not much of a review tho

The bottom third of 2 pages...

I just saw the cover and later looked at the article, pretty piss poor.

Wraith
18th June 2010, 09:41 PM
I just saw the cover and later looked at the article, pretty piss poor.

Is this the one ?? http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/news-and-reviews/car-reviews-road-tests/vw_golf_R_review

John Bu has left a comment :)

GreyRex
19th June 2010, 01:58 AM
Saw this vid

Golf R vs Scirocco R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkGYzNe-rs

SIMid
19th June 2010, 02:25 PM
John Bu has left a comment :)

I'm going to leave one as well. :p

poita
19th June 2010, 05:23 PM
I'm going to leave one as well. :p

pfff your all talk, i see no comment :p

SIMid
19th June 2010, 09:33 PM
pfff your all talk, i see no comment :p

Gotta be approved.

GTA900
21st June 2010, 12:33 AM
I like the led lights

gman
21st June 2010, 08:50 AM
Saw a black one last nite heading north on the F3. Led lights are very nice. Looks very narrow from behind, would be cool with flared guards. And doesn't sound as nice as the old R32's (not that I'm biased at all!)

But I will say the guy driving it was certainly giving it a hard run, and it was QUICK!!!! :)

Wraith
21st June 2010, 12:53 PM
Saw one this morning (blue example) parked outside Watergardens gym...looks like there's already some owned and getting around :)

LED tail lights do look good, AFAIK all Golfs are going oss over to the LED tail lights eventually...ATM they're still an optional extra on the Gti.

GreyRex
24th June 2010, 03:35 PM
A review

http://www.caradvice.com.au/71438/volkswagen-golf-r-review/

Wraith
24th June 2010, 05:51 PM
I suppose that says it all...

Agree about the Audi style sport seats too, they're over kill for any Golf...I'd gladly option them in a hi po sport Audi model though ;)

kabel
25th June 2010, 08:10 PM
I suppose that says it all...

Agree about the Audi style sport seats too, they're over kill for any Golf...I'd gladly option them in a hi po sport Audi model though ;)
That is like saying leather couches are overkill for a granny flat !
If you gunna ride....ride in style.:swg:

gman
26th June 2010, 03:35 PM
Just test drove a Golf R at Hornsby VW.

First impression, solid and moderately quick. Very linear power, no surge just smooth.

Exhaust a little flat, DSG is still very good.

Wouldn't get the 19's, tends to tramline and make the already firm ride a little choppy.

Overall a very good car, quick but doesn't feel fast, handles very well.

7.5/10

Wraith
28th June 2010, 12:59 PM
That is like saying leather couches are overkill for a granny flat !
If you gunna ride....ride in style.:swg:

LOL fair enough :)

Just test drove a Golf R at Hornsby VW.

First impression, solid and moderately quick. Very linear power, no surge just smooth.

Exhaust a little flat, DSG is still very good.

Wouldn't get the 19's, tends to tramline and make the already firm ride a little choppy.

Overall a very good car, quick but doesn't feel fast, handles very well.

7.5/10

I'm still trying to book one in at that same Springvale Rd. dealer...might try another dealer instead.

As for the ride GMan, was this particular vehicle fitted with 'mag ride' or not ??

I'm getting conflicting views as to whether 19's work well with comfort mode selected, but not so good with 19's and the standard suspension set up...

gman
28th June 2010, 05:57 PM
No adaptable suspension, just the standard shocks and springs and 19's..

KingOfAstras
28th June 2010, 06:10 PM
Test drove the Golf R about 2 weeks ago - Bloody beautiful car! Drove it with the DSG box - The engine sounded great, the turbo had a nice whistle and the torque pulled you back into the seat. Leather option is a must, extremely comfortable, although even the non-leather optioned seats still felt great. The car also gripped, especially around corners - Love the 4motion AWD ;-)!

If you can fork out 53k minimum for a 3 door or 56k for a 5 door then I'd definitely go for it.

gman
28th June 2010, 11:59 PM
The dealer I was at said they r now looking at December delivery for next shipment of cars.

Wraith
29th June 2010, 05:09 PM
No adaptable suspension, just the standard shocks and springs and 19's..

Ah ok thanks for that, sounds about right...maybe with adaptable suspension (magnetic ride) 19's should be ok :)

Test drove the Golf R about 2 weeks ago - Bloody beautiful car! Drove it with the DSG box - The engine sounded great, the turbo had a nice whistle and the torque pulled you back into the seat. Leather option is a must, extremely comfortable, although even the non-leather optioned seats still felt great. The car also gripped, especially around corners - Love the 4motion AWD ;-)!

If you can fork out 53k minimum for a 3 door or 56k for a 5 door then I'd definitely go for it.

Pretty much sounds the same as driving an Audi TTS by the sounds of things, I'll get a go shortly and judge for myself...IMO those prices won't get you a decent kit fit out, unless you get an ex-demo or S/H...I got quoted at 63k for all the bells and whistles except leather which comes inclusive of electric drivers seat in that option, otherwise everything else ticked for that 63k drive away price brand spanking new and that's for the 5 door variant :)

The dealer I was at said they r now looking at December delivery for next shipment of cars.

Yep same here, if you order a specific vehicle you'll have to wait the better part of 6 months for delivery - AFAIK that goes for any VAG group vehicle order placed here in Aust. similar story for a BMW or Merc.

JohnBu
29th June 2010, 05:21 PM
6 months is a long time to wait for a car, although the Golf R should be worth waiting for.

I'd get one with 18s for better performance, with no options apart from leather.

You seriously looking at getting one Ange?

Wraith
30th June 2010, 09:34 AM
6 months is a long time to wait for a car, although the Golf R should be worth waiting for.

I'd get one with 18s for better performance, with no options apart from leather.

You seriously looking at getting one Ange?

Always going for the better looks I suppose, as the Golf even this R model still looks a bit too plain for my liking, so 19's I'd still prefer with adjustable suspension, although I'll have to take one for a thorough test drive to determine if that combination works or not...

As for getting one I'm definitely keen and have narrowed it down to 2 main choices for a new daily drive ATM, the Golf R and BMW 123d (coupe variant)...still to test drive either of them...and both are good in alot of ways, the BMW 123d is certainly the 1st oiler I'd be interested in buying, it's scored highly on most if not all reviews, AFAIK it's got the highest score I've ever seen on a carsales review, ie. 4.5/5.0

I still want to see and explore the new Reno Megane RS250 later this year as well, don't want to be in a position where I'd want to change my mind while still waiting for something else :o

I'm in no hurry, so will see what happens...

dieselhead
30th June 2010, 10:56 AM
The R is a 6-12 months late IMHO. Order one now, get it by Xmas is you're lucky and then 12 months later PRESTO! new Golf MK VII is on the market...

Wraith
30th June 2010, 01:12 PM
The R is a 6-12 months late IMHO. Order one now, get it by Xmas is you're lucky and then 12 months later PRESTO! new Golf MK VII is on the market...

Your probably right, but then there'll be a further wait for the top spec variants, usually another 12 months down the track from the initial garden variety model releases...so realistically 2013-14 for a Mk7 Gti or R ?? don't know really...

I suppose it all depends what people want and what time frame they need it in, I'm certainly in no hurry :)

I've seen some interesting images of 'so called' Mk7 Golf prototype/test vehicles and it appears like a much better looking and updated vehicle from those pics than the current Mk6 which wasn't much of an update on the Mk5.

I'd expect the interior to be far better too, the current new Polo definitely has some interior updated cues which are ahead of the Mk6 Golf, eg. the centre console being better contoured and angled towards the driver as opposed to the straight 'bench look' dash layout that's been around on cars from over 20 years ago...

xplosv57
30th June 2010, 05:16 PM
As for getting one I'm definitely keen and have narrowed it down to 2 main choices for a new daily drive ATM, the Golf R and BMW 123d (coupe variant)...

don't want to be in a position where I'd want to change my mind while still waiting for something else :o

I'm in no hurry, so will see what happens...

LOL i am going to have a heart attack the day you actually buy yourself a new car!!!

Pretty sure your short list has completely changed as well so i think any car you buy you will regret it in some way!!!

GreyRex
30th June 2010, 05:37 PM
LOL i am going to have a heart attack the day you actually buy yourself a new car!!!

Pretty sure your short list has completely changed as well so i think any car you buy you will regret it in some way!!!

+1

hazrd
30th June 2010, 05:45 PM
the current new Polo definitely has some interior updated cues which are ahead of the Mk6 Golf, eg. the centre console being better contoured and angled towards the driver as opposed to the straight 'bench look' dash layout that's been around on cars from over 20 years ago...

only real downside on the new polo is the centre armrest, absolute PITA as its in the way of the handbrake, and going into 2nd 4th and 6th its still in the way lol

and i agree with steve, the two of us will need an ambulance the day you buy a new car :lol:

Wraith
1st July 2010, 12:47 PM
+1

only real downside on the new polo is the centre armrest, absolute PITA as its in the way of the handbrake, and going into 2nd 4th and 6th its still in the way lol

and i agree with steve, the two of us will need an ambulance the day you buy a new car :lol:

:sarcasm:Sarcasm

LOL no really have already mentioned it numerous times, I'm in no hurry in getting myself a new daily drive :)

And also mentioned numerous times that I've purchased new cars at a ratio of approx. one every 2.5 years over the last 11 years !!!

Some for myself, some for my family members and all mostly funded by myself ;)

So go ahead and have your heart attacks :lol:

There's one of you 3 I wouldn't bother reviving :swg:

Red AH SRI T
1st July 2010, 02:29 PM

I've never found that to be a problem. I have no problem getting the handbrake on and off with it down either. If ur changing gears frequently you just fold it up out of the way, as you're not likely to use it anyway.

xplosv57
1st July 2010, 04:59 PM
There's one of you 3 I wouldn't bother reviving :swg:

=( im sorry!

hazrd
1st July 2010, 05:05 PM
i know im safe because i still have a calibra :swg:

I've never found that to be a problem. I have no problem getting the handbrake on and off with it down either. If ur changing gears frequently you just fold it up out of the way, as you're not likely to use it anyway.

true, pretty much all i was doing anyway, i suppose its better than most euro cars where it doesnt even exist!!

Wraith
1st July 2010, 06:12 PM
=( im sorry!

That's ok Steve, no need for appologies, I'd gladly revive you, but not with my own mouth :D

Anyway I shouldn't stray off topic anymore :)

The short comings mentioned about the Polo have IMO been purposely done to degrade the Golf (and other higher VAG's) to not outshine them in their price point categories...

Clearly to me the interior design is newer/better but those things like the full fitment of steering switches and console inserts are left out to make it more povo based on lower price...

I'll bet the new Golf Mk7 will incorporate a similar contoured dash design as the new Polo now has, it might even incorporate the new metal fold lines along the flanks and front end bar styling and headlights design which are also IMO much newer and ahead of the Mk 6 Golf, now very similar in look to Audis :)

kabel
1st July 2010, 09:20 PM
Our Audi has the centre armrest....it is a bit of of a pain,I drive with it up but my girlfriends is happy with it down.
Guess I must be a bit broarder than my broard !

Wraith
2nd July 2010, 01:04 PM
Our Audi has the centre armrest....it is a bit of of a pain,I drive with it up but my girlfriends is happy with it down.
Guess I must be a bit broarder than my broard !

I've found that factory or OEM arm rests work, aftermarket ones suck...except for auto trans equipped vehicles, no probs with any arm rests there :)

I do the same as you with my cars with aftermarket ones fitted, ie. lift the thing up when driving through traffic situations...

hazrd
3rd July 2010, 03:49 PM
Save me starting a new thread (considering this is still kinda on topic).. check out APR's 420hp Golf R build !!

http://www.goapr.com.au/apr_vehicles_golf_r.html

xplosv57
3rd July 2010, 04:37 PM
Save me starting a new thread (considering this is still kinda on topic).. check out APR's 420hp Golf R build !!

http://www.goapr.com.au/apr_vehicles_golf_r.html

i hate you.

thats fkn cool makes me want one more!!!

although after seeing one last night, im not sure about those tail lights, bit too low budget ricer for me...

MatsHolden
3rd July 2010, 07:35 PM
i hate you.

thats fkn cool makes me want one more!!!

although after seeing one last night, im not sure about those tail lights, bit too low budget ricer for me...

Really? I like the look of the 'blade' illuminated.

xplosv57
3rd July 2010, 07:40 PM
Really? I like the look of the 'blade' illuminated.

id like it more if it was lit up the whole way round, not just cut off....

id still buy one, heck ill be driving it not behind it hehehe!!!!

MatsHolden
3rd July 2010, 07:42 PM
id like it more if it was lit up the whole way round, not just cut off....

id still buy one, heck ill be driving it not behind it hehehe!!!!

lol true. Would you really pay $70k for a hatch though?

xplosv57
3rd July 2010, 07:45 PM
lol true. Would you really pay $70k for a hatch though?

i think a better question is, would i pay 70k for a car in general!!!

but 70k would be a 5 door DSG with almost every option, id get a fairly basic model 3 door which should be around the mid 50 mark, which i still cant afford!!

MatsHolden
3rd July 2010, 07:51 PM
i think a better question is, would i pay 70k for a car in general!!!

but 70k would be a 5 door DSG with almost every option, id get a fairly basic model 3 door which should be around the mid 50 mark, which i still cant afford!!

Ahh ok. Not too bad around mid 50k then.

dieselhead
4th July 2010, 07:31 PM
Seen the R for the first time tonight, a silver one on black 19'' wheels, DSG and leather. I have to say it was pretty dissapointing, looked like it was trying too hard, almost ricer like... And then it was the price: not much change from $65k drive away. That is way too much for a Golf...
Worst thing of all, I felt no emotion looking at it. Not the car for me, for sure.