PDA

View Full Version : How much did you spend on painting a spoiler?

HoldenAstra
8th June 2010, 10:02 PM
Got a genuine AH spoiler, so painting next.

I have not called around yet. I just want to be prepared before I get ridiculous quote. How much did you spend on painting?

and also any recommended place to go in Sydney?

I will install it myself. Any tricky things I should know before putting it on?

Thanks!

The thing is here:
http://users.tpg.com.au/jiaojiao/Astra/AH Spoiler 01.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/jiaojiao/Astra/AH Spoiler 02.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/jiaojiao/Astra/AH Spoiler 03.JPG

mmahle
8th June 2010, 10:08 PM
$50.

I've taken off mine, it's a bit tricky. It was glued on, not bolted. So you've gotta take extreme care or else you can snap it off without an easy break. Also, depending on the spoiler and if it sits lower. Mine did. So it had rubber from the previous outline of the spoiler. I had to sand it down, and repaint that bit as well.

gmonkey
8th June 2010, 10:12 PM
expect to pay $150-200 ussually cause u will need it preped and primed aswell

HoldenAstra
8th June 2010, 10:31 PM
Does READY TO PAINT mean that it's been prepared and primed?

I have not picked it up. Is the RED thing in the third picture double sided tape?Is the spoiler double sided taped on the car?

maloo97
8th June 2010, 10:34 PM
Anywhere from $80.00 - $200.00 - Depends on where and who you know!

gmonkey
8th June 2010, 10:35 PM
ready to paint yes means just that but i wouldnt trust it.. people ussually use crap primers on the cheap which may effect ur paint even cause it to shrink. always worthwhile getting a good job done once :)

double sided tape ussually is just used for holding it in place while glueing.. i use stikaflex to hold down spoilers and other things

gmonkey
8th June 2010, 10:35 PM
also from that picture u posted i can tell u it isnt ready to paint.. theres no primer on that

HoldenAstra
8th June 2010, 10:40 PM
oops...Can I trust genuine Holden parts?

Can I install it without gluing? just use double sided tape. Glue=Mess

gmonkey
8th June 2010, 10:56 PM
i wouldnt trust double sided tape to hold it down at 100km/h

PS88
8th June 2010, 11:05 PM
Don't tell me you bought that from Ebay ? I saw a very similar product on Ebay not while ago..

HoldenAstra
9th June 2010, 08:16 AM
Don't tell me you bought that from Ebay ? I saw a very similar product on Ebay not while ago..

Yes, you are very right. The seller is from a Holden dealer.

Wraith
9th June 2010, 01:05 PM
Anywhere from $80.00 - $200.00 - Depends on where and who you know!

+ 1 !

Exactly the way it works for this kind of thing...

I could get something like that done for around $60 - mates rates...but if you just rock up to a panel shop off the street it'll cost you around at least $100 up I'd imagine and ie. for a job job and finish, not a quicky...

HoldenAstra
11th June 2010, 11:20 PM
pick it up this morning.

real good stuff, genuine

and it's primed ready.

Keep'emRunning
12th June 2010, 08:42 AM
the tape will hold it down.. some of the 3M tapes will actually pull the paint and basecoat off the metal before they let go.. yes they are that adhesive.

Since it's been primed all you will need to do is scuff it back with scotchbrite (or a soft green scouring pad or 2400) If there's any pinholes/defects (unlikely as it's molded abs) fixing them beforehand will save you $$.

Painting.. solid colour probably in the $200 range, metallic (matched) add another $50.. that should include clearcoat and baking.

Both coats of course in 2K.. steer clear of any shops that use enamels/acrylics on the cheap. Also ask if they'll give you a small amount of paint to touch up chips later on as well.

Vectramatic
12th June 2010, 09:54 AM
Got a genuine AH spoiler, so painting next.

I have not called around yet. I just want to be prepared before I get ridiculous quote. How much did you spend on painting?

and also any recommended place to go in Sydney?

That is going to look great on your car. Post up some pics when you're done!

I will install it myself. Any tricky things I should know before putting it on?

Thanks!

The thing is here:
http://users.tpg.com.au/jiaojiao/Astra/AH Spoiler 01.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/jiaojiao/Astra/AH Spoiler 02.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/jiaojiao/Astra/AH Spoiler 03.JPG

HoldenAstra
12th June 2010, 12:42 PM
the tape will hold it down.. some of the 3M tapes will actually pull the paint and basecoat off the metal before they let go.. yes they are that adhesive.

Yes, for this spoiler, the RED part in PIC 3 has full contact with the tailgate up side edge. I think good double sided tape (3M VHB) can hold the spoiler very firm. Unlike the spoiler on Astra G has two feet contact.

The only 3M VHB I can buy is from 3M Australia website. But one singe roll is 33 meters and price is $79.91 Exc GST. That's too long. I don't need that much. Any one know other places I can get 3M VHB in Australia?

The other tape I am considering is easy to buy from Woolworth, 3M Scotch® Super Strong Exterior Mounting Tape. I just do not know how good is it.

Otherwise I can only buy some VHB tape from UK. The seller has not confirmed that if it's 3M brand yet.

Since it's been primed all you will need to do is scuff it back with scotchbrite (or a soft green scouring pad or 2400) If there's any pinholes/defects (unlikely as it's molded abs) fixing them beforehand will save you $$.

It has factory prime and no defects. In the fitting instructions, it says ready for painting too. I think that's good enough.

Painting.. solid colour probably in the $200 range, metallic (matched) add another $50.. that should include clearcoat and baking.
Both coats of course in 2K.. steer clear of any shops that use enamels/acrylics on the cheap. Also ask if they'll give you a small amount of paint to touch up chips later on as well.

Unfortunately, mine is metallic black. I will get quotes next week. Actually the guy from Holden parts department recommended two panel shops to me. Holden is their customer.

Thanks for your great help!

jlgu
12th June 2010, 01:35 PM
Nice, I want one too

HoldenAstra
26th June 2010, 11:54 PM
FYI

I paid $150 for painting! It's done by a holden recommended smash repairs!

I am very happy with the color match. I did not have to leave my car there for color match.

&

I bought a roll of 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape from eBay US. The tape is around 25 AUD including shipping.

I will post a HOW TO for fitting later.