PDA

View Full Version : defected :(

joshie_k
4th June 2010, 01:23 PM
i had a rude start to the day yesterday. mr police man followed me for a little while which i thought nothing of. then when i pulled into the tuggerah westfield carpark there he is still in my mirror..i park the car and he pulls up behind me.
he defects my car for "illegaly mounted intercooler" and the pod filter..frustrating much.

now i have 10 days to get it amended. holden have come to the party in repairing it for which is good for me.

there is really no point for this post i just wanted to vent my anger lol.
ill post some pics of my car up here when i get a chance

mr corsa
4th June 2010, 01:27 PM
Do u have any pics of this illegaly mounted intercooler? And welcome to the forum

gmonkey
4th June 2010, 01:50 PM
Is it aftermarket or stock cooler (guessing stock if Holden is fixing it)

guy 27
4th June 2010, 02:10 PM
what classed your pod filter as being illegally mounted?

Neeko
4th June 2010, 03:12 PM
actually thank you for posting this! this gives us good insights

mr corsa
4th June 2010, 03:14 PM
seen the pic in your intro and thats a old members car long time ago members name was kissy car is from the gong iirc ?

Neeko
4th June 2010, 03:22 PM
probably becuase the bumper was cut out. Hopefully holden won't replace the bumper and charge you for it.

chrissn89
4th June 2010, 09:03 PM
Hmm my guess is the cop didn't like the cut bumper... Is the front crash bar cut at all?

Question, how is Holden making it legal?

joshie_k
5th June 2010, 09:06 AM
nuh the crash bar hasnt been cut..the only thing cut is the bumper.lol.
the pod filter is aparently illegal as there is no box/cover over it and the cop rekns they flam out sometimes so it needs a box of some discription over it.
the cooler was aftermarket so holden is either going to put a standard ic on it or some how modify the front bar to make it comply (it did hang out a little bit from the front of the car)
and no i dont have any photo's of it installed..should have taken some aye

chrissn89
5th June 2010, 01:27 PM
nuh the crash bar hasnt been cut..the only thing cut is the bumper.lol.
the pod filter is aparently illegal as there is no box/cover over it and the cop rekns they flam out sometimes so it needs a box of some discription over it.
the cooler was aftermarket so holden is either going to put a standard ic on it or some how modify the front bar to make it comply (it did hang out a little bit from the front of the car)
and no i dont have any photo's of it installed..should have taken some aye

Hope Holden don't charge you to much for a stock intercooler and piping. Ive got one and all the piping in the garage at home. Sounds like a doggy home job on the front mount intercooler, i know most if not all the guying running a FMIC have not had to cut the front bar and it all sits behind the grille.

Id love to see a flame come out of a pod filter or how they can become saturated with fuel and catch fire (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ipromise/come-patrol-with-the-hoon-squad/story-fn55yw9h-1225842561655)? If this happens to a pod filter why does it not happen to a panel filter? How does fuel come incontact with the air filter on a fuel injected car, now add a turbo and intercooler i honestly cant see it happening unless something is seriously wrong. Can someone please explain?

joshie_k
5th June 2010, 02:13 PM
lol yeah i think it was a home job..especially looking at how the bumper had been cut..didnt look too crash hot. holden are doing it all at their cost so thats a good thing for me. they have been very cooperative with me which i appreciate.
i think they are putting a factory air box back on it and either modifying the front bar to make it comply or removing it and replacing the bar at their cost. either way i dont mind as long as its all good

ill have to make sure they put a stock cooler back on it too aye..the guy didnt think they came with one but i was pritty sure they did. time is ticking for them

chrissn89
5th June 2010, 02:29 PM
lol yeah i think it was a home job..especially looking at how the bumper had been cut..didnt look too crash hot. holden are doing it all at their cost so thats a good thing for me. they have been very cooperative with me which i appreciate.
i think they are putting a factory air box back on it and either modifying the front bar to make it comply or removing it and replacing the bar at their cost. either way i dont mind as long as its all good

ill have to make sure they put a stock cooler back on it too aye..the guy didnt think they came with one but i was pritty sure they did. time is ticking for them

Oh so you purchased the astra turbo from a Holden Dealer ship as a roadworthy car, but obvisouly its not. So now they have to make it comply at their cost i wonder how it passed the road worthy in the first place lol. Would be nice if you got a new front bar (you'll faint at how much they cost easily above the $1k mark)

And yes the came with a stock side mount intercooler. About the size of an A4 peice of paper. Looking at the front of the car they sit over to the right hand side.

Hope its all sorted out asap for you.

glider
5th June 2010, 05:21 PM

have fun with the hot air from the stock cooler :lol:

a bit crap you got defected for that tho, is it not possible to have the intercooler moved back a bit?

joshie_k
5th June 2010, 06:22 PM
nuh i dont think it is possiblle to move it back coz it seems quite wide and sits rite on the thermo fan..unless there is some type of slim line fan i can put on the radiator.
i wouldnt mind if they put a new bar on it for me..i think it would look better with the whole thing on it lol

mania
5th June 2010, 06:43 PM
Id love to see a flame come out of a pod filter or how they can become saturated with fuel and catch fire (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ipromise/come-patrol-with-the-hoon-squad/story-fn55yw9h-1225842561655)? If this happens to a pod filter why does it not happen to a panel filter? How does fuel come incontact with the air filter on a fuel injected car, now add a turbo and intercooler i honestly cant see it happening unless something is seriously wrong. Can someone please explain?

Rofl, brilliant link. Perhaps they're referring to carbies? No idea.

But to give their stories a tiny bit of credibility a flame could be shot from a pod filter if your car back-fired through the inlet (should that be front-fired?). But given a lot of older cars without cold air intakes just have an opening in the side of the airbox which'd be no better then a pod filter at muffling a back-fire, it's pretty moot.