PDA

View Full Version : Interested in Buying a TS Astra as a daily

CeJay
25th May 2010, 09:49 PM
Hi All

Noobie here, thought I'd post this here, as I couldn't find a relevant thread when searching. I am interested in buying a TS Astra as a daily. Have an R32 Skyline GTS4 Sedan with an RB25DET in it. It's a bit impractical as a daily driver now, and guzzles too much fuel. Are there any relevant threads here in regards to buying a TS Astra?

I'd be interested in perhaps getting a CD Manual or A CDXI, or perhaps a 2.2 SRI. Are there any common failures or things to watch out for? As I have heard that the astras brake rotors need to be replaced every 60k and that a replacement brake caliper from Holden is 1100$ New. Just basically after any tips about common issues etc.

thanks in advance

apologies if there is a thread about this already and I just couldn't find it.

gmonkey
25th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Tips with the astra g

Common problems are alternators, coil packs and sometimes o2 sensors.

Never ever source parts from Holden use autovaux.co.uk instead

Buy the Sri 2.2 much more fun and get the coupe looks nicer :p

sooty
25th May 2010, 09:59 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, people will be along soon with the answers to all your questions.
Basically if it's parts prices that worry you, we pretty much all source our parts from autovaux in the UK, even with shipping it normally works out to less than half the price of places here.
The timing belts and water pumps need to be done more regularly than is initially stated in the service manual, think it's best if they're done every 90,000km, other than that i can't think of too many common issue off the top of my head.
the z22se (2.2 sri) seems to be an extremely reliable motor, most of the ones i can think of have had no issues whatsoever.

btm
26th May 2010, 08:38 AM
the z22se (2.2 sri) seems to be an extremely reliable motor, most of the ones i can think of have had no issues whatsoever.
exactly right. had mine since new (almost 7 years now) and never skipped a beat! has a timing chain, not a belt, so doesnt need replacing every 60,000km like the 1.8L engines do

welcome to the site too!

CeJay
26th May 2010, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome

So is anyone able to provide anymore info on what to look out for on a 2.2 sri or a CD or CDXI. The astra is just one of the cars im looking at. How long is the z22se good for? And what is the mod market like? If I got one I wouldn't mod it much, probably just a catback exhaust etc. Any issues specific to the TS i need to look out for?

gmonkey
26th May 2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome

So is anyone able to provide anymore info on what to look out for on a 2.2 sri or a CD or CDXI. The astra is just one of the cars im looking at. How long is the z22se good for? And what is the mod market like? If I got one I wouldn't mod it much, probably just a catback exhaust etc. Any issues specific to the TS i need to look out for?

Well guy27 has done a lot of kms on his, still running strong with his 2.2

glider
26th May 2010, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome

pretty much all I've done to mine, nice as a daily, doesnt get any attention and is pretty ok on fuel

guy 27
26th May 2010, 10:49 PM
Well guy27 has done a lot of kms on his, still running strong with his 2.2

210 000km and counting. Only issue to date is due to ethanol fuel. Oil changed every 5000km. If you decide on a 2.2 I recommend a post march 02 version so the timing chain nozzle is the updated version. And keep your eye on oil levels as they are built to use 1l per 1500km.

metry
26th May 2010, 11:47 PM
210 000km and counting. Only issue to date is due to ethanol fuel. Oil changed every 5000km. If you decide on a 2.2 I recommend a post march 02 version so the timing chain nozzle is the updated version. And keep your eye on oil levels as they are built to use 1l per 1500km. i think mine was made june 2002. ill check tomorrow morning. the issue was the nozzle would clog causing the timing chain to break right?

CeJay
27th May 2010, 12:16 AM
Is that build date or compliance date?

gmonkey
27th May 2010, 12:23 AM
would be build

guy 27
27th May 2010, 10:20 AM
i think mine was made june 2002. ill check tomorrow morning. the issue was the nozzle would clog causing the timing chain to break right?

Pretty much. It was a 1mm hole originally and if it got blocked then the chain would suffer oil starvation and would heat up and snap. Most cases you will hear a rattle and that's a sign to turn the car off and inspect and repair before you bend all the valves and damage the pistons.

The march date is the build date. There is also a list of engine numbers that you can check against if your car is a march build.

metry
27th May 2010, 06:40 PM
hey guys as for altenators going. the altenator in my gandmas zafira died and we just got it fixed. we had the original altenator reconditioned as well as reinstalled and a full service carried out on the car. it cost total of 550 and thats including the full service, alternator reconditioned and labour. as for replacing brake rotors, im pretty sure you could use a set of dba replacement rotors. better breaking and cheaper than getting rotors from holden.

JR
28th May 2010, 01:47 PM
hey guys as for altenators going. the altenator in my gandmas zafira died and we just got it fixed. we had the original altenator reconditioned as well as reinstalled and a full service carried out on the car. it cost total of 550 and thats including the full service, alternator reconditioned and labour.

the reason astra/zafira alternators commonly die is because complex design (some 2 stage thingy).
so if ur going to replace the alternator, i wouldn't get the same thing, nor reconditioned, because not only is it very expensive (brand new), it will fail again, over time.

u can get new, better designed (pully-less design) alternators for much cheaper. when mine died (2 months ago), i had it replaced with a brand new one, for a $550 fitted.

glider
28th May 2010, 06:36 PM
u can get new, better designed (pully-less design) alternators for much cheaper. when mine died (2 months ago), i had it replaced with a brand new one, for a $550 fitted.

could you post a pic of this setup?

metry
29th May 2010, 09:50 AM
only reason why we went reconditioned was we needed the car back on the road ASAP. if it breaks again we will probably go brand new.