PDA

View Full Version : replacing the battery in your astrag/zafira key

metry
25th May 2010, 11:41 AM
hey guys its alex here and my granma has a zafira. the problem is both of her keys have flat batteries. now i serached the forum but cant find a how to but i did find how to resync your key. i havent called holden yet cause i know it will be expensive. they charged me 180 to get another key for my astra g cause when i bought it it only came with one key. so i basicly wonna know what battery to use and how to the original battery. if theres already a thread for this can some one plz link me.

cheers

ps. i know i should of posted this in the zafira thread but lets be honest. no one even looks in there anymore.

gmonkey
25th May 2010, 12:40 PM
Battery is a CR2032 3volt pretty sure mate can buy them at local shops

boorny88
25th May 2010, 12:48 PM
Yep brents correct my batt was flat but when i pulled my key apart i found it had jumped of its seat haha bastard all you do to get it open is pull the key from the button part it should split then you split in half and walla you have your batt sitting there

metry
25th May 2010, 06:15 PM
ok guys so i opened up the spare key, and found that the battery wasnt in place properly. like its meant to be soldered onto the pcb and it was snapped clean off. so i wedged some paper above the battery to hold it in place put the key back together and all was good. i resynced the key and went to start the car and it almost started and died. i tried again and it fired over. drove to flower power to get some stuff for my grandma. cam back to the car and it wouldnt start. turns out the altenator is dead aswell. so thats getting fixed tomorrow. thanks for the help everyone

gmonkey
25th May 2010, 06:25 PM
Alternator sadly is very common problem on the astra g and zafira b mate

metry
25th May 2010, 06:42 PM
yeh. it dont bother us cause well find someone to fix it. i think it was an ongoing problem but yeh my dads good mate who was an auto electrician no longer does it anymore but he knows other people. lets just hope its not too expensive. as for the other key ill need to replace the battery. ill do that when i have time. thankyou for all the help every one has given me. when i come to change the battery ill make a propper how to section.

J
28th May 2010, 12:29 PM
Thank God it worked out ok metry. I understand that the keys are charged in the ignition when the engine is running, so a non-charging car could explain the dead key, too...

As for the bigger issue: I had the voltage regulator dying on mine not long ago (Astra G). It exhibits symptoms similar to a dead alternator, but it is a much cheaper part to replace, so I'd strongly suggest checking that out first.

In terms of a replacement part, PM me and I could ask my mechanic for you, otherwise there is a really good Astra wrecker you could try to get the part from. I can't find the thread right now...it's in the Astra section...

Hope this helps, and hope it all gets resolved for you soon!

metry
29th May 2010, 09:52 AM
thanks j. yutns pout it was thje altenator. the mechanic took it out sent it away and got it reconditioned. car works perfectly now