PDA

View Full Version : VXR Red No More-Written Off !

kabel
24th May 2010, 09:40 PM
Well nearly nine weeks after the hailstorms here in Perth the insurance company have nearly finished their paperwork and the news today was not good.

Our VXR Red is gone.

The buy back option is not viable for me at present as it would take too long to have the car repaired and back on the road.
It may make a reasonable project car for someone though as the panel damage is not that bad it was the water damage to the mechanical side that killed,quoted $20,000 for an engine re-build,including turbo,intercooler etc.

Although they could not say for certain how much damage was done until they tore it down the insurance company wanted the worst case scenario.

So I have to now think about a replacement car. :nonod:

gmonkey
24th May 2010, 09:43 PM
Nurb

hazrd
24th May 2010, 09:44 PM
nooooooooooo!!! :cryin: thats just crap mate !!

can they replace it with another VXR??

sooty
24th May 2010, 09:47 PM
Unlucky mate, but would you really have wanted it back after all that drama?

hazrd
24th May 2010, 09:55 PM
just wanted to kinda mention *cough* that theres this on *cough* carsales... *cough*

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8764119&__sid=127CF8D78542&__Qpb=true&Cr=7&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965530% 204294897099&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=16&silo=1011

kabel
24th May 2010, 09:58 PM
Unlucky mate, but would you really have wanted it back after all that drama?

No not really.
Guarantee it would not have came back the same car.
Just not certain about replacing it with another VXR now,have to go remove personal stuff from the car tomorrow.
Maybe I should buy her something a little more sedate.

kabel
24th May 2010, 10:01 PM
just wanted to kinda mention *cough* that theres this on *cough* carsales... *cough*

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8764119&__sid=127CF8D78542&__Qpb=true&Cr=7&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal |1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965530% 204294897099&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=16&silo=1011
Yep saw that.
As of last week I have a contact number for a Burg owner here in Perth,so I could see if they wish to sell.Just need to take a few days to think through my options though.

chrissn89
24th May 2010, 10:07 PM

Thats bad news about the car, but it wouldnt be the same car again if they fixed it tho. Good luck finding a new car for the Mrs. Maybe a nice sporty new Mazda 6 or the SP25 mazda 3....

kabel
24th May 2010, 10:14 PM
Thats bad news about the car, but it wouldnt be the same car again if they fixed it tho. Good luck finding a new car for the Mrs. Maybe a nice sporty new Mazda 6 or the SP25 mazda 3....

Actually the sedate I was thinking was an 07 Audi A3 2.0l Turbo Sportback with DSG and a few choice accessories,same money as the VXR I was looking at.

PaulyJ
24th May 2010, 10:19 PM
Sad to hear, but atleast you still have the blue one, and a new door open for something new

chrissn89
24th May 2010, 10:22 PM
Actually the sedate I was thinking was an 07 Audi A3 2.0l Turbo Sportback with DSG and a few choice accessories,same money as the VXR I was looking at.

Haha dam, wish i had a partner that brought me toys like that :) Im sure she'd love that, get an APR tune and might be faster than your car ;)

SIMid
24th May 2010, 10:25 PM
Sad to hear, but atleast you still have the blue one, and a new door open for something new

+1

I would get something different, why get the same again?

kabel
24th May 2010, 10:28 PM
Haha dam, wish i had a partner that brought me toys like that :) Im sure she'd love that, get an APR tune and might be faster than your car ;)
These are the specs.He has already done a bit of work.

07 A3 Audi Sportback 2.0Turbo with DSG gearbox

APR Stage 1 computer retune (188kW /350Nm Torque)
18” RS4 style Wheels
OSIR Bodykit
Lowered suspension (only 25mm)
Rear Swaybar
S3 Grille
Tinted Windows
Optional Centre Armrest

chrissn89
24th May 2010, 10:32 PM
These are the specs.He has already done a bit of work.

07 A3 Audi Sportback 2.0Turbo with DSG gearbox

APR Stage 1 computer retune (188kW /350Nm Torque)
18” RS4 style Wheels
OSIR Bodykit
Lowered suspension (only 25mm)
Rear Swaybar
S3 Grille
Tinted Windows
Optional Centre Armrest

That sounds fantastic, how many KM's and if its in good condition id say go for it. I think the DSG's in the VW had to be serviced every now and then and it was quite expensive. Not totally sure about the Audi but being VAG might be the same. Id be looking that up for piece of mind. But all in all should be a quick car.

kabel
24th May 2010, 10:37 PM
That sounds fantastic, how many KM's and if its in good condition id say go for it. I think the DSG's in the VW had to be serviced every now and then and it was quite expensive. Not totally sure about the Audi but being VAG might be the same. Id be looking that up for piece of mind. But all in all should be a quick car.
I have seen photos and the car is immaculate,looks new.
About 50,000km on the clock he is replacing it wih a R36 Passat Wagon which arrives soon.
Car belongs to a friend of a workmate.
I just have to let go of my emotional attachment to the VXR .
Put a lot of effort into maintaing those two cars....it was like someone cut off my left leg losing it !

chrissn89
24th May 2010, 10:41 PM
I have seen photos and the car is immaculate,looks new.
About 50,000km on the clock he is replacing it wih a R36 Passat Wagon which arrives soon.
Car belongs to a friend of a workmate.
I just have to let go of my emotional attachment to the VXR .
Put a lot of effort into maintaing those two cars....it was like someone cut off my left leg losing it !

I can imagine it would suck majorly, what ever you end up getting im sure itll bring you plenty of joy, well fingers crossed it does. The A3 sounds like a great buy if priced right, good luck :)

Neeko
24th May 2010, 11:07 PM
sad to hear mate

gmonkey
25th May 2010, 12:23 AM
No not really.
Guarantee it would not have came back the same car.
Just not certain about replacing it with another VXR now,have to go remove personal stuff from the car tomorrow.
Recaros are a personal item... Pretty sure vxrs came with just cloth seats and 18"s not 19"s

kabel
25th May 2010, 12:28 AM
Recaros are a personal item... Pretty sure vxrs came with just cloth seats and 18"s not 19"s
You could be right there...but best get in quick !

gmonkey
25th May 2010, 12:55 AM
You could be right there...but best get in quick !
Would u let me?? Ahahha

Nurb608
25th May 2010, 08:46 AM
That sux Kym :(

Atleast they have finally come to a conclusion I guess!

btm
25th May 2010, 09:02 AM
'bout time you got an answer, even if it wasnt the one you wanted to hear

sorry to hear mate, good luck with the shopping though :)

chrissn89
25th May 2010, 09:09 AM
All VXRs came with the recaros and 19" mags. Nurbs got the light weight 18"s.

Wraith
25th May 2010, 12:55 PM
+1

I would get something different, why get the same again?

+ 2 !

Not only the above, but why have 2 of the same cars in the 1st place...some of those other options your looking at sound good :)

Shay
25th May 2010, 04:07 PM
All VXRs came with the recaros and 19" mags. Nurbs got the light weight 18"s.

you do understand what brent was saying right?
he wants to swap his seats and wheels for the VXR ones.

chrissn89
25th May 2010, 04:16 PM
you do understand what brent was saying right?
he wants to swap his seats and wheels for the VXR ones.

ah, yes i get it now... just quickly read over it on my iphone this morning. Reading it again i get the sarcasim towards the insurance company.

kabel
25th May 2010, 10:08 PM
Looked at the car today for the first time since the storm.It is not that badly damaged and is certainly repairable.
My issue is the mechanical repairs are an unknown still.
If the insurance company had have responded quicker I might have jst told HSV to get on with it.
Anyway too late now.
As to why have two cars the same,that was not planned I just happended to be thinking about replacing her car and it came up and the change over was not painfull,simple really.
I know plenty of people with 2 Commodores !

Test driving the Audi tomorrow night then I start thinking about what to do.

gmonkey
25th May 2010, 10:26 PM
What does the misses think of the polo? Maybe a new polo? They look yummy

kabel
26th May 2010, 12:03 AM
She has already asked but I did not think they were out until later this year ?
PS
I still have your roof rack clip that I was going to pass on,just give me another week or so when I am no longer wearing my 'Home James Cap' and I will get it to you.

hazrd
26th May 2010, 12:46 AM
MK6 Golf GTi :yesnod:

gman
26th May 2010, 07:25 AM
If i was looking ATM, it would be the new Golf R20 or the Focus RS.

Audi S3 would be a possible starter but too expensive from new for what you get when compared to the Golf.

kabel
26th May 2010, 08:12 AM
All good suggestions but bear in mind the car is really for my girlfriend I still have my Blue VXR.
So I really do not want to spend 60k on hers !

btm
26th May 2010, 08:40 AM
Xr5?

hazrd
26th May 2010, 09:15 AM
i dont know how soon u are looking to buy... but VW have no statuatory charges til the end of the month on all new cars, so u only have to pay the ticket price of the car, then all on roads and delivery charges are free... but then again, this only gives u until the end of the week lol

btm
26th May 2010, 09:42 AM
golf 3 door gti from $38,990 driveaway

Wraith
26th May 2010, 12:55 PM
New Alfa Romeo Giulietta anyone ?? being studying that new hot hatch myself lately, nevdr been much of a fan of Alfas before but this one's very nice all things considered :)

I'd choose the new Megane RS250 over the Gti anyday (unless you must have a twin clutch) - or if you can step up in price point, the Golf R would be the pick of the hatches, most reviews rank it over even the pricier Audi S3...

If your on the cheap, a brand new Focus XR5T for under 33k drive away is the best thing going, ie. before they're all gone :)

Wraith
26th May 2010, 12:58 PM
golf 3 door gti from $38,990 driveaway

That very quickly becomes at least 45-47k with a decent fit out though...

The bare bones 39k drive away package is a real un attractive povo pack...you'll be over 40k just getting rid of those stupid looking tartan cloth seats !

Wraith
26th May 2010, 01:06 PM
I know plenty of people with 2 Commodores !

Exactly the same type/variant ? I've owned 2 commos (and 2 Toranas) at the same time in the past, but they were different models to each other...2 of exactly the same I'd never do that...just me though each to their own :)

Good luck with the Audi :)

hazrd
26th May 2010, 06:45 PM
That very quickly becomes at least 45-47k with a decent fit out though...

The bare bones 39k drive away package is a real un attractive povo pack...you'll be over 40k just getting rid of those stupid looking tartan cloth seats !

not the one i sat in last weekend :yikes:

kabel
26th May 2010, 10:38 PM
Exactly the same type/variant ? I've owned 2 commos (and 2 Toranas) at the same time in the past, but they were different models to each other...2 of exactly the same I'd never do that...just me though each to their own :)

Good luck with the Audi :)
Well I was going to try for a full house and eventually buy one in every colour and then get the ace in the pack.......a Nurb !

Just come back from a test drive in the Audi........mmmmmmmm!

OPC
26th May 2010, 10:59 PM
get the AUDI

mania
26th May 2010, 11:04 PM
Agreed. And post pics ; )

kabel
4th June 2010, 09:10 PM
Red VXR has gone to a new home as of today and hopefully has made a OpelAus member happy.C U Again Soon Red : )
I pick up the Audi next Friday night.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/konakula6/DSC_2508.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/konakula6/DSC_2505.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/konakula6/DSC_2495.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/konakula6/DSC_2502.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/konakula6/DSC_2500.jpg

gmonkey
5th June 2010, 12:37 AM
so whos lucky owner now?? and what was the buyback in the end?

kabel
5th June 2010, 09:12 AM
The new owner will fill you in gmonkey :swg:

CNBLU
5th June 2010, 10:26 AM
didnt steve say he wanted a red vxr?

mania
5th June 2010, 12:42 PM
Nice pics ;). Still can't believe they wrote it off..

Nurb608
5th June 2010, 01:50 PM
Nice pics ;). Still can't believe they wrote it off..

Treat it well Alex :p

gmonkey
5th June 2010, 01:52 PM
the search for a lower front splitter continues :p to ebay germany!

kabel
5th June 2010, 04:21 PM
Treat it well Alex :p
It will be like seeing an old flame(Red) with a new beau every time I get to see it in the future !
The Mrs reckons I will forget about after next week and we have the Audi and my car is at stage 3 with the Forge Intercooler installed.

Maybe not........:swg:

gmonkey
5th June 2010, 06:04 PM
If u bought the nurb I think u would have hahah

poita
5th June 2010, 06:22 PM
looks good, even on the back off a truck!

wats teh go with the white astra in the background?

mania
5th June 2010, 06:31 PM
Keen eye Peter, I have no idea. Back's probably destroyed though..

Not mine Rory, although everyone at work's telling me I'm nuts for not selling mine and keeping it.. My friend Tommy (small time forum user)'s the one taking out a loan.

Which'll include hail repairs, misc. engine parts and a quaife :). Hopefully can plastic weld the splitter, they're harder to source then I thought... vxrshop is no longer shipping to Aus!

We should start a (re)build thread.

Shay
5th June 2010, 06:48 PM
shouldnt be too hard to fix for someone with skills.
let me know when things get underway ;)

kabel
5th June 2010, 11:21 PM
You could always try HSV !

Nurb608
6th June 2010, 10:18 AM
Hopefully can plastic weld the splitter, they're harder to source then I thought... vxrshop is no longer shipping to Aus!

Maybe a carbon splitter if Tasvel still makes them? They were about $600 - $700 delivered though but still cheaper than HSV. Either that or If you can find someone for shipping maybe we could convince one of the UK boys to get it delivered to thier place for pick up by a courier?

mania
6th June 2010, 05:42 PM
Going to try and plastic weld it first, putting money towards dif instead. But if that fails carbon or hsv will be the go, up to tom :)

Shay - will do. In fact, will let everyone know ;)

Nurb608
6th June 2010, 07:18 PM
Going to try and plastic weld it first, putting money towards dif instead. But if that fails carbon or hsv will be the go, up to tom :)

Shay - will do. In fact, will let everyone know ;)

Pretty sure you already know, but LMF are the cheapest for the Diff at the moment, just remember the new bearings ;)

mania
6th June 2010, 07:48 PM
Ah nice thanks. Will prob come down to shipping - Courtenay have them on special for 620gbp (ex vat) with bearings atm.

VXRshop.co.uk
11th June 2010, 03:28 PM
Keen eye Peter, I have no idea. Back's probably destroyed though..

Not mine Rory, although everyone at work's telling me I'm nuts for not selling mine and keeping it.. My friend Tommy (small time forum user)'s the one taking out a loan.

Which'll include hail repairs, misc. engine parts and a quaife :). Hopefully can plastic weld the splitter, they're harder to source then I thought... vxrshop is no longer shipping to Aus!

VXRshop are shipping to Aus, we are currently upgrading the system so shipping online is temporary suspended. We have second Dealer coming online with a VXRshop called Aston Vauxhall at the end of the month these guys will ship World Wide and intend to extend the online Catalogue to give you guys a wider choice. Please continue the enquiries to [email protected] Aston will ship taking card payment over the phone until they are live.

Nurb608
11th June 2010, 03:39 PM
VXRshop are shipping to Aus, we are currently upgrading the system so shipping online is temporary suspended. We have second Dealer coming online with a VXRshop called Aston Vauxhall at the end of the month these guys will ship World Wide and intend to extend the online Catalogue to give you guys a wider choice. Please continue the enquiries to [email protected] Aston will ship taking card payment over the phone until they are live.

Great news, thanks for the update :)

VXRshop.co.uk
11th June 2010, 03:57 PM
Great news, thanks for the update :)

No problem, look forward to doing further Business with you guys down under!!

mania
11th June 2010, 04:27 PM
If we can't plastic weld the splitter we may well need a new one - so great news! :)