PDA

View Full Version : Rolled Guards

EAS51
23rd May 2010, 08:37 PM
Evening Ladies and Guys.

I couldn't find any old topics on this single topic. So i thought id make my own, If there is one. Please point me in the direction.
So basically here's what i got..
Astra ts. 5door Hatch. On Low King Springs = 30mm drop. Front and rear.
18inch rims.. 215/40/18s
Now with people in the back. Can be 2 light people or one bigger person i scrub like crazy in the rear.
And it's mainly the drivers side.

Today i had a full car. And my tyres are quite worn from the guards.. Mainly right hand..

So basically the question is..

Has anyone rolled their own guards ?

or have they got professionals to do it ?

Cheers.

guy 27
23rd May 2010, 08:44 PM
couple of things to keep in mine.

Where is it scrubbing? Plastic liner or the body?

If plastic, just cut out where it rubs or let it wear it out.

If your still running stock shocks. get new ones. Mine used to scrub without anyone in the back before lowering and installation of new shocks. Now lowered 50/30 and don't scrub with 3 people in the back.
also, correct tyre size is 215/35/18 for the Astra G.

Contact Auzvectra (Matt) as he will be able to roll the guards for you. Just remember though no matter who does it, the paint on the archs may crack and might require to be resprayed. Only ways to try to reduce the chance of it happening is to heat it up but not 100% guaranteed.

HoldenAstra
23rd May 2010, 09:52 PM
mybe the tyre issue
215/40=8.6cm
215/35=7.525cm

so the difference in diameter of the tyre=2*(8.6-7.525)=2.15cm, which could make big difference.

guy 27
23rd May 2010, 10:06 PM
mybe the tyre issue
215/40=8.6cm
215/35=7.525cm

so the difference in diameter of the tyre=2*(8.6-7.525)=2.15cm, which could make big difference.

fixed.

metry
23rd May 2010, 11:40 PM
how can i find out where my wheels are scrubing. atm the 19s rub whenever theres over 50kgs in the back but the fronts fine. I should get it done but like eas5i i dont know any one who would do it or do a good job at it atleast. also im scared the paint may crack.

guy 27
23rd May 2010, 11:58 PM
take a look under the rear arches and see if the plastic is wearing out near the top bolt for the rear bumper. That is the usual place they tend to scrub.
If the tyre hits the metal of the arch though then look at getting your guards rolled. with the paint cracking its hit and miss and a risk you will be taking.

To find someone in your area just google search guard rolling with your post code and it should give you some numbers to call.

EAS51
24th May 2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the info guy.. Wow i didn't realise the tyre size would make too much of a difference. especially being only 5 difference. Thanks for that.
Well i don't really think the plastic would start chewing away my tyre ? Would it ?
I might jack up the car later today or tomorrow to see if i can find where it is hitting.
Oh yeah i know all about the cracking paint with guard rolling etc =).. I did it to my ke70. Without heat (i didn't care about paint)

As for getting new shocks.. Thats not really an option at the moment. I'm basically supporting my mum aswell so funds are limited.
Thanks I'll keep this open and keep you updated on my finds when i look..

guy 27
24th May 2010, 09:58 AM
The plastic won't put any wear on the tyres. What i found did cause some wear was the bolt that attaches to the rear bumper, it was very minimal and nothing to be concerned about.

chrissn89
24th May 2010, 10:45 PM
i changed my tyres from 225/40/18 to 225/35/18 and have no scrubbing what so ever now. So yes the smallest change can make a world of difference.

metry
25th May 2010, 09:57 AM
ill have to jack the rear of the car up then and take one of the wheels off and see where its scrubing. as for tyres i cant really go a lower profile, i value my back. but i was surprised the back rubbed. i woulda thought the front would scrub.

Neeko
25th May 2010, 10:57 AM
All I did was cut ALOT of plastic out of the wheel arch which solved all scrubbing issues. So you guys might not even have to roll your guards.

If you guys do have to cut out some plastic, the easiest to do this is to heat it up with a heat gun and simply cut with a sharp blade.