PDA

View Full Version : Difference between normal paint and powder coat?

BEK-46P
20th May 2010, 11:24 PM
Guys, I'm about to spray the 19"s matt black but wondering what the difference between regular paint and powdercoating is?

mr corsa
21st May 2010, 07:18 AM
poweder coating is baked on in a oven and alot more durable

AfterBurner
21st May 2010, 09:02 AM
I thought powder coating was done electrically?? A current is passed thru the item & the paint is then attracted to it... Then it gets baked.. More like 'Plating' rather than painting...

Nurb608
21st May 2010, 10:11 AM
I thought powder coating was done electrically?? A current is passed thru the item & the paint is then attracted to it... Then it gets baked.. More like 'Plating' rather than painting...

http://www.wikihow.com/Powdercoat

AfterBurner
21st May 2010, 10:16 AM
I was half right, the item is grounded & the particles are charged...

Mix both mine & mr corsa's & get that result... :)

Greg K
21st May 2010, 10:25 AM
note that it will be more difficult to obtain a perfect ''architectural' finish when powdercoating. Hence, make sure you find a reputable powdercoater, as the quality can differ dramatically.

BEK-46P
21st May 2010, 06:16 PM
Reason why I ask is because it seems a matt finish can't be achieved with liquid paint (unless you leave off the clear coat). The only option is powder coating.

Is it worth it???

ginjaninja
21st May 2010, 09:21 PM
powdercoating is more durable (as in chipping wise)
it isnt as flexible as Painting in a Laquer (can handle flexing and has a bit more give)

hope answered what ya wanted to know

guy 27
21st May 2010, 09:32 PM
Reason why I ask is because it seems a matt finish can't be achieved with liquid paint (unless you leave off the clear coat). The only option is powder coating.

Is it worth it???

you can get a matt finish with 2K paint. Its not cheap and finding someone who can do it well might be a challange.
Its pretty much a flat black paint which has to be layed down perfectly then the clear is applied over the top. its a dull finish clear so can be waxed (there are waxes of matt and satin finishes out there) to keep it lasting longer.

BEK-46P
23rd May 2010, 11:32 PM
Whilst still on the topic, is it possible to achieve a matte/flat back finish with regular liquid paint? Isn't there a dull clear coat you can use instead of the gloss?

guy 27
23rd May 2010, 11:39 PM
yes as per my post above yours. 2k paint is "liquid paint"
I can probably source the materials but have no experience in painting with it and having spoken to many spray painters, none are willing to touch it on large areas as getting the consistency is not easy.