PDA

View Full Version : Driving with headlights on during daytime

blackSRi
7th October 2004, 07:45 PM
Just for Interest....who here is safety-minded?

I am talking here about having them on all the time, not just on overcast days.

I do drive with mine on (people notice the car more I believe), also looks good on a shiny black car too...
:)

mr_astra_retired
7th October 2004, 08:05 PM
I always drive with mine on .

blackSRi
7th October 2004, 08:22 PM
Do you notice any battery issues? Have you had to replace your battery often or had alternator or any other issues?

Degen-Astra
7th October 2004, 09:08 PM
Most days I drive with them on.

ultim8DTM5
7th October 2004, 09:29 PM
I do every day since new.

I've gone through 3 bulbs in 45,000kms

Mr T
7th October 2004, 09:36 PM
I do about 30,000Km of country driving per year, every one of them with the lights on. I dont use them as much in the city though.

I do this for safety, I find that people dont hold me up in the fast lane and I am seen from further away!

FlySri
7th October 2004, 10:55 PM
I have mine on atleast 98% of the time. Mostly so bind as drives see me better and also the fact the some people have said to me that silver is harder to see on sunny days ??? :screwy:
I told them to get there eyes checked !!!! 8)

wishbone
7th October 2004, 11:00 PM
my cars white.. its shiny enough during the day don't u think?
ahh well.. i dont think i can get into the habbit of putting on my headlights during hte day unless its dark and rainy or something

blackSRi
7th October 2004, 11:19 PM
Yeah, it's remembering to turn them off - it's an automatic habit for me now.
Apparently there was a crash survey some years ago - RAC or Road Safety council/Fed road safety (don't know if has been redone recently) and silver, grey, dark green and blue/green and dark blue cars faired badly in crashes - both in sunlight and late arvo/early morning - they looked at crash reasons and times and accident report info. They were all harder to see on the road or so it was said - best car colours were bright yellow, white, red.

Bernard Siong
8th October 2004, 12:21 AM
yeh i saw that survey... it is pretty true too
i drive with mine on
but i wish they were HID ones like the ones in mercs n that....they look cool

woody
8th October 2004, 09:42 AM
I drive with mine on mainly cos it's safer but also cos the foggies just look cool!!

Don't have an issue turning them off cos my car screams at me (same as when you open the door with the key in the ignition) to tell me i've been stoooopid !!

imay
8th October 2004, 10:34 AM
I can see just fine, but I'm not so sure about many of my fellow road users.
I drive in daylight hours with my lights on -- parkers around town, low beam on the open road. I like to think that it helps others see me before it's too late.
Of course, weather plays a role too. Overcast, wet or windy conditions I always use low beam.

Rhino
8th October 2004, 01:03 PM
Headlights
• Yes, ALWAYS for safety due to the 'experiment' that proved that it prevented more accidents.

Driving lights
• Yes, because I like the look.

So, a bit of both. (didn't vote)

One of the lights in my instrument cluster doesn't work now though... Don't know if that is a result of being overworked or just bad luck... Get Holden to fix or do it myself...?

Anonymous
8th October 2004, 01:06 PM
imho. lights on during the day, everyday = Volvo Drivers

i only turn em on at night or bad weather

frankie9fingers
8th October 2004, 05:38 PM
I put them on During the day when i'm in a rush and want people to move over

mr_astra_retired
8th October 2004, 06:05 PM
Do you notice any battery issues? Have you had to replace your battery often or had alternator or any other issues?

No Probs as yet but only had the car since feb this year ( just had its 30,000 k service too :oops: )

Anonymous
8th October 2004, 06:39 PM
Parking Lights and Driving Lights on All the time, Star Silver is invisible 95%.
People just don't notice it when its coming down on then @ 100km/h :lol:

RK
8th October 2004, 06:45 PM

thats not what she told me :P

frankie9fingers
9th October 2004, 08:50 AM
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! are you that insecure about your appearence?
I can train you up to be overconfident. All it takes is a french tickler and a bottle of olive oil.

journo
9th October 2004, 10:04 AM
I drive with them on in the country areas... and off in the city areas... except when in toowoomba... when I drive with them ON ON ON becausethe other drivers up there are 101% oblivious to the other road users.
29000kms and no bulb or battery issues as yet.

dug74
9th October 2004, 10:13 AM
I have driven with mine on from new, before that my vectra was always on. I have done this becoz i had an accident <head on> with a motorbike becoz he couldnt see my car in direct sunlight. I was driving a silver honda civic.

Had no probs in the vectra with bulbs and battery....same as corsa..but its only done 10K.

AS for being a volvo driver...:P most euro cars now have auto lights on when the car starts and if im correct falcon and commodore have auto lights as well.

I am in the habit of turning them on when i get in...and turn them off when i get out. If youtry to leave them on...it makes a horrible noise to tell you they are on...so it shouldnt be a prob unless your deaf. :bang:

SmellyTofu
9th October 2004, 10:30 AM
Whilst visiblity is a plus, the ability to judge a moving headlight as opposed to a whole car is worse.

I don't turn mine on during the day unless it's dawn or dusk and of course at night. Fog goes on during rain and fog but also the fact I've got yellow bulbs (not clear... yellow) that it's even less noticable during the day even if I did turn it on.

nickdan1
9th October 2004, 10:50 AM
I drive with them on in the country areas... and off in the city areas... except when in toowoomba... when I drive with them ON ON ON becausethe other drivers up there are 101% oblivious to the other road users.
29000kms and no bulb or battery issues as yet.

Hahaha. You are right about Toowoomba. So so many stupid drivers. My Astra SRi is black so i drive with them on all the time so they can see me and it looks cool. :)

The Sentinel
9th October 2004, 11:22 AM
I drive with them on all the time.
When driving on an open road you really notice how much more visible an approaching car is with it's lights on.

em
9th October 2004, 08:10 PM

thats not what she told me :P

SMART ARSES EM IS EM AND THEM IS THEM

Seus
10th October 2004, 10:55 PM
yeh, me too on the only rainy night
oh and carparks

woody
11th October 2004, 09:52 AM
KID SRI - Mines star silver too... might as well be invisible on the road cos no one seems to take any notice of me til i slide up to em in a cloud of smoke blasting the horn!!

For a while i thought that my indicators my have been on the fritz because regardless of how long i indicate people seem to pull out on me at roundabouts.

Seems i'm always driving with one finger hovering over the horn these days..

S'why i keep my lights on!!