PDA

View Full Version : Holdens concept astra/vectra ooops TORANA

Aus-SRi
7th October 2004, 05:30 PM
How low can you go.. good old holden as usual cant come up with anything original so lets just go copy bits from the other guys in europe who have more than half a brain hey :screwy:

http://gm.wieck.com/forms/gm/*query?ws4d_nav=true&search_criteria=torana@&Source=all&Page=1

Good to see Holden up with the times always thinking of ways to copy.. first it was the Magna Rear and now this...... :roll:

Oh and great choice in color :)

opel_calibra
7th October 2004, 05:34 PM
never the less... i like it.. looks awesome

em
7th October 2004, 05:41 PM
[marq=right:9d14cc8827]OMG I love the Colour[/marq:9d14cc8827]
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Anonymous
7th October 2004, 05:45 PM
yuk ,yuk, and double yuk

Anonymous
7th October 2004, 05:46 PM
im not sure if you realize that gm is a clobal company, so you cant say copy because they own a lot of differnt brands it makes sence to use what you can.
and if you have such a problem with gm products why in the hell did you buy one

Aus-SRi
7th October 2004, 05:48 PM
im sure u know what i mean lol

jch75
7th October 2004, 06:04 PM
I agree that they are global, I think they should throw away names like Holden, Opel, Vauxhall etc. They should just trade as GM. Enough about that cos it will never happen.

The car, looks very much like my ZC Vectra with a touch of RX8 (Mazda) I reckon. So what do you like better, the Torana or the SSX.
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/conceptcar?modelid=20005

I reckon they could go with either and they should. And I reckon they should turbo (or TT) the new engine in this new concept. I think that would rock. AND AWD. At least then it won't just be an upgraded base commodore with a turbo (unlike fords xr6t).

I like the Elfin too. The pics look dodgey but in real life it looks awesome!
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/conceptcar?modelid=20008

Seus
7th October 2004, 06:55 PM
someone i know who saw it today said it was stunning!
3.6 V6 twin turbo pushing 290kW can't be bad

and the colour apparently is amazing

about it looking like astra/vectra
holden i think are trying to get some design consistancy across the range
i like it alot from those pics and what i saw on the news

OPC
7th October 2004, 07:03 PM
YES YES YES i like it alot....

i would definitlly buy one...

like the shape but not the price...

astroboy
7th October 2004, 07:12 PM
a few small mods and it could be fat

RK
7th October 2004, 07:14 PM
i think im in love :shock:

(pity about the shitty name)

mr_astra_retired
7th October 2004, 07:53 PM
I love it , where do i sign :)

Nothing wrong with the name Rajman :evil: lol

:mrgreen:

jch75
7th October 2004, 07:58 PM
someone i know who saw it today said it was stunning!
3.6 V6 twin turbo pushing 290kW can't be bad

and the colour apparently is amazing

about it looking like astra/vectra
holden i think are trying to get some design consistancy across the range
i like it alot from those pics and what i saw on the news

You are absoSMURFly correct. Wait until u see the VE. Doesn't remotely resemble the current commodore, only that it has 4 doors.

jch75
7th October 2004, 08:09 PM
Here is the article:
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/news?categoryID=5&articleID=1261&navCategoryId=all

I was right (above) - they are going for twin turbo! But no mention of all paw action. But not for production anyway. DOUBLE DOH!

THURSDAY 07 OCTOBER 2004:
THE TORANA LEGEND LIVES AGAIN

Australian International Motor Show, 7 October 2004: Holden today revived a famous Australian nameplate when it took the covers off a sensational showcar called Torana TT36.

Holden drew on General Motors' global resources to build the hot pink Torana TT36, which is powered by an experimental 280kW twin turbo 3.6 litre Alloytec V6 engine, sports a glass roof and showcases bold directional design themes.

Not for production, this mid-sized hatch concept demonstrates the strength and versatility of Holden's design talent to a worldwide audience and emphasises its ability to react swiftly to changing customer demand.

Torana TT36 highlights Holden's rear wheel drive powertrain engineering expertise and the practical benefits to be gained by sharing GM global suspension and chassis components and
modular structural systems.

The new millennium hot hatch pays homage to Holden's Bathurst-winning icon car of the seventies, the Torana A9X. It is 25 years since the revered V8-powered Torana A9X last
conquered Mount Panorama and wrote itself into Australian automotive legend.

Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Denny Mooney, today said he believed the Torana's spiritual successor showed how times continued to change in the automotive industry.

"Torana TT36 represents a revolution in concept car design at Holden. We've unveiled several examples of our design flexibility and build capability in recent years but this car is exceptional for yet another reason," Mr Mooney said.

"All recent showcars have been based on our Commodore V-car platform. Torana TT36, on the other hand, shares many basic structural elements with the latest GM sports concepts and much of its chassis componentry is sourced directly from GM.

"It is the first Holden showcar to merge Australian design and engineering expertise with GM technical resources. Quite simply, for us it is a 'game changer' in automotive design and
production.

"Naming the concept car was easy. We knew many fans would immediately call it Torana because it is a high powered, mid-size, rear wheel drive hot hatch. The TT36 stands for Twin
Turbo 3.6L."

jch75
7th October 2004, 08:15 PM
TOP PICS
http://carsguide.news.com.au/aims/story/0,9467,10998518-28977,00.html

CLICK ON THE "MORE TORANA PICS" LINK.

Nem
7th October 2004, 08:19 PM
I like the car but they can come up with a new name.

jch75
7th October 2004, 08:28 PM
Yeah, but unless the car becomes a reality there is no point.

The point of the concept is to pay homage to a legend of the past, and to say this is what it would be like if had one today.

But as always $$$ & sales determines what hits the road. Mind you, who wouldn't by this car over an SS ? Probably does 0 -100 in 5 secs as a guess.

Seus
7th October 2004, 09:07 PM
basically every holden concept as of late has spawned into a production car, or had a lot of its innovation brought into a production car

so i think its very likely we will see the torana and definitly the 3.6 turbo (more likely than twin turbo) as a response to xr6 turbo and the F6 tornado or watever..

raymond
7th October 2004, 09:45 PM
the 3.6 turbo is in 1 of the alfa romeo

ps it look sweet and yes it look like a vectra
if it came out in production i mit buy 1

Mr T
7th October 2004, 09:47 PM
I'll have two! ! ! ! !

Just have to convince the boss to give me a car allowance instead of this crappy thing i've got now...

Inside sources tell me that it will be AWD but also available in RWD for lower spec models.

There will also be an SV6T with AWD in VZ, and SS will be standard with 300KW, HSV's will be in range of 340KW - 385KW with GEN IV 6.0L and 6.2L

I say BRING IT ON ! ! ! ! !

OPL-20T
7th October 2004, 09:54 PM
LOVE IT!!!.
the roof kicks ass :)...
colour is Sh*t x10...
3.6L 280Kw BRING IT ON :D ...

the botton front bar looks like the new astra but beefed up.
and the head lights look like the vx220 just beefed up...

but if i had the $$$ yeah it will be parked in my driveway no worries :mrgreen:

jch75
7th October 2004, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I like my ZC Vectra alot. It is a very good car but it lacks in two major areas - front wheel drive & some forced induction. AWD paw and forced fed would have made it a super car at a bargain price. I could have bought a WRX but the exhaust was so off putting. At the lights, the car just bounces around cos of the exhaust - the vectra is well powered but very smooth. Its kicks most direct competitors.

Lets just hope the SSX or this Torana concept comes to life! They have said Vectra has been a flop (by sales figures at least) so they should try filling the gap with the torana but not whack a 60k price tag on it. Like the Rex, aim for the 40ks, give it some grunt, the look is sweet, and they will be set.

RK
7th October 2004, 10:41 PM
I want the 3.2L Supercharged Vectra :(

and yeah.. i wish they made it AWD.

GOZOFF
7th October 2004, 10:49 PM
OOOhhh I hope they bring out the legendary Torana again 8)

Anonymous
8th October 2004, 12:57 AM
hmmmm its mazda meets BMW :P looks a mould between the SP23 and the BMW 5 series :P i love it though its pretty fat but i dunno guess we are just gonna have to see, i mean it is a concept dont forget

Anonymous
8th October 2004, 12:58 AM
one thing i gotta say though, i am in love with this interior the set out is so modern retro I LOVE IT!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock:

Tom76
8th October 2004, 07:08 AM
Funny, this thing looks a lot like the first designs for the Astra H (esp. those lights).

http://www.moap.de/images/wallis/23_2_h_limo.jpg

OPC
8th October 2004, 09:04 AM
WHATEVER.....

glenn i hope your source is right buddy...

woody
8th October 2004, 09:18 AM
ummmmmm.. whatever..... i want one...

All Paw 2.6 with Twin Hairdryers Please

I'm grinnin' already! 8)

dazza015
8th October 2004, 09:42 AM
Doesnt look too bad I guess, just cant get the image of the rusty ol piece of crap my friend owns out of the back of my head when I say the word torana!

OPL-20T
8th October 2004, 09:48 AM
mazda 6 MPS 4x4 180/190Kw +..
now that is gonig to be a car to own.
Aroudn the $55.000 mark.
great price :)

RK
8th October 2004, 09:59 AM
And the Mazda 6 MPS looks awesome too! :)

corsaboy
8th October 2004, 10:09 AM
I reckon they should give it a more "SLR 5000" look to it...then maybe they can call it at Torana!

My 2c

Anonymous
8th October 2004, 10:22 AM
hahah amen there corsa boy, but i'm glad they kept the back sorta the same with that fast back sorta look

imay
8th October 2004, 10:38 AM
GMH concept Torana? I think I like it. But would have to see it in the flesh.
I think it demonstrates the styling direction that GM (including Holden) is taking. I think there could even be some clues from this as to what the next generation Commodore could look like.
When the new Vectra first appeared there was a fair bit of discussion about it's "different" styling. Now the Astra has followed the Vectra's lead (I can see similarities, anyway), and I'm sure all of Holden's range will follow suit.

Anonymous
8th October 2004, 10:50 AM
nice assumption imay i think you may be on to something :D

YuSuF
8th October 2004, 01:43 PM
I love the style of the car but the colour is , how shall I say ...

http://img47.exs.cx/img47/2074/gayalarm.gif

OzzySRi
8th October 2004, 04:55 PM
saw it in the flesh at the motorshow n all i can say is.... DAAAAMMMNN!!! it looked hot as n drew plenty of attention. Colour was magic n the white interior... AWESOME!!! 8)

Anonymous
8th October 2004, 06:54 PM
guys, have you ever thought about it being pink because i actually harks on the retro colour range?

If it falls through, expect, yellow, lime green, anything you saw on my beloved lj's.

I hope they make it a kick arse straight 6. That would mean so much to the torana enthusiasts out there..... including myself. Imagine a gtrxu1.... only modern :D

I really reckon they should make the headlights more round. Keep some consistency with the retro models ;)

LOL, and with a colour so vibrant, and interior so mean, it would take out king of autosalon, with NO mods :lol:

Anonymous
8th October 2004, 07:36 PM
check this out hehe i did some photoshop work what you guys think? :lol:

YuSuF
8th October 2004, 07:52 PM
That looks cool, as I said there isnt anything wrong with the vechicles structure

Just that pink colour gets to me.

woody
8th October 2004, 10:49 PM
make it Blue - Arden Blue.....

pleeeeease.. :D

Anonymous
9th October 2004, 12:11 AM
ok woody i will make it blue just or you :P

Anonymous
9th October 2004, 12:20 AM
here ya go woody lol enjoy

imay
9th October 2004, 08:20 AM
Takes on a whole new look when our resident Photoshop artistes start playing with it, don't it!
Like the blue! Any in Star Silver?

Anonymous
9th October 2004, 08:47 AM
lemmie see what i can do

Anonymous
9th October 2004, 08:55 AM
harder than usual but still its done :P there ya go

jch75
9th October 2004, 01:38 PM
I just think it would be nice to see a real Holden performance car on the track for a change (that reflects the car on the road). I mean the 300kw GTS just can't handle the bends in procar - kicks butt down the straights though. I'd like to see a car that can take it to the evos and stis on the corners. Having the fastest saloon is the world just doesn't do it for me any more. I want a road warrior race car!!

The monaro is the nations cup is a joke. Its got a cv8 badge on it - cracks me up.

GO THA TORANA!

YuSuF
11th October 2004, 10:28 AM
Uhhhhh thats Silver looks hot :!: