PDA

View Full Version : What would cause this problem?

DEE-80Y
12th May 2010, 01:27 PM
My desktop PC has poo poo'd itself. When I start it up, it looks like it is in SAFE MODE, the picture looks about 4MB. Sometimes when I start it up it is fine, however when the monitor turns off to standby after the screen saver times out, nothing I do will turn the screen back on. My only option is to reset the computer via reset button.

Has my graphics card crapped itself or am I looking at a motherboard problem?

I am not in the position to buy a new computer atm (as much as I would love too).

I have formatted the HD and reinstalled XP and also tried Vista and they both have the same problem.

Any ideas would be helpful as I am not all familiar with hardware problems.

hazrd
12th May 2010, 02:10 PM
hey mate
definitely sounds like a GFX problem... Is it an onboard one? Do you know anyone who has a GFX card u could borrow to confirm the diagnosis?

I wouldnt go replacing the mobo without testing the GFX card first.

I was going to suggest a system restore but looks like u have tried that already... maybe see if u can get updated drivers for the existing one aswell?

give the above a shot and let us know how you go :)
good luck

Nurb608
12th May 2010, 02:17 PM
What have you got your power setting set to? I used to have the same issue with my monitor not turning back on but after I changed my power settings i've never had the issue again.

MAD-16V
12th May 2010, 02:17 PM
If you feel confident enough , Have a look inside your computer , If it has a plug in gfx card inside the case , Remove it and inspect it for dust build up.

Clean it and re-fit the card and reboot the system.

If all else fails you could pick up a very cheap gfx card for about 15-20 bux from ebay for testing purposes.

DEE-80Y
13th May 2010, 06:39 AM
hey mate
definitely sounds like a GFX problem... Is it an onboard one? Do you know anyone who has a GFX card u could borrow to confirm the diagnosis?

I wouldnt go replacing the mobo without testing the GFX card first.

I was going to suggest a system restore but looks like u have tried that already... maybe see if u can get updated drivers for the existing one aswell?

give the above a shot and let us know how you go :)
good luck

I haven't found any updates for the driver, but I have never had a problem with it before. I think it might just have served its time.

What have you got your power setting set to? I used to have the same issue with my monitor not turning back on but after I changed my power settings i've never had the issue again.

I have no idea what my power settings are, but I have never had this issue until I formatted the HD. I will google how to and see if this is the fix I'm after.

If you feel confident enough , Have a look inside your computer , If it has a plug in gfx card inside the case , Remove it and inspect it for dust build up.

Clean it and re-fit the card and reboot the system.

If all else fails you could pick up a very cheap gfx card for about 15-20 bux from ebay for testing purposes.

I have already cleaned out all the dust and build up within the case. I haven't detached the card yet, I will have a look and see if it's too complicated or if I am able to do it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will let you know the progress.

DEE-80Y
13th May 2010, 06:42 AM

Ahahaha, how dumb was I! I started to adjust the power settings, on my LAPTOP!!!! Now to connect my PC back up and try it on that.... LOL

Nurb608
13th May 2010, 07:38 AM
Ahahaha, how dumb was I! I started to adjust the power settings, on my LAPTOP!!!! Now to connect my PC back up and try it on that.... LOL

Dont worry, i was cursing at my pc for weeks before I remembered about power settings, lol

DEE-80Y
13th May 2010, 12:37 PM
I've pulled the graphics card out and given it a clean, still no luck. It looks like another card is the way to go.

AfterBurner
13th May 2010, 02:17 PM
+1 defo GFX card...

If it's onbaord you can still fit a PCI/AGP card in its place, or simplr replace the existing...

New cards are only arounf $50 these days for over 256mb video..

DEE-80Y
15th May 2010, 05:43 AM
It looks like I will replace it with this.
http://www.jw.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=32_72&products_id=873

Slight upgrade from my 8500GT.

Thanks for the help ppl.

DEE-80Y
19th May 2010, 01:49 PM
Turns out I needed to update the driver from the website and not off the disc that came with the hardware.
Everything is back to the way it was.

Don't know why I never thought of D/L driver from site.