PDA

View Full Version : Crunch sound through steering column

GreyRex
12th May 2010, 02:19 PM
About 4 weeks out from my warranty expiring, my car has developed a 'crunching' sound through the steering column.

It only occurs when i do a half turn to the right

It doesn't occur if i go full lock to the right, or at any time if I turn left

There's no discernable difference in how the steering feels, other than the sound that occurs

Does anyone have any ideas?

It's going in tomorrow, so if you could let me know asap that would be awesome

sooty
12th May 2010, 02:23 PM
So if you turn the wheel progressively past the point where it crunches to turn a sharp corner, does it make the noise then stop? Or only makes the noise if you turn the steering wheel directly to this set angle?

Also a crunch to me is quite loud, is it?
Metal-metal? Plasticy?

guy 27
In my experience with similar scenarios could be something severe like the steering box or suspension component or even something as simple as some broken plastic around the steering column.

if it is severe hopefully there is a chance they may still cover it under warranty because its not that far out of it.

CNBLU
Just a guess but could it be your CV joints?

GreyRex
12th May 2010, 02:26 PM
Just a guess but could it be your CV joints?

I've already had the drivers side driveshaft replaced as the boot split and i had the clicking sound coming from the front axle previously

That's now gone, and I just have this crunching sound

They said it may be stones in the steering column (whatever that means), but i seriously doubt it

Do I have to get the CV joints looked at... again?

guy 27
12th May 2010, 02:32 PM
Do I have to get the CV joints looked at... again?

do it yourself, just get under the car and look to see if there is any grease around them.

GreyRex
12th May 2010, 02:32 PM
So if you turn the wheel progressively past the point where it crunches to turn a sharp corner, does it make the noise then stop? Or only makes the noise if you turn the steering wheel directly to this set angle?

Also a crunch to me is quite loud, is it?
Metal-metal? Plasticy?

Well yeh if i turn up my driveway it wont do it, as i have to apply more than half a lock to the right

Whereas turning right into a street it will do it

It seems to do it until you apply the half lock then disappears

The weird thing is... it was in for warranty work only 6 weeks ago (for the trusty old rear suspension creak - again). Between that time and now it appeared, then went away 2 - 3 days leading up to having it looked at by the dealer, then fantastically re-appeared the very next day!!

I took a family member around my area yesterday as it was doing it, and even they went... Oh yeah, that is noticeable!!

To me it sounds like a metallic grinding noise

But yeh... it still feels smooth through the steering

nigelh
12th May 2010, 02:33 PM
Does it still crunch if you turn without having the car moving?

GreyRex
12th May 2010, 02:34 PM
Does it still crunch if you turn without having the car moving?

So just turning the wheel when stationary? I haven't tried that