PDA

View Full Version : Help with spending some $$$ on my Sri-T

SLY-SRiT
12th May 2010, 10:21 AM
heya!

i stumbled across this awsome site whilst searching for some mods to do to my TS Astra SRi Turbo!

im new to this forum stuff so i was wondering if any one could point me in the right direction on whos the best to speak to!

ive got roughly 3k saved up and im keen as to start doing my little beast up!

i look forward to hearing from yas all!

cheers

Nurb608
12th May 2010, 10:27 AM
Welcome to the site mate!

Guess it all depends on what your goal is as far as mods go. There are plenty of guys with quick Sri-T's on here. Don't forget it's not all about the power, how the car handles is going to be just as important.

btm
12th May 2010, 10:31 AM
g'day and welcome to the site!

plenty of info on here to search on SRiT mods, and many a knowledgable member floating around too!

guy 27
12th May 2010, 10:31 AM
Welcome to OA

What are you want out of your car mainly? looks, preformance, handling, stereo?

just remember once you start modding its going to be hard to stop.

DIXIE
12th May 2010, 10:44 AM
performance!!! do that first, before looks and stereo..

i just recently started modding my sri-t.. all ive done is cooler, exhaust, intake, tune, boost, and lowered it..

and the thing has become a total pocket rocket, and i didnt realise the potential of these cars until i actually did the mods.. even if u get 140kw, u wont be disappointed

nuggz
12th May 2010, 10:56 AM
rear anti sway bar is a good and relatively cheap place to start with handling!

Nurb608
12th May 2010, 10:59 AM
rear anti sway bar is a good and relatively cheap place to start with handling!

+1, best mod for handling vs cost.

Keep'emRunning
12th May 2010, 11:03 AM
Some of that 3k should be put toward preventative maintenance.

And depending on k's, most would agree that a new turbo will end up being in that budget somewhere :)

CNBLU
12th May 2010, 11:17 AM
Heres a list of what could be done...

Buy a VXR turbo
FMIC
Turbo Back exhaust
Tune

Should see you around 150-160kwatw

OR

Timing belt and water pump kit
Rear sway bar
Whiteline bushes and castor kit
Quality springs and shocks

Some might go for the second group, some the first but i'd be inclined to do all :p

auzvectra
12th May 2010, 11:23 AM
hey, not biased here :D.

remap - $400
Fmic kit - $1200
Exhaust 3" turbo back - $1200

total, $2800 ;).

if you want to add a lil to that for handling.
eibachs, should still be able to get them for $200-250
rear sway, cant member (contact gslrallysport on here) bout $200-300

then if you want to stop quicker, again contact gslrally.
hpx pads front n rear bout $80-100 a set, and your choice of stock, groved, groved and pitted gold passitated for between about $100-350.

i belive nadge is still doin the tunes down there, othwise let me know i can sort something out maybe.
and yes the fmic kit is mine, hehe :).

CNBLU
12th May 2010, 11:40 AM
Welcome to OA buddy

Keep'emRunning
12th May 2010, 01:01 PM
FMIC.

..i did my kit by myself, i/c, polished piping, hoses & clamps from ebay, twin fans, homemad shroud.

Cost?

<$600 :D

But in support of Auzveccy, getting a fmic kit to the stage where -everyone- can fit it by themselves, you would have to charge extra for all that headache.

edit: In addition, in Auz's kit, all the pipes will be cut to length ready to install, as well as having the ends rolled or flanged to help keep the hoses on. Saves a lot of hassle...

boorny88
12th May 2010, 01:02 PM
yes welcome mate to the forum hope this doesnt turn you away from the site

Keep'emRunning
12th May 2010, 01:15 PM
MAPS (here we go for the last time hahah)

Well known now that you can get a galletto flasher, plus some 'commercial' (i'm not saying legal lol) maps from AOC or ebay..

Cost?

Prolly about $100 all up.

I've tried out most of the maps sold.. ( and some not being sold ;) ) and can -honestly- attest, they are as good or better than the maps I bought from turblue. Most of the UK guys are running them on std cars, although some do have probs, mostly because the engines have irregularitiesin the first place.

Again, if not confident, ask someone who knows what they're doing. auzvec/gman have had plenty of experience, and kudos to them for their time/efforts in doing remaps for those who may need extra help.

poita
12th May 2010, 01:44 PM
Have we finished yet ladies?

Welcome to the forum SLY, there is wealth of information available here for you car.

Jump into the astra section and do a bit of snooping around, you should find plenty.

Cheers Peter

DIXIE
12th May 2010, 01:47 PM
btw if u need any help from a fellow astra n00b, hit me up via PM or something. :)

sooty
12th May 2010, 02:00 PM
Welcome to the forum mate, ignore the banter!
Check out the turbo section for mods, there's a vast array, the choice is all yours!

chrissn89
12th May 2010, 03:49 PM
3K should get you some nice Performance/handling mods;

I personally would go, intake (pod filter and remove the cross-over pipe), ECU re-map/flash tune, Rear sway bar, FMIC, turbo back exhaust 2.5" or 3" (imo 3" is nicer) Those will get you started and moving along nicely.

ChrisMaz
12th May 2010, 04:15 PM
Welcome mate.

Don't forget the Eibach springs!

adam_92
12th May 2010, 09:47 PM
welcome to opelaus mate. good to see another adelaideian around the place. where exactly in adelaide are you from ?

03srit
12th May 2010, 10:10 PM
Welcome mate.. If I had 3k on me right now I'd definately go exhaust and front mount intercooler.. Then remap and the hi and lo switch to help launching off the line..

kabel
12th May 2010, 10:22 PM
Springs and rear swaybar first....makes a huge difference.
Turbo back Exhaust.
Good luck,whatever you do you will see improvements and have more fun !

poita
12th May 2010, 11:40 PM
Thread cleaned and warnings sent out to all involved.

It won't be tolerated again, all parties involved are under review.

OPC
13th May 2010, 12:14 AM
welcome mate

id go with spending the $3k on

a high class hooker... oh no sorry thats not right

ok a rear sway bar, some shocks n springs and a remap of some sort
i got a unichip installed for $1200 , rear sway should be around $300, shocks n springs would cover the rest depending on what type

DIXIE
13th May 2010, 12:17 AM
^^ and with the rest, cooler/exhaust/map

and ur all set to start whipping some ass

OPC
13th May 2010, 12:23 AM
and ur all set to start whipping some ass

if your into that kinda thing

SLY-SRiT
13th May 2010, 07:41 AM
hey mate, i had a XC barina befor the astra! there a top little car! that car was the reason i went for an astra. im out paralowie way. how about urself??

do you know of any good places to take my car to help get these mods done???

SLY-SRiT
13th May 2010, 08:13 AM
hey man!

im def keen on a front mount intercooler and remap! any advice on where and who to get this done??

Nurb608
13th May 2010, 08:36 AM
hey man!

im def keen on a front mount intercooler and remap! any advice on where and who to get this done??

There are a few places you can get these. I guess it depends on how far you want to take the car in the future? If your looking to increase power over time, it pays to get the good stuff first.

Any idea's of what power level you would like to take the car to?

gmonkey
13th May 2010, 09:57 AM
Remap = regal autosport in the uk google them and have a look at the Eds Ipf device.

U should be able to get a fmic a tune and then possibly check out walkinshaw they have cat back high flow systems for 500 then just buy a turbo down pipe and 100/200 cell cat

That will take up $3k pretty quick

gmonkey
13th May 2010, 09:58 AM
Depending on how much power u want u may want bigger than 2.5" But

gman
13th May 2010, 11:31 AM
Hey mate, welcome..

As all have said, there's plenty to spend your hard earned on...Personally I would go with the following in order (I would always get handling and braking first before power, but thats just me :) )..

Eibach or H&R Springs
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar and Rear toe plates
QFM HPX Brake pads (from GSLRALLYSPORT) with good fluid
Braided brake lines
Whiteline Front Strut brace
New Spark plugs (NGK Iridiums or Cosworth 071 from UK eBay)
Re-flash (from whomever :) )
Exhaust (Min 2.5")
Dump pipe
FMIC
New intake (Pod & heatshield, 1.9 or 2.2 airbox)
Powerflex engine mount kit
Shocks (Koni etc)
Whiteline Caster Front bushes &/or Powerflex Front Bushes
VXR turbo

Thats the starter list...Have fun and keep asking questions...Look at the Members ride sections for idea's and trawl UK and german eBay for parts and idea's.

Cheers mate

adam_92
13th May 2010, 07:40 PM
hey mate, i had a XC barina befor the astra! there a top little car! that car was the reason i went for an astra. im out paralowie way. how about urself??

do you know of any good places to take my car to help get these mods done???

if you were replying to me theni live at westlakes. i was driving a xc aswel until around 10 days ago then sold it and just bought a silver vectra cdxi. im not too sure where you can get performance mods as iv never had any done with the barina but if you need any help with fitting springs or swaybars etc then i can help as im a mechanic so i have access to hoists from 5pm til 3am in the workshop where i work up at maughan thiem

SLY-SRiT
20th May 2010, 12:42 PM
hey guys, bought a set of 18s the other day. thought id upload a pic for yas

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5511/img0016ax.jpg (http://img218.imageshack.us/i/img0016ax.jpg/)
Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack

CNBLU
20th May 2010, 01:19 PM
very noice mate. got a shot of the whole car?

SLY-SRiT
20th May 2010, 01:36 PM
not just yet man.. i wanna clean a few things up, ie brake calipers etc, its looking kinda shabby atm lol the mags are so open that i can see the oil filter LOL i also noticed that my radiator has come off one of its brackets :S gonna take the battery out and see whats goin on. i just got new front struts put in, cos the idiot befor me had it that low that it was sitting on the rubber stops! so it was a very very rough ride! i felt everything on the road! im assuming a big bump must of knocked the radiator out of its bracket!