PDA

View Full Version : Careful how you use your nut wrench

PaulTheBall
6th October 2004, 08:52 PM
ok so I got off my bum and rotated my wheels a couple of weeks ago. Once every 60,000 km can't be that bad can it? :oops:

By the end of it I had totally trashed the wrench that comes in the back of the Barina. This was after the problem of having to stick another bar to extend it because you can't get any torque on that puny little handle. Presumably the same wrench is found in other Opel models.

The threading inside the head was almost all gone, and certainly could not grip anything. I had to use a socket wrench set to tighten the last wheel.

So I go into the dealer today to ask for a replacement under warranty... but they refused. They claimed that the damage was done by not putting the wrench over the nut properly. That was correct. It is easy to start turning that wrench without having it over the nut correctly.

Anyhow I'm going to invest in a better wrench or a socket wrench soon because the design of the standard wrench makes it too easy to damage.

So the lessons for the rest of us are:
1. If you are going to use the standard wrench, make sure that before you turn it around, the head is fully covering the nut. Kick or hammer it in to make sure.
2. Pack some kind of extension handle in your kit NOW. You don't wanna be jumping on a wrench to loosen nuts if you are stuck on the side of the road, at night, in the rain.

Have fun folks!
:)

OzzySRi
6th October 2004, 09:07 PM
hehe yeah and the supplied jack is a joke too... half a scissor jack pffft. ideal if ur guaranteed a flat level surface :screwy:

Degen-Astra
6th October 2004, 09:13 PM
Look around at a few second hand stores for a torque wrench. Thats the ONLY thing i used to do up the wheels. (New are just damn exxy!)
Undoing I use just a cross wheel brace that we have had for years.

Dregger
6th October 2004, 10:51 PM
cross wheels are the best....easy to use!

anicorsa
6th October 2004, 11:13 PM
Yep, i have a cross wheel brace stored in my boot... so much better than that toothpick you get with the Barina.

Alfonzo
6th October 2004, 11:41 PM
Man, I swear I was cringing from just reading the title of this thread :D

Informative, and less painful inside though - thanks for the heads up, tomorrow I'm off to the boot to check out what I've got in there, lol

mixmelb
7th October 2004, 01:15 PM
I always have a 1m pipe in my boot for wrench extension, also can be useful to bash someone :D

Vectracious
7th October 2004, 01:54 PM
The wrenches in the Astra are sooo much better - 1 full piece of solid metal. Paul I'm assuming your wrench is like the one in the Vectra which has a "flip out" socket that bends if you put more than 3 fingers of force on it...... :(

PaulTheBall
7th October 2004, 04:19 PM
umm no the Barina is one piece of forged something-or-other. But it still is lousy. Calling it a toothpick is right on the money.

GAZ914
8th October 2004, 01:54 PM
'Cause the bolts on my mags are larger than standard (21 mm vs 17 mm), I bought a socket and "breaker bar" from an auto parts place.
This fits into the standard jack bag and has much more leverage than the standard "toothpick".