PDA

View Full Version : Blowing smoke!!??!!

journo
5th October 2004, 11:33 PM
My 11 month old Corsa has started blowing smoke.

It has done 29,000 mostly highway kilometres (note: that is not high kays when living in a regional area).

On cold starts it blows a "shot" of dark smoke about two feet from the exhaust the first and second time the accelerator is used.

ie: acellerating in first then second or if standing still when the throttle is blipped from idle (blipped, not revved to the shithouse)

GODDAMIT!!!
Thank (insert deity here) for the warranty.

RK
5th October 2004, 11:40 PM
hmm. maybe needs a few bursts of carby cleaner or octane booster into the air induction pipe.

Groover
6th October 2004, 07:27 AM
Sounds like your valve seals are leaking. At such low kms, this could happen if the engine has overheated at some stage. If you bought the car second hand you just never know. The valve seals ar like O-rings and if they get too hot they harden (and sometimes crack) which means that they don't seal very well.

Overnight oil drips past the seal and into a piston chamber. When you start in the morning you will get a puff of smoke and then it will be clear. Anyway, it is just a suggestion as I have had this experience before with another car.

journo
6th October 2004, 07:59 AM
Cheers for the info...
I took it in to holden last night and left it in their parking lot.
I met the servicing manager twenty minutes ago and started the car for him... he said there was a small, read tiny, puff of smoke... nothing as bad as I saw yesterday morning.

Bloody thing... the only difference this morning was the weather was slightly less cool.

BTW I bought it new and it has never overheated though I cannot vouch for the several periods it has been at the dealership for warranty on non engine parts that broke, then the other parts they broke, and repainting (the original dealership) after they scratched it and off course the check up and 15K servicing. That said... it was delivered to me by the dealer and it arrived at my office with 40 odd kilometres more on the clock than the drive (85km) from the dealer to my office -- so who knows. :roll:

Anonymous
6th October 2004, 08:37 AM
i think they are required to test it before handing your baby back to make sure its all in working order :P wow man you car has taking a beating from the dealership lets hope they actually fixed you problem yeah? best of luck

journo
7th October 2004, 01:04 AM
Took the car for a long run to warm it right up... then left it at the dealership all afternoon. At 5pm we started it and no smoke at all.
Dealer would think I was full shit if it wasn't for the servicing manager seeing tiny smoke this morning.
When I got it home afterwards I needed to go out and Kate (my significant other) reckons it spate smoke on the start up... Why won't it do it when the dealer is present!?!?!?!

Has anyone else had this issue with their corsa??

NUTTTR
7th October 2004, 01:15 AM
Is it BLACK smoke or BLUE smoke..........
Take a hard look at it, blue smoke, maybe valve stem seals, esp if parked on a slope (so park it with the front up a steep hill) and leave it there and start it about 2 hours later and give it a rev.... Thin hot oil will drain down the engine alot easier, and it's usually the exhaust seals that go (assuming the exhaust is at the back of the engine!)), if it's BLACK then there's something wrong with fuelling, like spark plugs, etc, if it's black, it's not really an issue, however, if it's blue, it indicates oil is getting into the engine (where it shouldn't be) somehow!
Aaron

dan_kind
20th October 2004, 02:55 PM
Erm

I would imagine 'dark smoke' would you just be seeing some rich combustion...the richer it runs the better i say! If its cold, or if its hot you are likely to see black (dark) smoke, nothing to worry about there! Well, unless its really bad!

You are likely to find its in closed loop mode at cold because the oxygen sensor isnt hot enough to begin to start measuring actual mixture, hence it will not measure actual air/fuel after combustion..

What type of fuel are you using?

Even if it was blue smoke, its well and truly acceptable start, your motor would be a lot worse off if there was no oil on the vale steams/cylinder walls...its when it becomes excessive enough to a) consume more than 500ml/10,000k b) gunks plugs c) smokes all the time..

_relax_

If you ever have your motor up at maxo revs, with a fully open throttle, it should be a little smokey (fuel only), look at a commodore as he drives past on open throttle, they drown the thing in fuel...

PilkyGSI
20th October 2004, 07:28 PM
hey sound like you had wat i had, same problem happenend to me, get them to check fuel sensor might just need clean, running rich. they sorted mine out after months of gettin sorted,, dont pay for **** all.

journo
23rd October 2004, 01:10 AM
Update: Holden finally managed to replicate the issue... They are certain it is fuel smoke but no other cars in their lot, even same make/model are doing it.

The dealership and Holden both decided it was not something to be terribly concerned with but are "investigating" to see why it is happening as Holden says it should not be... even though it is "nothing to be concerned with".

AS for it happening when parked up a hill... (which was proven when the dealer servicing manager came to my house one morning to see for himself)... that has them confused.

(in answer to dan_kind: I use BP premium 95 RON or, when not near my local, BP Ultimate.)

PilkyGSI
25th October 2004, 07:21 PM
thats what they send to me, tell them u want it sorted, if not complain to DP LIKE I DID WAT A W**NKER, if that does not work ram it up his BACKEND