PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing parts for LED conversion job

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 11:26 AM
hey guys..

i wanna do the old blue led conversion, but i majorly cbf buying a kit or whatever.. im pretty handy with a soldering iron, so i figure i can manage, as long as i load up on LEDs from jaycar or something..

anyhoo..

the things i need help with are.. how do i get the dash cluster out or apart? every access point is hidden in these new cars! lol

also, what size led's do i need, and if any of you have done it before, whats involved in doing this? i did a search, but all the posts were like 4+ years old, and didnt really help me in terms of procedure.

oh and! where is the easiest and most accessible place to get an OEM globe out, so i can compare sizing and whatever to LEDs (when i go to jaycar)

do any of you know how many LEDs are required for the conversion?

any help or advice would be appreciated

p.s i want to achieve like what this dude has done:

http://www.kingjake.net/smd/1.jpg

your interior looks AWESOME!! :D

Nurb608
23rd April 2010, 11:56 AM
Dash Cluster is pretty easy to get out apparently, only took the guy that did my car 5 minutes. If you have a look at AOC in the uk, vxronline.co.uk etc, there are a few how to threads for this. I believe there is also a list of the correct SMD's somewhere there aswell.

Keep'emRunning
23rd April 2010, 12:11 PM
..iirc 12 x 509T for dash & MFD, 2x32mm festoon rear passenger, 1x42mm festoon front compartment, can't remember the numberplate.

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?22426-kerG-sri-t&p=427820&viewfull=1#post427820

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/ACEparts-Performance-Lighting/

Never did the console a few here will chip in about those ones hopefully :)

Nurb608
23rd April 2010, 12:25 PM
Have a look here too at the kits, still might be cheaper from them, not sure. It does tell you the type though ;) http://www.ledconversions.co.uk/acatalog/Astra_H___Zafira_B_Individual_Kits.html#a33

gmonkey
23rd April 2010, 01:21 PM
Alrighty astra h dash my speciality hahah. I've done 4 led conversions so far. :p

to remove cluster there's two t20 torx screws under the steering wheel column undo them turn ur wheel on the face of the column there's to plastic screw covers take them off remove the screws. Remove the ring surround around ignition. Seperate the two panels of column and disattach the cover that connects to the cluster. Then there is a torx at each bottom corner take them out and pull from bottom and down and out a little there is a red clip in the back for all the wires slide this off. That's got the cluster out now. To open it up now there is about 8 torx t10 in the back of it remove them and take the front plastic ring surround off and the back thin plastic. Remve the see through plastic cover (think was clipped down). Remove the needles by using something to lever them off e.g. A fork (becareful) now needles are off u can remove the cluster display cover and carefully take the odo screen out. and seperate the Chip from the white plastic holder u can now freely solder.

There's about 3-4 smds on each ring and 6 or so for the manual odo display. Don't bother doing the lights at te base of the needle won't do anything

gmonkey
23rd April 2010, 01:24 PM
Feel free to pm me with any questions

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 01:31 PM
AWESOME!! thats what i needed!

i was reading around on vxronline and i mustve looked through like 20 threads, and all they kept saying was how hard it was and that people should get it done by some guy..

(we obviously dont have that luxury!)

can you tell me which led's i need to buy?

and how much of a bitch is it to actually solder them in?

gmonkey
23rd April 2010, 01:34 PM
Soldering was easy! The hardest ones to do are the elec window size ones.. Sorry don't know the names of the smd types I ussually just buy the kits

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 01:37 PM
yeah i might just buy the kit and whack them all in myself :)

those ledconversions.co.uk ones..
you have to specify either 36PLCC-2 or 24PLCC-4... i have NO idea what that means.. help??

Nurb608
23rd April 2010, 01:43 PM
yeah i might just buy the kit and whack them all in myself :)

those ledconversions.co.uk ones..
you have to specify either 36PLCC-2 or 24PLCC-4... i have NO idea what that means.. help??

This may help you better ;)

http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-60326.html

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 01:52 PM
nup.. still confused! lol

Nurb608
23rd April 2010, 02:25 PM
nup.. still confused! lol

lol, somewhere in there it give's you the smd type and how many you need for each bit.

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 02:37 PM
yeah.. theyre not very model specific in their conversation though..

gmonkey, which kits do you usually buy?

gmonkey
23rd April 2010, 04:19 PM
I ussually get the standard 24

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 04:33 PM
whats the difference between them??

gmonkey
23rd April 2010, 04:49 PM
Think the 36 Is for autos as they have a larger odo screen

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 04:52 PM
ahh okay cool.. thanks for ur help man :)

i'll prob break ur balls with 5000 questions once i actually do this thing :D

gmonkey
23rd April 2010, 04:59 PM
No problem mate as I said done a few now :p there not hard to but does help having a good soldering iron

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 05:04 PM
yeah thats not an issue..
i saw on the uk forums, the guys take the stuff out of the car and do all the soldering like inside their house
did u do that too or is it easy enough doing it in the car?

gmonkey
23rd April 2010, 05:08 PM
Did it inside aswell to scared to burn interior with soldering iron :p

If u order one of the kits u get instructions with it aswell

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 05:09 PM
lol cool.. how longs the whole thing take start to finish?

gmonkey
23rd April 2010, 06:09 PM
Depnds on how good ur soldering skills are and abilty to unassemble parts :p should be able to do in one night (4-5 hours)

DIXIE
23rd April 2010, 06:10 PM
haha sweet. i might even take step by step pics and do a how to guide for the site..
saves the next person having to bust nuts like i am lol :D

mmahle
6th May 2010, 12:39 AM
Dash Cluster is pretty easy to get out apparently, only took the guy that did my car 5 minutes. If you have a look at AOC in the uk, vxronline.co.uk etc, there are a few how to threads for this. I believe there is also a list of the correct SMD's somewhere there aswell.

I jumped when I saw this... Is anyone you know Nurb that I can pay in Melbourne to get this done? ><

Nurb608
6th May 2010, 08:37 AM
I jumped when I saw this... Is anyone you know Nurb that I can pay in Melbourne to get this done? ><

Nah, I had to go to NSW to get this done, well it was a side benefit of going there. You only really need someone really who is good at soldering electronics. Pulling the stuff apart is the easy bit, with the exception of trying to get those wondow switches out without scratching them!