PDA

View Full Version : can your insurence change there mind about a claim

bender
20th April 2010, 09:17 PM
as some of you may know i crashed my car

and well last week they told me they were going to fix my car and everything

BUT today when i rang the panel beater they said they havent started work yet as they have not been given conformation to do the work as it was gonna cost more then there max price fix level thing

so my question is can they change there mind like that and can i do anything about it

(also sorry if its in the wrong section)

guy 27
20th April 2010, 09:21 PM
read the fine print in your insurance policy, it will state it there.

hazrd
20th April 2010, 09:27 PM
when they said they would fix it.... did they give you a claim number? if so, i dont think they can change it because there is now an open claim in the system.....

but as Guy said... definitely read the fine print...

kirssn
21st April 2010, 08:05 AM
if you lodge a claim, a claim number has to be assigned whether you proceed with it or not.

In saying that, an insurance company has the right to re-review a situation and alter the path they are taking with a claim.

i.e. a vehicle is damage in an accident, claim is lodged, quote is done and lodged, assessor is assigned, assessor reviews case, assessor sends case to claims department advising of findings, assessor and claims discuss, assessor makes decision to repair/write off vehicle, repairs authorised.

but then something may come up (maybe the market value of the vehicle is less than the cost of repairs if you're on a market value policy) where the assessor re-assesses the situation and the decision may alter as it may not be viable for the company to repair the vehicle, instead writing it off.

at the end of the day, you enter into a contract with the insurance company whereby they have the final say as to what occurs with your vehicle if a claim is made, the majority of the money used to repair your vehicle or pay it out is an insurance companies money, they have to make sure that they do the best thing in their interests as well as the customer..

if you don't agree, that's cool but working for a car insurer.... it's how it goes....

Keep'emRunning
21st April 2010, 11:52 AM
...due to the cost of astra parts, most insurers will hesitate a little on the repair process :)

AfterBurner
21st April 2010, 02:16 PM
if you lodge a claim, a claim number has to be assigned whether you proceed with it or not.

In saying that, an insurance company has the right to re-review a situation and alter the path they are taking with a claim.

i.e. a vehicle is damage in an accident, claim is lodged, quote is done and lodged, assessor is assigned, assessor reviews case, assessor sends case to claims department advising of findings, assessor and claims discuss, assessor makes decision to repair/write off vehicle, repairs authorised.

but then something may come up (maybe the market value of the vehicle is less than the cost of repairs if you're on a market value policy) where the assessor re-assesses the situation and the decision may alter as it may not be viable for the company to repair the vehicle, instead writing it off.

at the end of the day, you enter into a contract with the insurance company whereby they have the final say as to what occurs with your vehicle if a claim is made, the majority of the money used to repair your vehicle or pay it out is an insurance companies money, they have to make sure that they do the best thing in their interests as well as the customer..

if you don't agree, that's cool but working for a car insurer.... it's how it goes....

Sounds fair to me... Just cos they said they'd fix it, doesn't mean they will if it costs more than writing it off... Was prolly a passing comment by someone answering phones, not the actual assessor prior to assessment. Hence the whole idea of having an assessor.