PDA

View Full Version : Likelihood of the FT-86?

BEK-46P
20th April 2010, 07:50 PM
Have some Kleenex ready... (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8)

Not sure if this is old news, but after hearing about a possibly new upcoming Celica, I came across it.

This is definitely worth holding out for if it gets the green light...

hazrd
20th April 2010, 07:57 PM
yeah this concept has been around for a while

as for it coming here, i have no idea, but given the number of awesome cars overseas that we will never see here, this will probably be one of them

poita
20th April 2010, 08:01 PM
toyota 350z?

either way, wow that things fukin hot!

BEK-46P
20th April 2010, 08:01 PM
Apparently, a fully-optioned version will go for about $30K... somehow doesn't sound right.

EDIT: OK, it was too good to be true. According to an Oz sight, it may sell for $50-70K if it hits our shores.

hazrd
20th April 2010, 08:03 PM
fark thats cheap ill take two if thats the case :lol:

edit: sounded too good to be true lol

poita
20th April 2010, 08:05 PM
30k wow. they will sell tonnes of em

BEK-46P
20th April 2010, 08:10 PM
More info here. (http://www.ft86club.com/)

2.0L @ 170KW? Sounds a bit... underpowered, considering it's shit hot exterior.

Wraith
20th April 2010, 09:16 PM
Yes, this ones been around a while...and it's been discussed here before too.

It's a spin-off of Toyotas FT-HS concept which has been around a while longer, see here if your not already familar with it:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_FT-HS

That FT-HS is one seriously hot piece of automotive creation in every respect...pity it'll never happen.

Hopefully this watered down FT-86 does happen and end up down under...

gmonkey
20th April 2010, 10:10 PM
More info here. (http://www.ft86club.com/)

2.0L @ 170KW? Sounds a bit... underpowered, considering it's shit hot exterior.

sounds pretty much right to me.. About vxr sorta level and pricing and no offence to vxr owners but it looks awesome compared (and I like the vxr!)

Does anyone remember wat sorta market value the celica and supra was when new?

glider
20th April 2010, 10:39 PM
sounds pretty much right to me.. About vxr sorta level and pricing and no offence to vxr owners but it looks awesome compared (and I like the vxr!)

vxr was 40k not 30

gmonkey
20th April 2010, 10:52 PM
I thought the vxr was 50k :S

glider
20th April 2010, 10:56 PM
nah, the nurb wasnt even that much afaik

Wraith
21st April 2010, 12:48 PM
VXR's when 1st released sold for circa $46,800 drive away - here in Melb. not sure about other states...

Later on with the slowing down of initial interest/sales, the 2nd batch were going for anywhere around 42-44k drive away...

Then in the end with the occurance of the GFC the last ones left over including the Nurbs could be had for under 40k drive away...I saw many of the last ones going for 37-39k drive away !!!

The above prices were for outright purchases, those who bought with loans etc. especially the 1st batch could've or will have indeed paid well over 50k for their VXR...OUCH !!!

Nurb608
21st April 2010, 01:33 PM
Can't really compare it to the vxr's though. This thing is a sports car, not a hot hatch. Also with atleast an $8k price difference going on BEK's revised pricing. Even with 10hp less than the VXR, it will probably be 150KG's lighter so no difference really in that respect. Bloody thing does look really nice though, except for those seats!

liam
22nd April 2010, 01:06 AM
Itd be nice to see those carbon bits reach production, diffuser, half handles, wing mirror and interior bits all into a 50k production car - cant see it myself but it sure would be nice!

JohnBu
22nd April 2010, 12:26 PM
Great basic shape.. the styling will change, but when the basic is so good, even Toyota can't stuff it up.

Should be good when it comes out, hope the Australian model gets the good stuff, i.e. engine, brakes, suspension.

My only concern is the price, hope they can keep it at around the $40k level. The last celica's were horrendously expensive for what you got.

gmonkey
30th April 2010, 01:16 AM
theyve scraped the boxer engine... all i have to say is YAY!!!! :)

also this

Another unexpected turn of events will leave the FT-86 aimed at the target age group of people in their 40s as opposed to the 30s scene that Toyota (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/index99.html) anticipated.

i woulda thought it be aimed at 20s - 30s to start with and maybe 40yr old females when they realise a hard top convertible version

btm
30th April 2010, 09:37 AM
concept is pretty freaking hot!

Wraith
30th April 2010, 12:43 PM
theyve scraped the boxer engine... all i have to say is YAY!!!! :)

i woulda thought it be aimed at 20s - 30s to start with and maybe 40yr old females when they realise a hard top convertible version

All that 'really' implies is that the price point will be more suited to that age bracket !!! in other words it won't be a cheap car in the end and not in the price range of younger people...

As for the boxer engine being omitted, I see that as not such a good thing...I've always wanted a wrx that actually looked good...this could've been something along those lines, imagine a beautiful/sleek coupe with the power and burble of that boxer engine, pity it dosn't meet future emissions regulations.

gmonkey
30th April 2010, 04:44 PM
Subaru is still using it in there version but Toyota ain't.. I hate sound of boxer engines myself :p

gmonkey
11th May 2010, 09:40 PM
Subaru has released it's concept version images

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/djksI1QeN_0/0.jpg

liam
11th May 2010, 10:21 PM
^^^ that is hot! GT-R lookalike though

Wraith
14th May 2010, 01:11 PM

WOW !!!

If only....

Concept to reality rarely stays as good, if that above existed I'd want to buy one !

I think that above could eventuate into the much rumoured WRX STI coupe...

btm
14th May 2010, 01:41 PM

man that looks good!

hazrd
14th May 2010, 08:45 PM
seeing subaru release something of the above image is like opel releasing another calibra......

2JZSUP
1st January 2011, 12:12 PM

not sure about celica but the supra was around 160k brand new 17 years ago

rjastra
1st January 2011, 09:50 PM
not sure about celica but the supra was around 160k brand new 17 years ago

We never got that series in Australia so not sure where you got that price from.

poita
1st January 2011, 09:55 PM
$160k for a supra? wtf

metry
1st January 2011, 11:48 PM
$160k for a supra? wtf

maybe he meant 16k? 160k for a supra 17 years ago. personally would of gone for a ferrari or something like that

JohnBu
2nd January 2011, 01:12 AM
It was about $60k when it was released in aust.

Up to about $80k for the turbo

This was 2 generations ago, Oz never officially sold the last gen supra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmonkey
2nd January 2011, 02:58 AM
yeh i remember supras being $44k for non turbo auto 2nd hand at dealers about 15yrs ago and turbos being 50k

2JZSUP
2nd January 2011, 12:49 PM
there are 2 different spec of toyta supras, one is JDM spec and the other one is USDM spec. The USDM was alot more expensive due to few reason. More info in here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Supra

And there was a special vision of supra was made and it was was called TRD 3000 GT which was only a few numbers were made. And this was close to 160k when it was first released.

rjastra
2nd January 2011, 10:15 PM
there are 2 different spec of toyta supras, one is JDM spec and the other one is USDM spec. The USDM was alot more expensive due to few reason. More info in here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Supra

And there was a special vision of supra was made and it was was called TRD 3000 GT which was only a few numbers were made. And this was close to 160k when it was first released.

But it was never sold here.....

2JZSUP
3rd January 2011, 12:40 AM
But it was never sold here.....

The USDM spec supra was never sold here because the driver side is on the wrong side. The TRD 3000 GT was sold here but not brand new. I saw one for sale 3 years ago for 65k and that was used with 44000 kms.

btw i have complete USDM Spec turbos in my supra and it does makes huge different compare to JDM twins

poita
3rd January 2011, 12:43 AM
only possibility of them coming to aus if it was a personal import.

btw not sure what your twins have to do with the FT-86

JohnBu
3rd January 2011, 04:36 PM
The TRD 3000 GT was sold here but not brand new. I saw one for sale 3 years ago for 65k and that was used with 44000 kms.

Lucky Carsales only charges once to list it regardless of how long it takes to sell it.

What are they asking for it 3 years on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjastra
5th January 2011, 09:15 AM
The USDM spec supra was never sold here because the driver side is on the wrong side. The TRD 3000 GT was sold here but not brand new. I saw one for sale 3 years ago for 65k and that was used with 44000 kms.

btw i have complete USDM Spec turbos in my supra and it does makes huge different compare to JDM twins

They were never sold here new. Not sure why the discussion has progressed this far. Not really interested in the grey/personal import market as it has collapsed (they sure as hell arent 65k anymore - more like 30k)

Neeko
5th January 2011, 11:11 AM
The FT-86 WILL be coming to Australia in 2012 with the 2.5l Turbo Boxer engine my car has.
Released in Japan at the end of 2011.

Toyota's next big move after the FJ Cruiser

Wraith
5th January 2011, 01:08 PM
The FT-86 WILL be coming to Australia in 2012 with the 2.5l Turbo Boxer engine my car has.

Interesting...

If the the production car ends up looking like this - I want one :)

http://i51.tinypic.com/dy7qqu.jpg

hazrd
5th January 2011, 01:16 PM
370z much

Wraith
5th January 2011, 01:24 PM
370z much

In my eyes this one's totally different to the 370Z or even the 350Z - much nicer looking than the Nissan IMO.

Plus the interior is way more advanced too, ie. if it stays close to the concept/prototype vehicles we're seeing ATM.

If Peugoet can do it with the RCZ surely Toyota can !!! :D

rjastra
5th January 2011, 01:45 PM

One would hope it is based on the NEW boxer engines not the one currently used which is a petrol guzzler.

I have read reports from US mags that seems to suggest that the price of the FT86 is steadily increasing and it when it reaches the market it will not be the affordable coupe it was initially designed to be.

PS: The FJ Cruiser is O L D. The USA has had them since 2007 (saw one in Aspen in Jan 2007). Like the Rukus, it will not change the way we think of Toyota or sell in large numbers.

Neeko
5th January 2011, 03:23 PM
One would hope it is based on the NEW boxer engines not the one currently used which is a petrol guzzler.

I have read reports from US mags that seems to suggest that the price of the FT86 is steadily increasing and it when it reaches the market it will not be the affordable coupe it was initially designed to be.

PS: The FJ Cruiser is O L D. The USA has had them since 2007 (saw one in Aspen in Jan 2007). Like the Rukus, it will not change the way we think of Toyota or sell in large numbers.

all depends on how its driven, I average 7.4l/100km on my way to work.

The Rukus or FJ cruiser aren't meant for big numbers. I can't think of the term but they are only brought out for a specific market to change things up. Our dealership only sold 2 Rukus's in 2010. Expecting a few more sales from the FJ cruiser here though when it arrives in 69 days.

01CDsedan
5th January 2011, 04:46 PM
It's hard to see how they will be able to keep the bonnet line that low and still meet pedestrian protection regs, especially if they're not going to put the boxer engine in it anymore.

I'm torn about this car on the whole. On the one hand, I would like to see an affordable RWD coupe on the market again and this might be just the ticket (even if I'm not totally convinced by the styling, and I have some reservations about the Toyota badge given its fleet/pensioner/Camry implications). But on the other hand, I'm worried about being totally let down when it finally arrives in Australia $10k overpriced and with a 2.4 litre four hooked up to a four speed auto.

If this had been, say, a new Nissan Silvia project then I'd be excited without reservation. I don't want to get too excited about a Toyota product until they actually deliver. Too many years of seeing Toyota marketing spin about how their latest model has great performance and handling only to find it's the same old whitegoods when you read the reviews...

I suppose there's always the Subaru version :)

rjastra
6th January 2011, 01:19 PM
all depends on how its driven, I average 7.4l/100km on my way to work.

Do you push your STI to work? ;) The best official economy is 8.4L/100km on the unrealistic extra-urban cycle. Combined cycle is 10.5l/100km. Urban is 14L/100km.

The other point people are getting confused with is the term "affordable". The FT86/086A will not be cheap. That's why they are looking at installing more powerful engines. People wont buy it otherwise.

poita
6th January 2011, 01:21 PM
its a WRX, not STi ;)

sooty
6th January 2011, 01:23 PM
Do you push your STI to work? ;) The best official economy is 8.4L/100km on the unrealistic extra-urban cycle. Combined cycle is 10.5l/100km. Urban is 14L/100km.

The other point people are getting confused with is the term "affordable". The FT86/086A will not be cheap. That's why they are looking at installing more powerful engines. People wont buy it otherwise.

I average 9.6l/100km driving 300km a week through both peak hours 5 days a week.
Nico lives in Boonah and practically has highways to work. At 100km/h my EJ25 only uses mid 6's so his figures are pretty much as expected.

On topic, I was just talking the other day to a mate about how this segment of cars doesn't exist anymore. The cheap rwd 'sport' car. So would be good to see the market return :)

Wraith
6th January 2011, 01:31 PM
You guys seem to be getting very good economy from your Sube 2.5ltr turbo boxers...

Are you all measuring 'actual' usage or just going by what the trip computer tells you ?? most trip meters in all cars are out and show less than what's actually used...

Agree with rj, those numbers are very optimistic unless of course your spending most of the time with a light foot on the loud pedal ;)

sooty
6th January 2011, 01:33 PM
You guys seem to be getting very good economy from your Sube 2.5ltr turbo boxers...

Are you all measuring 'actual' usage or just going by what the trip computer tells you ?? most trip meters in all cars are out and show less than what's actually used...

Agree with rj, those numbers are very optimistic unless of course your spending most of the time with a light foot on the loud pedal ;)

Measured at the pump. It's only acceleration that monsters the fuel, so as long as you're not launching between sets of traffic lights I find it hard to see how you could average more than 10L/100km

Wraith
6th January 2011, 01:35 PM
On topic, I was just talking the other day to a mate about how this segment of cars doesn't exist anymore. The cheap rwd 'sport' car. So would be good to see the market return :)

On that topic, the king of RWD vehicles - BMW - will actually be going the reverse way in future and loose most of its RWD range to FWD !!!! sacrilege.......

Wraith
6th January 2011, 01:38 PM
Measured at the pump. It's only acceleration that monsters the fuel, so as long as you're not launching between sets of traffic lights I find it hard to see how you could average more than 10L/100km

Thought so...

Would actually be too easy to go way over 10lts/100km by pushing them a bit here and there, the average I hear from quite a few peeps I know with rexes is 15-16ltrs/100km...and the rex is lighter than the lib.

01CDsedan
6th January 2011, 02:26 PM
On that topic, the king of RWD vehicles - BMW - will actually be going the reverse way in future and loose most of its RWD range to FWD !!!! sacrilege.......

...and this is horrible, horrible news as one of the cars on my "maybe one day" list was the BMW 135i. If it has gone FWD by the time I can buy one, I'll be shopping elsewhere for sure.

(I still live in hope of a new RWD Alfa GTV...)

Wraith
6th January 2011, 05:28 PM
...and this is horrible, horrible news as one of the cars on my "maybe one day" list was the BMW 135i. If it has gone FWD by the time I can buy one, I'll be shopping elsewhere for sure.

(I still live in hope of a new RWD Alfa GTV...)

Yep, terrible news it is, however I suspect BMW will get it right with their incarnation/s of FWD :)

BTW the 1st on the list will be the new 1 series (or 2 series if that's what they're gonna call it ??) in 2012, it'll also have downsized engines across the range...4 potters going down to 3 pot (yes new IL3 cylinder engine) and IL6's being replaced with IL4's...apparently the new future 1M or M2 whichever it'll be will be powered by a turbo 4 not 6 and not sure whether or not it'll retain RWD...

The IL6 turbo will only feature on new 3 series vehicles, including the new M3 which will be downsizing from the V8, new M5 will have a TTV8 replacing the atmo V10...

If you can, then you can get yourself one of the current 135i's until about the end of the 1st quarter of 2012, which are face-lifted from around March this year and have nicer tail and healights :)

The face lifted 123d coupe has a similar front lower bar as the new upcoming 1M.

gmonkey
7th January 2011, 02:24 AM

fj cruiser new one was a fail of a concept!!!!!!!!

Neeko
7th January 2011, 02:48 PM
we're expecting to sell 6 FJ cruisers a year and we're a Bantam weight dealership (Small-Medium Size)

sooty
30th March 2011, 06:01 PM
Back on topic.. Some new pics...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/egmcartech/sets/72157626049504413/with/5562834222/

Wraith
31st March 2011, 11:50 AM
Back on topic.. Some new pics...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/egmcartech/sets/72157626049504413/with/5562834222/

Yep, it's looking good in terms of finally after soooo long nearing reality, but I still would've prefered the original concept to this latest iteration of it...

It's starting to look a bit weired in my eyes especially the front end and no doubt it'll lose alot of the nice things like those head and tail lights when it finally arrives in production form...

Powerplant info dosn't sound that promising either just yet, we need to see this thing with a full whack turbo powerplant not just atmo power with a reasonable power/weight ratio...

guy 27
31st March 2011, 11:59 AM
looks wise doesn't do much for me. Just looks like a kitted camery from some angles.

maybe if i saw it in a different colour my opinion might change.

gmonkey
31st March 2011, 12:13 PM
Ft86 GT4? :-)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

GreyRex
18th May 2011, 04:18 PM
This has come out...

http://www.caradvice.com.au/119138/toyota-ft-86-spy-photos/#comments

gmonkey
18th May 2011, 04:41 PM
I just hope it doesn't have a subaru gearbox haha

sooty
18th May 2011, 04:55 PM

The 6spd is bullet proof. Just the 5spd is toothpicks and rice bubbles lol.

Those wheels are the same as mine, 07 STi enkeis

Neeko
18th May 2011, 06:22 PM
The 6spd is bullet proof. Just the 5spd is toothpicks and rice bubbles lol.

Those wheels are the same as mine, 07 STi enkeis

Not anymore, 5 speed received a complete overhaul. That's why the latest shape wrx now has a whine in 1st and 2nd, not the glass gearbox they used to be.

Can't wait to get 1 of these at the dealership.

hazrd
18th May 2011, 06:54 PM
the final product looks like shit compared to the concept drawings... then again most cars are which sucks

sooty
18th May 2011, 06:56 PM
the final product looks like shit compared to the concept drawings... then again most cars are which sucks

Camouflage hides lots of body lines too. I wouldn't rule it out, looks like it has potential

ChrisMaz
18th May 2011, 07:29 PM
Looks like typical boring Scion Styling.

Shadow110
18th May 2011, 07:52 PM
The black one looks pretty aggressive

GreyRex
19th May 2011, 12:52 PM
Here's another one 'hotted up'

http://www.caradvice.com.au/119306/toyota-ft-86-or-subaru-version/

Wraith
19th May 2011, 01:13 PM

Sti's transmissions have always been pretty bullet proof, only older model regular rexes had quite a bit of trans probs...

As for the FT86 I'm still a fan, looks good even with all the camo IMO - just hope they don't stuff it up by making it a dud performer.