PDA

View Full Version : Semi slicks...

xplosv57
20th April 2010, 06:58 PM
just purchased a set (well another set) of 16in wheels for my astra and am looking into semi slicks.

the original tyres on the wheels are 205/50 R16 but am finding it difficult to find a choice of tyres

the 3 im interested in are......

Falken RT615
Toyo R888
Kumho KU36

also looked into the Bridgestone RE55 and Michelin Pilot Cup Sport but they are very hard to come by in any size, let alone 16inch...

2 questions...

Which tyres are the preferred choice?? Any other brands are welcome too if you know of any.

Should i stick with the 205/50 size or go bigger/smaller?

these are purely track tyres, so wear is not an issue...

regards, Steve!

guy 27
20th April 2010, 07:09 PM
I'm in the same situation as you but have narrowed it down to either the Falkens or the Kumho.

Will be going for a 225/50 r16 as neither company make a 205/50 from what I can find.

Price wise between the 2 they are pretty even.

I ruled out the toyo as I don't think they will handle wet weather very well and got some bad reviews in that area. (I know semi's will never be the greatest in the wet but still want some safety) Also they seem to wear faster and cost a fair bit more.

I will be in contact with Michelin for another matter in the next couple of weeks so will find out about sizing in their range for you.

CNBLU
20th April 2010, 09:13 PM
Steve theres a tyre place in Richmond (cant think of the name) that stock the RE55's in 16's

Look them up, they are very competitive on pricing

poita
20th April 2010, 09:18 PM
also try St George tyres Stve. thats who i got the tyres for my cally from

Toyo R888 in 16's

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-X-NEW-225-50-16-TOYO-R888-SEMI-SLICK-RACE-TYRES-L-K_W0QQitemZ230461137315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_P arts_Accessories?hash=item35a88de1a3

xplosv57
20th April 2010, 09:30 PM
Toyo R888 in 16's

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-X-NEW-225-50-16-TOYO-R888-SEMI-SLICK-RACE-TYRES-L-K_W0QQitemZ230461137315QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_P arts_Accessories?hash=item35a88de1a3

yep saw those, but from what i've been told they are overpriced here, so looking at getting them from NZ when a mate flys over in a couple of weeks.

Nurb608
20th April 2010, 10:18 PM
KU36's are good, but not really a semi slcik. Toya's or the re55's are probably a better choice.

xplosv57
20th April 2010, 10:22 PM
KU36's are good, but not really a semi slcik. Toya's or the re55's are probably a better choice.

yeah the KU36s are only on the list cos they are the cheapest of the decent brands (saw some Achilles semis but im guessing theyre just standard tyres with glue sprayed on them lol)

sooty
20th April 2010, 10:24 PM
I know you don't like your current hankook's, and don't know how they go, but hankook z212?

xplosv57
20th April 2010, 10:26 PM
I know you don't like your current hankook's, and don't know how they go, but hankook z212?

yeah called up my works tyre supplier, they said they cant get the RT615s or R888s in the 205/50 but they did tell me those Hankooks come in that size, and weren't too bad price wise BUT ive never seen or known anyone to use them so am unsure, would rather spend a bit more and go with something i know will be decent!!

gman
20th April 2010, 10:33 PM
Toyo R888, Kuhmo V70A, Hankook Ventus are all very good middle of the range semis.

Yokohama A048 or A050, Dunlop D03G, Bridgestone RE55, Hoosier A or R range, are all the premium semis.

Value, Toyo are almost unbeatable. Outright performance, A050's. Difference is about 1 sec a lap and the Toyo's will last 4 or 5 track days, Yokies maybe 2 or 3....

Nurb608
20th April 2010, 10:36 PM
The A050's are the ones I want to try, but just can't justify the expense until i learn how to drive :p

gman
21st April 2010, 07:00 AM
I drove on them in Japan last year, they are so close to a slick! But they are so soft you'd be lucky to get two decent track days from them and the soft compound goes off pretty quick.

metry
22nd April 2010, 10:02 PM
look to america to see if you can import a set of tyres. exhange rates arent too bad atm and they usually have a wider range of sizes. only thing id be concerned about is the cost of shipping

xplosv57
22nd April 2010, 10:48 PM
thanks for all the help guys!

contacted my work tyre supplier and almost choked on the price of the Toyos and they reckon the Falkens aren't available anymore!! got the local Beaurepairs guy on the case, he's gonna look into it for me, then my mate is gonna speak to the Toyo rep in NZ and see what he can do for me!!

will look into the US but as you said, shipping would be something horrendous!!

i think the Hankook 18s will be doing Winton at this stage =(

guy 27
22nd April 2010, 11:01 PM
st george tyres in NSW had the Falkens in a 225 50 16 in stock recently (last week) give them a buzz to see if they got anymore.

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 06:37 PM
ok now that im driving with the 16s on the car with 9 year old pilot sports and with winton fast approaching, im in a bit of a bind on what i should do!!

im now considering a few options....

save a few dollars, get 2 stickys for the front (R888s or RT615s) and 2 Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001s for the rear

save quite a few dollars and get a full set of Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE001s

or run with the 18s for Winton and save for a full set of stickys later down the track........

guy 27
4th May 2010, 06:41 PM
run sticky tyres. at least on the fronts.

I noticed a massive drop in handling on my car when i went from 16's to 18's. (probably due to the 35 profile of my 18's)

maybe if you really want cheap tyres for that one day on the track
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/tyres-205-50-16-/160430623828?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255a690c54

or something a little nicer
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-X-205-50-16-87V-BRAND-NEW-FALKEN-ZE-912-TYRES-/280494726985?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item414ec9df49

Nurb608
4th May 2010, 06:43 PM
Good tyres for the front, and just remember, it may be a wet track. Stuff the back, you don't use them anyway and will help you turn the car in on the corners :p

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 06:47 PM
run sticky tyres. at least on the fronts.

I noticed a massive drop in handling on my car when i went from 16's to 18's. (probably due to the 35 profile of my 18's)

maybe if you really want cheap tyres for that one day on the track
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/tyres-205-50-16-/160430623828?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item255a690c54

or something a little nicer
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-X-205-50-16-87V-BRAND-NEW-FALKEN-ZE-912-TYRES-/280494726985?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item414ec9df49

oh yeah the stickys will be on the front 100%

thanks for the links Guy, dunno how i couldn't find them when i searched!!

the goodyears are almost too cheap to say no, but the falken ze912s aren't that much cheaper than what i can get the re001s for so id stick with the bridgeys!!

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 06:50 PM
Hmm... I wouldn't say the rears aren't important. Sure they're not putting any power down, but I sure would want to be confident with my rear grip on some of those Winton corners. I don't think i'd like having the sticky tyres on the front and having nice turn in but have the back try to overtake the front. Personally i'd just run the 18's and have a more neutral handling car.

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 06:51 PM
Good tyres for the front, and just remember, it may be a wet track. Stuff the back, you don't use them anyway and will help you turn the car in on the corners :p

well thats what made me think of it cos its the first time ive driven in the wet with my current tyres and had next to no grip!!

Nurb608
4th May 2010, 06:57 PM
well thats what made me think of it cos its the first time ive driven in the wet with my current tyres and had next to no grip!!

lol, just put something thats not overly expensive on the back but is going to disperse water if it's on the track. The front's I still wouldn't run slicks, play it safe with something a bit more intermediate. Or as Matt said, chuck the 18's on and just get used to the car on the track.

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 07:00 PM
Hmm... I wouldn't say the rears aren't important. Sure they're not putting any power down, but I sure would want to be confident with my rear grip on some of those Winton corners. I don't think i'd like having the sticky tyres on the front and having nice turn in but have the back try to overtake the front. Personally i'd just run the 18's and have a more neutral handling car.

nah im definetely gonna try have new tyres regardless, the rears are definetely important but would be more confident having the semis on the front to eliminate understeer which is more likely than oversteer in a fwd. couple of customers we get in with minis seem to have the same setup with semis on the front and the standard dunlops on the rear.

still my least preferred option is to run the 18s due to their on off grip, dont wanna be looping it on the s bend on the main straight........... =P

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 07:05 PM
nah im definetely gonna try have new tyres regardless, the rears are definetely important but would be more confident having the semis on the front to eliminate understeer which is more likely than oversteer in a fwd. couple of customers we get in with minis seem to have the same setup with semis on the front and the standard dunlops on the rear.

still my least preferred option is to run the 18s due to their on off grip, dont wanna be looping it on the s bend on the main straight........... =P

lol I still wouldn't run semi's on the front and 'normal' tyres on the rear. You want all the even lateral grip you can get, particularly on that big sweeper... turn in, "oh sweet it turns in nice" mid corner "oh shit". I'd rather be able to feel the front push first and then just back it off to suit.

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 07:07 PM
lol, just put something thats not overly expensive on the back but is going to disperse water if it's on the track. The front's I still wouldn't run slicks, play it safe with something a bit more intermediate. Or as Matt said, chuck the 18's on and just get used to the car on the track.

well i know the R888s do well in the wet, mate raced his car last week in the rain and hail and didn't have too much traction issues, and as for the RT615s, Mats best to comment but id guess theyre good in the wet judging from the tread design....

otherwise the RE001s seem to be a favourite for performance road use and not too bad on a track!!

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 07:10 PM
well i know the R888s do well in the wet, mate raced his car last week in the rain and hail and didn't have too much traction issues, and as for the RT615s, Mats best to comment but id guess theyre good in the wet judging from the tread design....

otherwise the RE001s seem to be a favourite for performance road use and not too bad on a track!!

Yeah the 615's surprised me in the wet. Didn't think they'd grip as well as they do in the wet. Just keep an eye out if there are any 'rivers' running across the track because that's where the tread exceeds it's water dispersing rate...

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 07:13 PM
lol I still wouldn't run semi's on the front and 'normal' tyres on the rear. You want all the even lateral grip you can get, particularly on that big sweeper... turn in, "oh sweet it turns in nice" mid corner "oh shit". I'd rather be able to feel the front push first and then just back it off to suit.

yeah im in two minds about it, theres pros and cons about both setups, one customer at work with semis on the front will hopefully be in tomorrow so ill try and have a word with him about it!!

Yeah the 615's surprised me in the wet. Didn't think they'd grip as well as they do in the wet. Just keep an eye out if there are any 'rivers' running across the track because that's where the tread exceeds it's water dispersing rate...

yeah no tyre can match up with the rivers across the track, just hang on for dear life, or slow down!!

Nurb608
4th May 2010, 07:30 PM
Just don't judge your set up on what the mini's do, they are absolute nuts around the corners at Winton, no chance of getting an astra to handle like they do!

I'm still a big believer of getting used to the car on the track before getting high spec tyres though. With normal tyres, it's a progressive feeling you get when you are loosing traction, with track tyres, you either have grip, or your off!

Just my opinion ;)

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 07:44 PM
Just don't judge your set up on what the mini's do, they are absolute nuts around the corners at Winton, no chance of getting an astra to handle like they do!

I'm still a big believer of getting used to the car on the track before getting high spec tyres though. With normal tyres, it's a progressive feeling you get when you are loosing traction, with track tyres, you either have grip, or your off!

Just my opinion ;)

on im not judging it just based on the minis, but its purely a cost issue at the moment...

its good to have a few opinions from you guys with track experience and will take it on board, but just based on general road experience, the hankook 18s aren't happy and the michelins on the 16s are well past their use by date so new tyres would be a great benefit!!!

might just suck it up and go on the 18s, won't push as hard but like you say, just get used to the car on the track!!

but that also means the ride height is going up =(

Nurb608
4th May 2010, 08:00 PM
I've only been out twice, i'd listen more to Matt, lol. But I can give ya a point of view from someone starting out on the track. And with ride height, you'd be happy to be higher if you come off at the end of Kitome Straight :p There's a big ditch there.

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 08:19 PM
I think Rory and me are on the same page. Stay with the 18's and suck it up for this time around. You'll still have fun even if you have to take it a bit slower, but at least you'll have a progressive car rather than one that turns in and feels iffy in the rear end.

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 08:20 PM
guess i better fix the punctured tyre then, and will also need to find a spring compressor to adjust the height....

Nurb608
4th May 2010, 08:22 PM
I think Rory and me are on the same page. Stay with the 18's and suck it up for this time around. You'll still have fun even if you have to take it a bit slower, but at least you'll have a progressive car rather than one that turns in and feels iffy in the rear end.

Yup!

I know my first outing at Winton, i couldn't believe how much of my own car i didn't know and even by the end of the day I still didn't know it's limits. Massive difference on and off the track, probably a mindset, and run off areas :)

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 08:22 PM
guess i better fix the punctured tyre then, and will also need to find a spring compressor to adjust the height....

What's wrong with your height?

Nurb608
4th May 2010, 08:23 PM

Brotek this saturday? I'm booking Nuggz in, lol

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 08:29 PM
What's wrong with your height?

scrubs on hard and tight cornering with the 18s, hence why i bought the 16s........

Brotek this saturday? I'm booking Nuggz in, lol

nah busy saturday, tried to get him last sunday but no good!!!

its easy to adjust, just need access to spring compressors for the rear.

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 08:36 PM
scrubs on hard and tight cornering with the 18s, hence why i bought the 16s........

its easy to adjust, just need access to spring compressors for the rear.

Oh don't worry about that... I let my tyres adjust my gaurd lining instead.

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 08:37 PM
dont wanna be looping it on the s bend on the main straight........... =P

Hey I didn't see that comment before...

Even Whincup does it on that corner! haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSeAyGVI_L0

gman
4th May 2010, 09:48 PM
I'm thinking of running either a new set of the Toyo R888's or the Yokohama A050's at Winton if I can get the right size in time. As for the Falken RT615's I used to run around on them on the street as they were my everyday tyre. I have a used set at home at the moment in a 215/45/17 (if only you were runnign 17's :) ) and my current track rims have old Kuhmo V70A's on them ATM which were shaved so definately no good in the rain....If it does rain, the AD-08's will have to do but they are meant to be a road track tyre anyways....

A new set of RT615's will be fine in the wet as long as its only damp and isn't a torrent across the track. They are great with a wet surface, not so good with standing water as they can aquaplane easily....Are you running at Winton Mat??? What tyres are you running on??? Rory, what you using??

Nurb608
4th May 2010, 09:53 PM
I'm just running on my Kuhmo KU36's for a while. Tyres are the least of my worries at the moment until I learn the car properly, then i'll look at getting some decent tyres to further improve my times. They're still not the best in the wet, but then again, if it rains, i'll be driving like a grandpa :)

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 10:40 PM
I'm thinking of running either a new set of the Toyo R888's or the Yokohama A050's at Winton if I can get the right size in time. As for the Falken RT615's I used to run around on them on the street as they were my everyday tyre. I have a used set at home at the moment in a 215/45/17 (if only you were runnign 17's :) ) and my current track rims have old Kuhmo V70A's on them ATM which were shaved so definately no good in the rain....If it does rain, the AD-08's will have to do but they are meant to be a road track tyre anyways....

A new set of RT615's will be fine in the wet as long as its only damp and isn't a torrent across the track. They are great with a wet surface, not so good with standing water as they can aquaplane easily....Are you running at Winton Mat??? What tyres are you running on??? Rory, what you using??

Spot on about the RT615's. I won't be running at this one, wasn't going to have time to get the car ready for it but i'm hoping to head up and take some photos for you guys for this one. The last run I did up there I ran on the RT615's and I was extremely happy, even had a wet session at the end of the day and they had great grip.

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 10:50 PM
What ever you do stay off full slicks. lol They can really **** your day up if you're out on a slightly damp track like this bloke found out on one of the days I did up there...

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/MatsHolden/wintonJuly09_resize11327.jpg

Nurb608
4th May 2010, 10:53 PM
What ever you do stay off full slicks. lol They can really **** your day up if you're out on a slightly damp track like this bloke found out on one of the days I did up there...

Ouch!

Thats why I still race with traction on, lol

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 10:53 PM

LOLOL well for one its a commodore, so it was never gonna be happy round a track!!!

secondly, i know that car and im glad it got damaged cos it looked hideous with that supercar kit!!

MatsHolden
4th May 2010, 11:13 PM
LOLOL well for one its a commodore, so it was never gonna be happy round a track!!!

secondly, i know that car and im glad it got damaged cos it looked hideous with that supercar kit!!

lol be nice. It was actually in mint condition and the work under the bonnet was top class. But yeah could've been better in the looks department.
And get this... it wasn't the owner who put it into the wall.

xplosv57
4th May 2010, 11:28 PM
lol be nice. It was actually in mint condition and the work under the bonnet was top class. But yeah could've been better in the looks department.
And get this... it wasn't the owner who put it into the wall.

hmmm must've swapped owners, the bloke used to live next to my high school, was a stocko 5l calais but had the supercar front bar and rear wing and those multi spoke rims, but wasn't anything special condition wise...

gman
5th May 2010, 06:19 PM
Picked up my R888 in a 215/45/17 today....$750 cheaper than the A050's too...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/aussiegman/980c7b3b.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/aussiegman/990f79f9.jpg

metry
7th May 2010, 09:53 AM
where did you get em from

gman
7th May 2010, 04:08 PM
where did you get em from

I get all my tyres through a friend that owns a Bob Janes Franchaise on the NSW Central Coast....

metry
9th May 2010, 09:51 PM
LOOOLLLL you gotta love those good old connections aye.

xplosv57
4th September 2010, 05:42 PM
4 months on and still haven't got any tyres lol

i can get a set of RT615s for cheap, but they are 205/40 R16, the original tyres are 205/50 R16, the 225/50s are $200 more

or theres a second hand set of R888s in 215/45 R18 going for dirt cheap, but pick up sydney only....

guy 27
4th September 2010, 08:31 PM
what about going to a 225 45 R16. they will fit on and are only 0.4% out on speed.

xplosv57
4th September 2010, 08:33 PM
what about going to a 225 45 R16. they will fit on and are only 0.4% out on speed.

what brand though??

guy 27
4th September 2010, 08:45 PM
toyo 888, Bridgestone Potenza Re55, Kuhmo Ku36 and i'm sure there are others.

only thing is they are recommend on a 7.5" wide rim.

other option is move to 17's which will give you a better choice of tyres to suit.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Factory-Rims-Suit-TS-Astra-/120616957193

xplosv57
4th September 2010, 08:50 PM
toyo 888, Bridgestone Potenza Re55, Kuhmo Ku36 and i'm sure there are others.

only thing is they are recommend on a 7.5" wide rim.

other option is move to 17's which will give you a better choice of tyres to suit.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Factory-Rims-Suit-TS-Astra-/120616957193

KU36 are only avail in 215/45 and 225/50 (and 265) for the 16inch wheel, and R888s/RE55s are too expensive

very much contemplating 17s to be honest, might have to search for some cheap G SRi-T rims...

guy 27
4th September 2010, 08:55 PM
my bad on the kuhmo, was looking at 17's for them.

that link is for sri-t wheels afaik.

xplosv57
4th September 2010, 08:58 PM
my bad on the kuhmo, was looking at 17's for them.

that link is for sri-t wheels afaik.

sorry didn't open the link, good find!!

but i might call up before then and go for the 215/45 r16 KU36s, they are very cheap and haven't heard any bad reviews.

i mean they don't compare to the Toyos or Yokis or anything but they have to be better than the 18in Hankooks i went round the track with last time, plus my car isn't exactly 'quick'!!

cheers for the help Guy!!

poita
4th September 2010, 08:59 PM
just buy those wheels anyway, whats it going to hurt to have another set :lol:

guy 27
4th September 2010, 09:02 PM
No issues steve, send that seller a message and make him an offer. they have already been listed and didn't get any bids. he might let them go for a bargin and adam can bring them for you on his way back. :lol:

i am tempted to but got need to spend money on other things at the moment.

xplosv57
4th September 2010, 09:05 PM

haha piss off idiot, have to get around to selling the AH 16s i got, and to be honest have been considering selling the SRi-T 18s too once they get repaired....

No issues steve, send that seller a message and make him an offer. they have already been listed and didn't get any bids. he might let them go for a bargin and adam can bring them for you on his way back. :lol:

haha not a bad plan actually, might do that, cheers!!

xplosv57
24th September 2010, 05:42 PM
sorry to revive this thread again.......

but have found a set of used semi slicks (only used twice according to the ad)

the only issue i have with this set is, they are at least 4 years old, are there any issues with using aged semi slicks????

scaifeys2.2mk4
24th September 2010, 06:12 PM
as long as they have been cared for since they were used they should still be fine,
the thing is that even "off" semis will be faster around a track than most performance tires

xplosv57
24th September 2010, 06:31 PM
according to the description they have been stored in a dry, cool area and were only used twice on a lightweight car twice (60% tread left)...

poita
24th September 2010, 06:43 PM
they will most likely be hard as a rock

hope you enjoy ice skating......

Nurb608
24th September 2010, 06:55 PM
they will most likely be hard as a rock

hope you enjoy ice skating......

Will you just piss off!!!! lol

But yes, after that long i wouldn't drive on them

gman
24th September 2010, 06:59 PM
After 4 years, I would pass. You can use a softener on them (Grip from Revolution Racegear is good) but its a hassle and it stinks too. After four years there's no guarantee as to condition.

xplosv57
24th September 2010, 07:58 PM
ok so a no go zone then?

was reading up about them (bridgestone potenza re540s) and it says they were phased out around 2006 but ill contact the seller and see the actual age!

xplosv57
27th September 2010, 01:32 PM
ok found out the tyres were manufactured 2001, but were stored and never used till 2008, and since has again been stored in a cool, dark place.....

its very tempting for the price, but can they go hard even if they have been properly stored??

gman
27th September 2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah they can...Rubber ages like anything else, but if they have been stored properly, they just age slower.

In the end, they are still 9 or 10 year old tyres. Are you picking up or having them shipped??

If picking up, then maybe agree to take them on the proviso of an inspection on pick up. Test how soft they are (in the absence of durometer, use the fingernail test), no cracks etc etc.

Just a thought. ;)

xplosv57
27th September 2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah they can...Rubber ages like anything else, but if they have been stored properly, they just age slower.

In the end, they are still 9 or 10 year old tyres. Are you picking up or having them shipped??

If picking up, then maybe agree to take them on the proviso of an inspection on pick up. Test how soft they are (in the absence of durometer, use the fingernail test), no cracks etc etc.

Just a thought. ;)

Yeah theyre pick up only in Vic, ill contact the guy and see if i can have a look at them before purchasing, although the auction ends in 2 days...