PDA

View Full Version : NEW Updated FMIC - Teaser thread

auzvectra
8th April 2010, 05:18 PM
just a quick look at the new kit, a cpl of small changes still to be made, but nothing major. kit will be released officially in a few weeks.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7821/dsc03017s.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/dsc03017s.jpg/)
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/849/dsc03019s.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/dsc03019s.jpg/)

and here's a comparison from the stock cooler to one supplied in the kit :).

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/9523/dsc03014s.jpg (http://img576.imageshack.us/i/dsc03014s.jpg/)

03srit
8th April 2010, 05:20 PM
Wow.. Looks good.. So is the top hat included? And does the fan needs to be changed?

Nurb608
8th April 2010, 05:32 PM
Looks really good Matt ;) What size piping did you end up going for in the end?

CNBLU
8th April 2010, 05:40 PM
Will that work if you have a strut brace?

auzvectra
8th April 2010, 06:21 PM
Wow.. Looks good.. So is the top hat included? And does the fan needs to be changed?

yeh top hat is included. the same thermofan bracket is included as the old kit, but is black so it blends in.

Looks really good Matt ;) What size piping did you end up going for in the end?

the same 2" as previous, but is a thinner wall for more flow, and the tophat is 2 1/4".

Will that work if you have a strut brace?

i'm sure that will depend on the brand and where it goes as to the tophat, the tophat is only slightly higher then the stock 1, but is 1 of the things i would like to change. would prefer it to be about 10-20mm lower, the later being lower then the stock.

auzvectra
8th April 2010, 06:22 PM
oh, and i'm looking at different t bolts too, so they have a bolt, not a nut to tighten them. gets rid of the long thread on top.

Keep'emRunning
8th April 2010, 08:20 PM
I'm using the same fmic as well with 2.25 ID all the way (just needed to move the battery tray back 5mm to avoid it touching) & needed 2 less reducers this way.

Really amazed you squeezed that in there and still got the lower grille on.. nooice.

auzvectra
8th April 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm using the same fmic as well with 2.25 ID all the way (just needed to move the battery tray back 5mm to avoid it touching) & needed 2 less reducers this way.

Really amazed you squeezed that in there and still got the lower grille on.. nooice.

yeh bigger pipes can be done, but i need to keep the kit to an easy install level, adding too many mods will detur ppl :).

there was a lot of fiddleing on the 1st kit to see how we could do it.

[OPCSRi]
8th April 2010, 09:07 PM
Very interested in a kit Matt. I was just about to buy one from the UK until i seen yours. Keep me posted. Also a tune as well.

auzvectra
8th April 2010, 09:53 PM
;560206']Very interested in a kit Matt. I was just about to buy one from the UK until i seen yours. Keep me posted. Also a tune as well.

will do, the kit will be finished in the next wk or 2 when the extra bits arrive. i now have a spare module so sending the spare around aus doesnt worry me so much :).

[OPCSRi]
9th April 2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks Matt.

boorny88
13th April 2010, 04:17 PM
any more news matt?

auzvectra
13th April 2010, 05:24 PM
extra pipes needed have arrived today, so will be installed at the donor cars next convenience. then the kit will be officially released.

checked it out for the vert also, there is ridiculously no room in there, but we're gonna try anyway :D.
waiting on that donor car to be ready, and then will be able to work out the kit for it aswell :).

boorny88
13th April 2010, 05:33 PM
thats wikid you worked out how to lower the tophat a bit?

auzvectra
13th April 2010, 06:29 PM
thats wikid you worked out how to lower the tophat a bit?

dont "need" to, but know how to. as said earlier, it's only slightly higher then the stock 1 (bout 10mm i think it was).

auzvectra
17th April 2010, 02:48 PM
kit has now been finalised. pics will be up later of the fully installed kit. but basically looks the same as the pics above.
the tophat in this kit is 10-15mm higher then the stock, but doesnt look as though it would interfere with a strut brace anymore then the stock 1.
when the kit is released, i will be lowering the tophat slightly anyway.

Wraith
18th April 2010, 09:25 AM
extra pipes needed have arrived today, so will be installed at the donor cars next convenience. then the kit will be officially released.

checked it out for the vert also, there is ridiculously no room in there, but we're gonna try anyway :D.
waiting on that donor car to be ready, and then will be able to work out the kit for it aswell :).

Good work Matt I too am interested as I was the last time you did this, it's another finishing touch I'm looking at giving to my vert...glad to hear there's alot less 'fidling' this time around with your new kit :)

Am waiting to see the finished result as I'm wanting to know if some of the factory items can be retained with your kit, eg: the stock top hat and top feed pipe, even if that would require another different pipe/bend to adapt, I could do that myself...

As to your comment above re: the verts, arn't they exactly the same as the other TS variants in the engine bay ?? the only difference would be behind the front bar as that's the only different part...if that's what your talking about - apologies, no probs for me though as mines got the turbo hatch front bar :)

Again good work :thumbs:

auzvectra
18th April 2010, 10:10 AM
Good work Matt I too am interested as I was the last time you did this, it's another finishing touch I'm looking at giving to my vert...glad to hear there's alot less 'fidling' this time around with your new kit :)

Am waiting to see the finished result as I'm wanting to know if some of the factory items can be retained with your kit, eg: the stock top hat and top feed pipe, even if that would require another different pipe/bend to adapt, I could do that myself...

As to your comment above re: the verts, arn't they exactly the same as the other TS variants in the engine bay ?? the only difference would be behind the front bar as that's the only different part...if that's what your talking about - apologies, no probs for me though as mines got the turbo hatch front bar :)

Again good work :thumbs:

yeh thats right, not enough room behind the bar for the same size cooler, so yeh u would be able to use the normal kit :).

so you want to keep the stock tophat and power pipe? that could be done pretty easy, but you would need to trim the power pipe section back slightly on the stock cooler end, as it needs to cut down the engine side of the rad.

for those of you with verts, we will also be releasing a modified sri-t kit to suit the vert/sedan astra, aswell as the rest of the ts astra's :D.
so with this kit you could use the normal kit also.

[OPCSRi]
18th April 2010, 07:29 PM
Can't wait Matty.

Shay
19th April 2010, 01:19 AM
any vectras near you to test a possible vectra variant?

DIXIE
19th April 2010, 01:24 AM
are there any power gains to be had by fitting the tophat?

auzvectra
19th April 2010, 06:48 AM
the tophat is more free flowing, but i think it's more of a looks thing :).

shay, dont think so. may have to go looking for 1 but, hahaha.

Keep'emRunning
19th April 2010, 07:46 AM
def more of a looks thing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNR294fXVU

Wraith
19th April 2010, 12:42 PM
yeh thats right, not enough room behind the bar for the same size cooler, so yeh u would be able to use the normal kit :).

so you want to keep the stock tophat and power pipe? that could be done pretty easy, but you would need to trim the power pipe section back slightly on the stock cooler end, as it needs to cut down the engine side of the rad.

for those of you with verts, we will also be releasing a modified sri-t kit to suit the vert/sedan astra, aswell as the rest of the ts astra's :D.
so with this kit you could use the normal kit also.

Thanks Matt, sounds all good :)

Don't think you'll have to bother including TS sedans on your list though, unless someones done a custom turbo conversion...:)

auzvectra
19th April 2010, 04:16 PM
Thanks Matt, sounds all good :)

Don't think you'll have to bother including TS sedans on your list though, unless someones done a custom turbo conversion...:)

more meant just as a bodykit ;). and as the verts and sedans share the same ass.

boorny88
20th April 2010, 11:32 AM
whats the grand sum of this great looking kit matt

auzvectra
20th April 2010, 11:43 AM
whats the grand sum of this great looking kit matt

$1200 plus postage/fitting.
$200 inhouse fitting for OA members, otherwise allow ~ 3-6hrs install for your average workshop, maybe a lil more for the home job depending on tools and experience.
$50 postage within australia

auzvectra
20th April 2010, 11:44 AM
and 2 experienced ppl with the right tools, can install this in 1 1/2hrs :).

boorny88
20th April 2010, 11:48 AM
well i have 3 tool boxs at home 3 drills 2 sets of drill bits im a qualified diesel mechanic and probs brent or shay is that enough experience and tools?

so wats it with out fitting and just for the product and postage?

auzvectra
20th April 2010, 12:24 PM
$1250 supply and posted to a destination inside australia.
soz, maybe i didnt put the other post clearly :).

Wraith
20th April 2010, 12:30 PM
$1250 supply and posted to a destination inside australia.
soz, maybe i didnt put the other post clearly :).

Price enquiry for me Matt, since as mentioned previously I'll like to retain the stock top hat and power pipe, what's the kit cost excluding those bits ?

TIA. :)

boorny88
20th April 2010, 12:32 PM
ok mate i understand clearly thanks matt

auzvectra
20th April 2010, 01:20 PM
Price enquiry for me Matt, since as mentioned previously I'll like to retain the stock top hat and power pipe, what's the kit cost excluding those bits ?

TIA. :)

pm sent :).

Wraith
20th April 2010, 09:31 PM
pm sent :).

Cheers Matt. :)