PDA

View Full Version : max hp for fwd

guy 27
7th April 2010, 07:40 PM
As some of you know I will be going down the s/c route for my car soon. (400+hp build)

Ideally I want big power but after seeing a few videos of cars with lots of power at the front wheels getting bad reviews compared to lesser powered cars with a rwd or awd setup.

I am starting to think how much is too much? 300? 400?

The car will be fitted with an lsd but is it going to be pointless if I go over the 400hp mark for a car that will still be used as a daily driver?

adam_92
7th April 2010, 08:02 PM
i dont know how far you wanna go or how much you wanna spend but iv seen a corsa that had the engine in the rear and was converted to rear wheel drive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-kjBuEnUrc

gmonkey
7th April 2010, 08:06 PM
ask Mr Corsa

sure its not his daily but he seems to get that power to the ground easy enough and its atleast double what your looking at :p

oh expect massive fuel bills aswell

guy 27
7th April 2010, 08:12 PM
i dont know how far you wanna go or how much you wanna spend but iv seen a corsa that had the engine in the rear and was converted to rear wheel drive

Want to keep it fwd for the time being. If I wanted it to be rwd I would start off with a different car.

ask Mr Corsa

sure its not his daily but he seems to get that power to the ground easy enough and its atleast double what your looking at :p

oh expect massive fuel bills aswell

forgot about him, will shoot him a message. cheers.

also running costs are never an issue so i am not worried about it.

glider
7th April 2010, 08:50 PM
will depend on two things, how you launch, and your tollerance to torque steer

guy 27
7th April 2010, 09:00 PM

I rarely launch it hard and my clutch is proof of that. (over 200k km and only 50% wear) and torque steer can already be an issue. surprisingly there is more in 2nd gear than 1st.

Vectracious
7th April 2010, 09:17 PM
Didn't Saab used to say you shouldn't put more than 180bhp through the front wheels??? Then they built the 9-3 Viggen.

gman
7th April 2010, 09:38 PM
350 to 450hp for a daily driven FWD.....Seems to be the range...Then again, if you can get a true 350/400hp then it will be a animal...

CNBLU
7th April 2010, 11:51 PM
A good aftermarket traction control unit along with LSD, slick tyres and stiff suspension setup will get you traction well above 400hp

guy 27
8th April 2010, 12:13 AM
A good aftermarket traction control unit along with LSD, slick tyres and stiff suspension setup will get you traction well above 400hp

As far as i will go with that would be semi slick tyres and LSD. being a daily driver a stiffer suspension will be hell on my back, and tc unit may be something to look into.

OPC
8th April 2010, 01:55 AM
i take it s/c stands for supercharger ?

that would be interesting... i dont think ive seen anyone do the 2.2 supercharger kit here yet

i know gozoff was gunna do it at one stage and didnt hear anything after that

how much is it gunna cost to get it from the states to here ?

and is the quaife suited to the 2.2 box ?

ChrisMaz
8th April 2010, 04:04 AM
For the Veccy C this video sums up EVERYTHING

Awesome, yet flawed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgzsBj1VQZg

Wraith
8th April 2010, 07:02 AM
As some of you know I will be going down the s/c route for my car soon. (400+hp build)

Ideally I want big power but after seeing a few videos of cars with lots of power at the front wheels getting bad reviews compared to lesser powered cars with a rwd or awd setup.

I am starting to think how much is too much? 300? 400?

The car will be fitted with an lsd but is it going to be pointless if I go over the 400hp mark for a car that will still be used as a daily driver?

When it comes to a question like the above, there's no such thing as too much power...

It all comes down to you in the end ! what do you want to end up with ?? what can you afford to do or how far can you afford to go ?? what can or can't you live with, ie. what's the cars' final role ?? etc. etc. etc.

Answer all of those questions for yourself, as only you know what you really want and intend on doing and then build your project up from that...

All the best of luck with it :)

guy 27
8th April 2010, 09:36 AM
i
that would be interesting... i dont think ive seen anyone do the 2.2 supercharger kit here yet

i know gozoff was gunna do it at one stage and didnt hear anything after that

how much is it gunna cost to get it from the states to here ?

and is the quaife suited to the 2.2 box ?

the 2.2 runs the same gb as the sri-t with just a different bell housing so the LSD is no problem

No one in aus afaik has done the s/c conversion but there are over 100 cars in the uk running with it although most are the lesser powered versions (250hp)

So far I have costed all parts not including ecu and tuning out to $4k with myself doing all the labour

CNBLU
8th April 2010, 10:46 AM
Is that price including engine rebuild?

gmonkey
8th April 2010, 10:49 AM
U already own the s/c anyway aswell don't ya?

CNBLU
8th April 2010, 11:17 AM

Torque steer can be eliminated by having equal length driveshafts

glider
8th April 2010, 11:23 AM
Torque steer can be eliminated by having equal length driveshafts

which is nigh on impossible with gearbox being mounted on the left hand side of the car tho?

CNBLU
8th April 2010, 11:29 AM
Nothing is impossible mate

guy 27
8th April 2010, 01:08 PM
Is that price including engine rebuild?

I am doing the full rebuild so no labour charges involved at all. except maybe getting some parts teflon coated (something i am also looking in to)

U already own the s/c anyway aswell don't ya?

not one that is suitable for this application.

glider
8th April 2010, 09:07 PM
Nothing is impossible mate

ok, hows about we mount front left wheel a meter further out so driveshafts are equal? with a FWD transverse setup, you cannot get equal length driveshafts (unless you somehow manage to mount the gearbox dead center, but there is kinda an engine in the way..) ford/mazda tried to correct this with suspension mods (revoknuckle) and even their attempt has not worked.

OT:

intersted in seeing the results guy, might look back into this one day

CNBLU
8th April 2010, 09:45 PM
Do you want to bet me that you can get equal length driveshafts for a FWD car? lol

glider
8th April 2010, 09:49 PM
if you can give me an example I'll eat my words... longer intermediate shaft will not eliminate torque steer tho...

gman
8th April 2010, 10:11 PM
Try using a Quaife XTrac gearbox...Only $12,000 but you have equal length driveshafts, sequential shifts and LSD..... ;)

CNBLU
8th April 2010, 10:16 PM
Glen beat me to it. But i wont get you to eat anything.

You can also get custom driveshafts made.

glider
8th April 2010, 10:18 PM
so you're suggesting modifiying the intermediate shaft to accomdate equal length driveshafts? I guess you'd still have to do this with the quaiffe gearbox (there is not much room for it to be much more than the same dimension of the OE gearbox)

have you got any info on this gearbox glen? cant find any

gman
9th April 2010, 12:26 PM
have you got any info on this gearbox glen? cant find any

Quaife used to have them on their website, however as they are re-building it they're not on there...I'll see if I have anything at home...I did have (only for interests sake...)

xplosv57
9th April 2010, 12:53 PM
how much power was your last s/c motor making??

guy 27
9th April 2010, 04:25 PM
how much power was your last s/c motor making??

never had a supercharged motor before.

boorny88
9th April 2010, 04:50 PM
what charger are you getting

guy 27
9th April 2010, 06:10 PM
Will be running a Harrop Htv with a 90mm pulley to start off with. Once the engine has been run in I will go down to a 80 or 70mm pulley for the extra power.

Jerram
9th April 2010, 06:13 PM
a reasonably noob question but how come top gear stated that the max hp a fwd should go is around 220-240atw?

guy 27
9th April 2010, 06:18 PM
a reasonably noob question but how come top gear stated that the max hp a fwd should go is around 220-240atw?

Cause high powered cars are much more fun in a rwd or awd. :)

Main reason is you are asking too much from the front of the car. You are not only putting the power down but are also relying on it to steer. So there is a point where you go fast in a straight line and loose alot of the handling and thats it where it gets unsafe.
Thats pretty much the reason I have started this thread, so i can find out from others with similar cars what their experiences are.

blueraven
10th April 2010, 11:58 PM
i would say max 200kw at the wheels. any more that that and it would only count on the freeway.

Thats what my astra had, with a quaife diff and wide r-comp tyres it would still lose traction under full boost in first and second, and forget about accelerating through corners with that kind of power.

(....but it did do 100 - 180kph in less than 10 seconds in 4th :D )