PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts price shock....

Colonel Sanders
3rd February 2004, 01:44 AM
Hey everyone! fist time posting on here and already off to a great start....not.

It all started a couple of nites ago wen my rear driver side power window failed, i had the window down and the next second a loud THUD! the window wouldnt wind up anymore.

At first i thought it was just the window falling off the rail that holds it, but after i took it apart i realized it wasnt that simple. the motor and the vertical rail are all still fine, but a small clip broke and the steel cable jammed the part that moves the window up and down.

I rang a mate of mine whos an auto electricain and he got a quote from holden spare parts, the price?

$700.00+ for the whole assembly!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

All i want is the middle moving part and 2 wires, but they dont sell them apart, all or nothing.

Hopefully i can get a better price then that otherwise i have to start selling 1 of my kidneys, maybe both, maybe a liver and a heart... i can do without them. :(

Sorry for the long ass post just wanted to share it with everyone, does anyone know a cheap place to get spare parts?

Anonymous
3rd February 2004, 11:28 AM
Where are you located?

Dregger
3rd February 2004, 04:55 PM
the only thign i can suggest is calling EVERY wreaker within 100km of you...it woudl be worth driving that far ...and prob only pay $150-$200 for the whole set...or maybe the wreaker might sell you the parts that you need on their own for $50....start calling....calling...CALLING!!!

sijay
3rd February 2004, 05:38 PM
failing that - I need a new kidney?

Colonel Sanders
4th February 2004, 03:20 AM
Sydney north shore... im getting the unit rebuilt, didnt have much luck with wreckers. getting it rebuilt still isnt that cheap, but its less then half the price holdens asking.

looks like i can get away with just selling 1 kidney.... yay! :)

Anonymous
4th February 2004, 07:24 PM
You could try ASV Spares...they import most of theres rather than use locally sourced wrecked cars......they may help....on Woodville rd somewhere....worth a go if you havent got a reasonable solution.

Heres a better one for you all....a little off brand...Chrysler Voyager ppl mover....rear seat headrest...$1400!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes the rear seat headrest is $1400!

imad4u
4th February 2004, 09:08 PM
lol chrysler are a joke... 1400 bucks thats f**ked...

Colonel Sanders
6th February 2004, 01:27 AM
Another update for anyone interested, rang ASV and got told to ring GM parts plus, rang them but they didnt have it in stock, but would have cost $300.00 anyway, so not too bad after all.

ultim8DTM5
6th February 2004, 08:28 AM
Have you got that number for GM Parts Plus? I've got one or two things I need that aren't covered by warranty

Anonymous
6th February 2004, 06:23 PM
I picked up my replacement clock module after i stuffed it for only $50 from GM Plus...in Greenacre Sydney, considering the new one was $300 about i think, i was happy. I have used them for many years all the way back from my 1st car...a camira....another OPEL b4 anyone has a laf @ me!

imay
7th February 2004, 08:15 AM
Hey Ashley, no one should be laughing at you for having a Camira . . . I'm sure we have all made that (or a very similar) mistake before. I sure have. I must confess, I actually had TWO Camira's at one point in my life. At the time it was a cheap way of having 2 cars when we needed them.
I too feel shamed, but have moved on.
Ian

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 09:03 AM
Our family had a JB Camira SL/X... metallic poo brown.. and I also have a magazine in 1982 that shows the "engineering excellence" of the Camira when it first launched with the beam axle that acted like a semi independent suspension, the "radial tuned suspensions" and how it drove like a RWD until pushed to the limits.

Managed to cross thread the spark plugs and eventually just jammed it back in.. worked sweet until we just sold it to a dealer for $2500 back in '96 or something.

Anonymous
7th February 2004, 07:59 PM
Funny thing is that i believe the same family of engine is being sold in Daewoos now! So it is upgraded with EFI....but bet most of the rest is the same!
Got to say it was very reliable for a student of the time...only a blown head gasket and what can you expect for a $2500 car!

SmellyTofu
7th February 2004, 08:47 PM
I thought the Family II engine died in the mid 90's?? Does Holden still make those engines now???