PDA

View Full Version : Holden Car Warranty - effected by after market wheels ?

swifty
4th October 2004, 12:58 PM
Does your car warranty get affected - if you put on after market rims?
and how many of you, notify your insurance companies on the new wheels?

Thanks

Dee
4th October 2004, 01:03 PM
a lot of ppl have aftermarket wheels on their car... i doubt it would void the warranty unless they are illegal size or width...

insurance knows all about mine... they are legal afterall

swifty
4th October 2004, 01:09 PM
Hi 11-SXI

Thanks for that..
oh and did your premium go up, becuase of the new wheels?

Dee
4th October 2004, 01:11 PM
my insurance comapny is nice.. as long as i didnt spend over $2000 on them the premium stayed the same i was lucky enough to get my wheels at a very good price...

swifty
4th October 2004, 02:01 PM
If you are with CGU insurance,
you can only go up 1 size from the standard wheels.
Mine are 15's, Lucky that now the 04 model
comes out with 16inch wheels.

I can go up to 17 inch yeah!!,
no extra premium charges if your rims
cost under $1000.

Degen-Astra
4th October 2004, 02:26 PM
Most insurance companies will allow you to up it to the states maximum legal limit.
In VIC its 2 inches in diameter and 1 inch wider than your car is placarded for, (Yes I have checked with VICRoads). Obviously some insurance Co.'s dont allow for this.

AS for WARRANTY - a mate of ours here in Melbourne recently had the mag wheel on her car come off, ended up damaging the wheel hub and front skirt. It appears that the threading on the bolts when mounted back on the car had been crossthreaded and eventually it popped out. She took it back to Holden only to be told it wasnt under warranty because they were Aftermarket wheels. Mind you she bought the car 2nd hand off a Holden lot WITH the wheels on it at the time of sale.
READ - She didnt buy the wheels for the car, they were already on it.

Yet they still would not cover her for any damage caused by this.

Dee
4th October 2004, 02:32 PM
so that degen would be an insurance job... if they covered it.... :(

Degen-Astra
4th October 2004, 02:45 PM
Well most insurance companies will put the ownus on the person/company that was at fault. So I doubt she would be able to claim it on insurance. Although maybe the insurance company would go into bat for my mate placing the ownus on Holden as they sold it as is and do the servicing of the vehicle such as Wheel Alignments/balancing and it is there that the cross threading took place.

Maybe someone who works in insurance can give us a quick run down of what is most likely to happen in a scenario like this. *Looks in Dregger's direction*

Anonymous
4th October 2004, 03:23 PM
pfft warranty who needs it! i cant claim any warranty on my car do to sum small amount of mods that i have done!

ultim8DTM5
4th October 2004, 03:58 PM

cost under $1000.

I think you'll find that this isn't the case. You can only fit 17in wheels if your tyre placard on your car says that the maximum wheel size is 16in.

My money is on your placard saying 15in. The tyre placard is located inside the fuel filler flap from memory.

blackSRi
4th October 2004, 04:16 PM
On an Astra SRi they are 16" as placarded.

swifty
4th October 2004, 04:17 PM
I told CGG insurance that, I have an 02 model
which came standard with 15's.

But now the current Barina Sri has 16's which
is now considared standard for the Sri.

They told that I am fine to go up 1 inch larger
than the standard at this time for my model.

Which are 16's currently from the factory.

The 02 and 04 are the same structurally
but only differ superficially.

I'm sure my tyre placard says 15's aswell, but you can always
order a new sticker for it, saying 16's.

:D

dug74
4th October 2004, 04:42 PM

cost under $1000.

I think you'll find that this isn't the case. You can only fit 17in wheels if your tyre placard on your car says that the maximum wheel size is 16in.

My money is on your placard saying 15in. The tyre placard is located inside the fuel filler flap from memory.

Well my placard says 14 x 5.5 inch wheels...and i had dealer fitted 17's on mine...QLD trans rules are 2 inches bigger in diameter than the biggest factory rims for your car...and 1.5 inches wider.

The 04.5 can be fitted with 16's from the factory.. 16x 6 to be exact <SRi wheels> therefore i was able to put 17 x 7.5 on them..

There is no difference between my car and the 04 model...other than a despec of options and 14" steelies instead of 15" alloys.

blackSRi
4th October 2004, 04:56 PM
My fleet company in WA wouldn't allow me to fit 17" on my SRi as they would not be able to insure the vehicle (or that's what i was told), as the standard rims size on Astra was 15 - even though I had 16" fitted as standard.
It was all to do with Holden spec/WA rules/Insurer.

frankie9fingers
4th October 2004, 05:28 PM
If you get hassled by cops over the placard not having 17's even tho thats what's fitted, go to holden and get a placard from an Astra turbo.

NUTTTR
7th October 2004, 01:35 AM
If somehow holden "proves" that having larger wheels (regardless of whether the turbo comes with 17" brakes, etc are different on the turbo too) has somehow caused or PARTIALLY caused the problem you've bought the car in for, then they will void warranty or make you contribute part of it......... at the end of the day, if you lower your car and your cv boots split, they WILL say it's because it's lowered and out of stock travel, you'd have to cover it, unless you could prove to them that it has nothing to do with it....... it'd be different if you fitted 17's and then you had a problem with leaking oil.......... but if it's related and they can get out of it, they will!!!!