PDA

View Full Version : Second car (work use)

woody
31st March 2010, 04:05 PM
Hi all, wowl it's been a while since i've posted on here, anyway.. anyone running a barina/corsa GSI and have you got any advice about things to look out for (faults) or just general advice, i'm looking to pickup a cheap (but nippy) second car to use purely for commuting to work and am looking around at the available GSI's (no i don't want a new korean barina, nor do i wish to troll around an one of the 1.4's(especially not he autos' already had one of those and nearly commited hari kari waiting for it to hit 60!))

So if you have one and have any ideas about things to look out for (i know they run hot and that the cam belt tensioners should be changed before the time the manual states (they have been known to shatter)) but genreal stuff i should look out for when going to look at these cars.

Cheers

Woodsta

PrincessPeachey
31st March 2010, 10:07 PM
get an sri!

timing belts
water pump
the speedo, trying to fix one of those is a bloody nightmare as the gear will thread itself repeatedly..

adam_92
31st March 2010, 10:32 PM
get an sri!

+1 if u want a nippy car get a sri, too many problems with the gsi's imo

lithium
1st April 2010, 11:08 AM
yup +1 SRi
get one with the lowest KM/years you can afford as they start to fall apart when they get older

as well as the early tbelt change and water pump change, remember to have money and patience set aside to replace the:

ignition coil pack
ECU
gear linkage
EGR valve (if you get an early SRi)
cam sensor

and remember to clean the throttle body periodically too

if it's just a work hack have you considered something else like a Hyundai Getz? almost as quick in a straight line and around corners, and the maintenance costs are lower :yesnod:

Wraith
5th April 2010, 09:03 PM
Does it have to be a Barina/Corsa ???

Best cheap thing going out there to use as a 2nd car runabout or bashabout is an old Corolla IMHO...

'86-'89 or even slightly latter models are the best choice, I had an AE82 (1986 model) and it served me perfectly in this respect over a 6 year period...cost only 2.5k to buy, started with 233,000km on the clock and ended up with over 350,000km after those 6 years and never cost a single cent in running costs (I never once serviced it !!!) other than fuel and other 'normal' car consumables, and end up selling it for 500 bucks after all that !

JohnBu
6th April 2010, 09:41 AM
True, corollas are/were reliable, but a 20+ year old car has seen it's best days and you will most likely sustain terrible injuries in a crash compared to newer cars with active/passive safety features.

I wouldn't recommend any family members a 20+ year old unless they couldn't afford anything else.

guy 27
6th April 2010, 10:29 AM
what about an older volvo?
can pick em up cheap. They are easy to work on, parts can be sourced cheaply, very reliable and extremely safe.
Plus you can get them with a few luxuries suchs as electrics and leather.

PrincessPeachey
7th April 2010, 06:41 PM
what about an older volvo?
can pick em up cheap. They are easy to work on, parts can be sourced cheaply, very reliable and extremely safe.
Plus you can get them with a few luxuries suchs as electrics and leather.

because its a volvo....

guy 27
7th April 2010, 07:17 PM
because its a volvo....

had one as my first car, for a 1990 car it had more luxuries than the astra apart from heated seats, was more economical, cheaper on filters and fluids, safer than the astra and when i traded it in it had just under 700 000km on the clock with all original parts & components apart from shocks, tyres and brakes.

I will get another one someday as a run about but maybe the turbo model.

PrincessPeachey
9th April 2010, 05:52 PM
yeah, but who says "bloody astra driver"?