PDA

View Full Version : Mobile phone battery life

xplosv57
26th March 2010, 08:23 PM
hey all

got a Nokia N95, had it for almost 2 years now, when i first bought it i never did the stock standard 14 hour charge youre supposed to do when you first use it, i just charged it a bit and used it.

so from new, the battery life has been max 3 days if i dont use it, but usually lasts a day, 18 hours max!!

more recently, ive charged it overnight to full, used it for not even 6 hours (heavy use camera, internet etc) and the phone battery dies......

will buying a new battery and charging it properly fix the issue, or has the phone reached the end of its life??

hazrd
26th March 2010, 08:26 PM
i will say yes, but ONLY if you buy a genuine nokia battery

i bought a non genuine battery for my N95 when i had it, and it was worse!! thinking it was a dodgey battery i reported it to the ebay seller and he sent me a new one, still no go

Ice
26th March 2010, 08:27 PM
hey all

got a Nokia N95, had it for almost 2 years now, when i first bought it i never did the stock standard 14 hour charge youre supposed to do when you first use it, i just charged it a bit and used it.

so from new, the battery life has been max 3 days if i dont use it, but usually lasts a day, 18 hours max!!

more recently, ive charged it overnight to full, used it for not even 6 hours (heavy use camera, internet etc) and the phone battery dies......

will buying a new battery and charging it properly fix the issue, or has the phone reached the end of its life??

It'll be the battery mate.

Give it a good first charge this time ;)

hazrd
26th March 2010, 08:28 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GENUINE-ORIGINAL-NOKIA-BL-6F-battery-N78-N79-N95-8GB-AU_W0QQitemZ390166554418QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Mobi lePhoneAccessories?hash=item5ad7bd2732
^^^^ genuine battery

are u still in contract? the N85 is an awesome replacement for it if u still like the N95 (different shell, same software, faster processor)
just a thought

sooty
26th March 2010, 08:34 PM
Ok, so the worst thing you can do with a phone battery is OVER charge it, I'll try and keep this simple (I don't mean to sound belittling, it's just quite complex)
I assume the phone has a lithium ion battery, if not it'll prob be a NiCad which runs on a similar principle. Ok, so in a lithium ion battery you essentially have two reaction component. There's free lithium metal ions (Li+) and a matrix LiCuO4. now when the phone is in use, or discharging, the ions are moved from the free ion state into their respective little holes in the matrix. Think of the matrix like a pile of layers, there are copper oxide layers, then lithium ion layers and these alternate. When you discharge the phone so it's completely dead, all the free li+ have moved into the matrix layers.
Now as you charge your phone, you remove the Li+ from the matrix, and make it free Li+ again (this takes energy, thus using a Powerpoint). Now at fullcharge, there's still at least 30% of the lithium ions left in the matrix, these are used like tile spacers to keep the layers apart. Now when you overcharge, you end up removing all the Li+ from the layers, and with nothing there to support it, the layers collapse on themselves. With collapsed layers, the free ions have nowhere to go when you discharge/use the phone, so your battery life is diminished.
Basically, overcharging = bad! And most phones/chargers have the ability to stop the battery from overcharging.
Ok, so it's an in depth response, but it is the nerd section!

xplosv57
26th March 2010, 08:36 PM
ok, will definetely go genuine parts, never trusted non gen parts for mobile phones.......

as for contract, i think its almost over but other than the battery and sometimes freezing, the phone isn't too bad and will keep it provided the battery can last!!

searched the N85, its not bad but if it has the same N95 software, it wouldnt be an upgrade!!

spoke to a mate who had the same phone, his would last almost a week and thats making calls everyday so definetely must be the battery!!

xplosv57
26th March 2010, 08:38 PM
Ok, so the worst thing you can do with a phone battery is OVER charge it, I'll try and keep this simple (I don't mean to sound belittling, it's just quite complex)
I assume the phone has a lithium ion battery, if not it'll prob be a NiCad which runs on a similar principle. Ok, so in a lithium ion battery you essentially have two reaction component. There's free lithium metal ions (Li+) and a matrix LiCuO4. now when the phone is in use, or discharging, the ions are moved from the free ion state into their respective little holes in the matrix. Think of the matrix like a pile of layers, there are copper oxide layers, then lithium ion layers and these alternate. When you discharge the phone so it's completely dead, all the free li+ have moved into the matrix layers.
Now as you charge your phone, you remove the Li+ from the matrix, and make it free Li+ again (this takes energy, thus using a Powerpoint). Now at fullcharge, there's still at least 30% of the lithium ions left in the matrix, these are used like tile spacers to keep the layers apart. Now when you overcharge, you end up removing all the Li+ from the layers, and with nothing there to support it, the layers collapse on themselves. With collapsed layers, the free ions have nowhere to go when you discharge/use the phone, so your battery life is diminished.
Basically, overcharging = bad! And most phones/chargers have the ability to stop the battery from overcharging.
Ok, so it's an in depth response, but it is the nerd section!

i dont see how i could have overcharged the battery if i didnt charge it enough initially!!!

but will buy a new battery and charge it for the time specified by Nokia and go from there....

sooty
26th March 2010, 08:45 PM
i dont see how i could have overcharged the battery if i didnt charge it enough initially!!!

but will buy a new battery and charge it for the time specified by Nokia and go from there....
Yeah sorry, wasn't implying you had, kinda just got on a roll lol. And a lot of people just leave their phone on charge, so when anyone reads this thread in the future, they may find it useful.
With yours, the initial charge is essentially used to determine how many of the ions are able to move in and out etc, by not charging it fully to start, instead of only 30% remaining in the matrix, you've prob got 50% remaining in the matrix, so you've only got about 70% the movement you should, hence shortened battery life.

hazrd
26th March 2010, 08:47 PM
an overnight charge is usually ok... just make sure it comes off charge as soon as u wake up lol

xplosv57
26th March 2010, 08:48 PM
i just read that and keep thinking of keanu reeves lol

just read some reviews on the N85, sounds like its worse than the N95...........

hazrd
26th March 2010, 09:00 PM
i just read that and keep thinking of keanu reeves lol

just read some reviews on the N85, sounds like its worse than the N95...........

serious? i upgraded from the 95 to the 85 and i loved it, it was quicker, didnt feel like a brick, and it didnt take forever when i was loading a heap of fotos.....

xplosv57
26th March 2010, 09:09 PM
serious? i upgraded from the 95 to the 85 and i loved it, it was quicker, didnt feel like a brick, and it didnt take forever when i was loading a heap of fotos.....

ahh ok fair enough, just read a few reviews on the net, most were very negative, some had failed after only 1 month..........

will stick with the N95 till i find a decent phone to replace it with, still spewing i lost my sony ericsson k600i all those years ago, best phone ever!!

hazrd
26th March 2010, 09:21 PM
ahh ok fair enough, just read a few reviews on the net, most were very negative, some had failed after only 1 month..........

will stick with the N95 till i find a decent phone to replace it with, still spewing i lost my sony ericsson k600i all those years ago, best phone ever!!

i will admit now that i remember.... jen is on her 2nd N85 (hers failed after 4 months) and i had mine back to nokia about 4 times...

and the k600i was fkn cool... i had one too

Ice
27th March 2010, 09:38 AM
Ain ! English ! jeezus...

sooty
27th March 2010, 09:56 AM
Ain ! English ! jeezus...

I did my best to make it understandable! Lol

hazrd
27th March 2010, 09:56 AM
i understood it :l33t:

Vectracious