PDA

View Full Version : Perth storms

jastra
22nd March 2010, 08:51 PM
Well it has been interesting... How are everybodys cars??

Vectracious
22nd March 2010, 09:57 PM
Wow, looks like what we had a couple of weeks ago - hope everyone hasn't suffered too much damage to their cars/houses or themselves.. :(

jastra
22nd March 2010, 10:01 PM
The owner of the pizza shop near where I work looks like has been showered with golf balls on his brand new ve... My cars all gd but apparently my house is flooded... I haven't been home yet tho :s

kabel
22nd March 2010, 10:50 PM
All cars outside at our work are severely damaged.
Apparently Barbagello`s and Audi have been decimated.
Have damage to one VXR,font splitter split when she hit a large puddle.Car would not restart.

jastra
22nd March 2010, 11:42 PM
Where do u work??

kabel
23rd March 2010, 12:28 AM
Herdsman Business park,about one street away from The Audi Centre.....why dat ?

Shay
23rd March 2010, 12:43 AM
luckily no hail at my house even tho its sitting in the middle of the backyard unmovable.
driving the paj was... interesting, slippery tyres RWD. switched to 4x4 and made it more comfortable.
pulled a few people out of uni bogs, and moved some big tree branches.

regular hero :p
some epic puddles, up to the sideskirts.
dads car got a couple of dents, but over all, all good.

jastra
23rd March 2010, 01:02 AM
Herdsman Business park,about one street away from The Audi Centre.....why dat ?
just out of curiosity cuz u said all the cars got damaged where you work.

Shay: Yeh i thought abou your car out in the back yard, i saw ur fotos today when i was bored at uni :P surprised u didnt get anyway because it was shocking on the fwy where whitfords ave is, mind my house got pumelted by golf ball sized hail stones and at work which is about 7ks away they were only tiny, so glad i was at work and not at home cuz my cars outside when im home and i would be having to make a trip to the panelbeaters....

Shay
23rd March 2010, 01:09 AM
i talked my brother (who is on crutches with a broken leg) to go out in the pouring rain to put a quilt over the roof.
but yes very lucky. then again, im right over near wanneroo rd, so long way from the freeway.

kabel
23rd March 2010, 01:10 AM
just out of curiosity cuz u said all the cars got damaged where you work.

Shay: Yeh i thought abou your car out in the back yard, i saw ur fotos today when i was bored at uni :P surprised u didnt get anyway because it was shocking on the fwy where whitfords ave is, mind my house got pumelted by golf ball sized hail stones and at work which is about 7ks away they were only tiny, so glad i was at work and not at home cuz my cars outside when im home and i would be having to make a trip to the panelbeaters....
Unfortunately the missus car is at the panelbeaters,not much damage but it would not start, think she flattened the battery it would not turn over for me.
Just up for a new front splitter,lower grille and possibly bumber cracked as well.....could have been worse and it is undercover this evening.

Couple of people were uninsured at work,silly to have a older Lexus LS 400 and no cover !

jastra
23rd March 2010, 01:22 AM
true, i would hope chis' car is ok, that would be a pretty shitty bday present from above if its not... but obviously everyone elses car too...

gmonkey
No damage to myn or mandas, heard hail start falling ran outside and wedged mandas car into the garage amongst the junk and my car as quick as I could.

Brothers house got 4 broken windows and sisters got one sisters place is in a valley whole house flooded 1 foot deep literally throughout carpet being torn up and thrown out tonight... No damage at myn or my mums place thankfully. My place first day it was put on market for sale and this happens thankfully no damage hahaha

Shay
its silly being uninsured full stop.

ChrisMaz
23rd March 2010, 02:25 AM
Glad most of you got away with little to no damage.

Decided to walk to the traino/public transport it to uni today since it was a relatively nice day this morning. So the Veccy got left in the garage thank god.

Shay
23rd March 2010, 02:42 AM
alex says he got home just before it hit hard, so his car is fine. some of his work mates got really beat up.
and he said his sisters car has more dimples than a pimple faced teen. :lol:

ChrisMaz
23rd March 2010, 02:46 AM
Do you think I could go hammer a few golf balls on my bonnet and claim insurance? Gets rid of that rust spot nice and easy :p

Shay
23rd March 2010, 03:37 AM
i was thinking the same about that dent on the front of mine...
prob just be cheaper to get shoey2 to have a look at it.

ChrisMaz
23rd March 2010, 03:39 AM
And that reminds me that I also have a rear quarter panel dent and front bonnet dent.... Hmmm. Didn't realise shoey was a panel beater?

Shay
23rd March 2010, 03:41 AM
And that reminds me that I also have a rear quarter panel dent and front bonnet dent.... Hmmm. Didn't realise shoey was a panel beater?

paint and panel go hand in hand, he might not be able to do it, but he can prob help you get it done cheap (im talking bout craig shoey BTW)

ChrisMaz
23rd March 2010, 03:56 AM
Yeah yeah. Well if he has to you know strip paint etc to get the dent out. Fine with me. Shan can respray it colour matched practically spot on. Just takes 10 months to do it...

Shay
23rd March 2010, 04:05 AM
oh yeah, i heard my part is actually done.
im goin to lol if i dont like it and leave it chrome, or paint it black....

ChrisMaz
23rd March 2010, 04:13 AM
From what I saw early in the morning and half cut. It should look consistent with the B. As I was told. Heron (heroin) white is universal with all opels/holdens.

btm
23rd March 2010, 08:21 AM
saw footage on the news this morning. pretty insane!

hazrd
23rd March 2010, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZATbPdujWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3JOZwcnwhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnI642uPEpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElJa1yAvy5U

boorny88
23rd March 2010, 11:44 AM
my car was fine from the weather no damage and my car was in the weather all day lol

gmonkey
23rd March 2010, 11:47 AM
Cause ur an eastern suburbs boy lol. Perth airport got hammered all inbound flights were diverted and radio dropped out for 30min.

More storms are just rolling in now. So make sure everything is away and secured

boorny88
23rd March 2010, 12:16 PM
yeah well im near the airport and i was in wangarra for most the storm the power was out while at taekwondo that was fun haha

Snotty
23rd March 2010, 01:07 PM
what have all you other states been doing to piss off the gods, no problems here in nsw :)

Shay
23rd March 2010, 01:09 PM
welll we hadnt had rain in nearly 4 months, so i think we were long past due some...

gmonkey
23rd March 2010, 01:09 PM
Scarey to say if temp was about 10 degrees colder it would have pretty much snowed :p

boorny88
23rd March 2010, 01:12 PM
yeah it possible could have been if it was minus10 haha

jastra
23rd March 2010, 01:16 PM
Scarey to say if temp was about 10 degrees colder it would have pretty much snowed :p

That would have been cool :)

Shay
23rd March 2010, 01:27 PM
i dont know about you guys, but i thought it was pretty warm, even when it was raining and i was wet.

gmonkey
23rd March 2010, 01:31 PM
Our dew point came close hence y we got so much hail. Remembering that we were at 31degrees at 5 when it was hailing lol. The Cbs were ceiling supposably at 45000ft! That's almost height of the troposphere! You loose 3degreea per 1000feet in the dry anabliac rate till u get to dew point then it's 1.5per 1000feet. Our dew point was at 4000 roughly. So at the peak of the CBs it was roughly -42.5.... Cold enough?

boorny88
23rd March 2010, 01:33 PM
wow thats some handy facts hay

jastra
23rd March 2010, 01:38 PM
Good science lesson :p I was quite warm on the ground tho like shay said. I was surprised when I saw the hail at home cuz they were tiny in Mindarie. I saw a Hyundai lantra with a nice smash on the front and there wasn't one spot on the surface that wasn't dented.... If that were me I would have cried :p

gmonkey
23rd March 2010, 01:53 PM
Just had a corrolla come into work and it's screwed! Might aswell be a write off... 3cm dents all down it smashed headlights and windscreen. I'd estimate 100+ dents

boorny88
23rd March 2010, 01:58 PM
haha now thats funny

gmonkey
23rd March 2010, 02:02 PM
Anyone checked on Scotts calibra??

jastra
23rd March 2010, 02:08 PM
haha now thats funny

Would it be funny if it were your car :p my mate just posted on face book "everything in my house is un damaged except for my car which isn't insured...."

gmonkey
23rd March 2010, 02:21 PM
How can ppl have no insurance on a car I just don't get it...unless it's a bomb and it's only got 3rd party

Shay
23rd March 2010, 02:25 PM
How can ppl have no insurance on a car I just don't get it...unless it's a bomb and it's only got 3rd party

my thoughts exactly.

scottys would prob be fine, ill msg him now, gotta remember hes a long way east.

jastra
23rd March 2010, 02:34 PM
It is an old Toyota sprinter but still no insurance = stupid

kabel
23rd March 2010, 09:48 PM
The light of day showed a lot of sins !
Some massive damage on staff cars at our work which were outside yesterday.
Just followed an ex-new Mazda 3 down the freeway....said to my girlfriend now do you understand what I was concerned about.

jastra
23rd March 2010, 09:56 PM
saw a kia carnival and the whole side of the car looked like a golf bal.... sooo bad

kabel
24th March 2010, 10:31 PM
Looks like the car has suffered hydraulic seizure due to water getting in via the induction system.

HSV will let me know later tomorrow but it looks like an engine rebuild.

gmonkey
24th March 2010, 10:36 PM
far out!!!

jastra
24th March 2010, 10:56 PM
Geeezzzz that's bad :s

Shay
24th March 2010, 11:04 PM
OH SHIT, sorry to here it kim..
suprised water got all the way through.

i know one of my mates got water through, thought he was looking at a re-build, ended up just that the MAF got stuffed by the water

kabel
24th March 2010, 11:40 PM
OH SHIT, sorry to here it kim..
suprised water got all the way through.

i know one of my mates got water through, thought he was looking at a re-build, ended up just that the MAF got stuffed by the water

Fingers crossed then,he just prepared me for the worst.
At least there is no real panel damage.

Some peoples cars look like they have been in a battlezone !

Shay
24th March 2010, 11:46 PM
that was on a subaru tho, but yeah, hope its something small and simple.
what are the symptoms or does it just not start.

kabel
25th March 2010, 12:03 AM
Turn the key.....clunk,clunk nothing.She had discharged the battery a fair bit befire I got there,but she told me it stopped after the puddle and would not restart.
Sounded to me like starter motor not engaging properly,wondering if wiring had become loose.

Thanks for the concern though,will keep you updated.

God it is a pain dealing with insurance companies though.
I have had to get the car towed three times since Monday.The panelsop where it currently is at said they cannot do anything until the mechanica repairs are sorted.

Will be leaving it with City HSV and their panelshop after tomorrow though.

gmonkey
25th March 2010, 03:24 AM
Just get a carbon fibre diffuser on insurance from hsv :p

ChrisMaz
25th March 2010, 03:45 AM
What!?!

nigelh
25th March 2010, 12:37 PM
Kim it sounds to me like a hydraulic seizure. I think the insurance company would just pay for a new engine ( if Holden has one) rather than a rebuild.

gmonkey
25th March 2010, 12:45 PM
Lucky in a way then brand new hsv vxr then pretty much ;)

Shay
25th March 2010, 12:49 PM
Kim it sounds to me like a hydraulic seizure. I think the insurance company would just pay for a new engine ( if Holden has one) rather than a rebuild.

ask to keep the onld one if they replace it :P
id be willing to rebuild it to get 177kw atf

mania
25th March 2010, 01:56 PM
Looks like the car has suffered hydraulic seizure due to water getting in via the induction system.

HSV will let me know later tomorrow but it looks like an engine rebuild.

Hard to imagine that - the intake on these cars is so high up. Best of luck with insurance.

Driving around Balcatta is a sorry site.. barely a workers car here without damage. Workmate even had a hail stone go straight through his windscreen.. good time to be a dent puller I imagine.

gmonkey
25th March 2010, 03:05 PM
I officially saw today at work where a hailstone peirced the metal! It's basically a tear hole in their boot but fuk!!

jastra
25th March 2010, 03:36 PM
My mates combi van got a hole in the roof just found out today I was like holy shit lol

kabel
25th March 2010, 09:35 PM

City HSV said it sounded like hydraulic seizure.I only saw the car on Monday night when I picked her up,she told me there was no hail damage.....HSV called me late today to say otherwise,so looks like a fair bit of panel damage,going to go there tomorrow to take a look for myself.
Nigel does hydraulic seizure cause damage to all components in the engine ?
Shay I will ask once I know what is happening.
gmonkey I guess you are right....new engine,car repainted = New VXR....not what I wanted though.But at least Arden Blue was safe in the garage.

Quite a few people at work have had their cars written off already by the insurance companies,anything with bad roof damage has been deemed to difficult to repair at present.

I had a new work car that was due to be delivered this week(got a promotion about a month back).....could be another 3-5 weeks now !

nigelh
26th March 2010, 10:37 AM
It doesn't damage all engine componts but it can cause alot of damage to things like pistons, rods & even cylinder liners & head. I can't see a place like city hsv taking the risk of rebuilding the engine if they can get a new one. I know I wouldn't anyway.

mania
27th March 2010, 08:19 PM
I hope the hail damage isn't too bad. Be sad to hear it written off before seeing it on its first cruise :(.

kabel
27th March 2010, 10:57 PM
Still waiting to hear Alex,figured there was no point in hassling them on Friday.
The bodywork did not look all that bad to me on Monday night when I picked her up.

Will keep you updated !

kabel
29th March 2010, 10:59 PM
Word back from HSV is "No compression".
Full strip down and investigation of internal parts including sending the turbo and intercooler away for testing.
Bascially I will not know anything for a couple of weeks .

Including the hail damage it is not looking good for Red VXR

kabel
7th May 2010, 10:20 PM
Another week gone and still no answers.
Insurance told me that qotes were approved so I phoned HSV who told they had not finished quoting for the engine rebuild.
So far the tally is $10,500 and they are still waiting for quotes on a new turbo and intercooler.
Surely it would be more effective to source a new engine !

Shay
7th May 2010, 10:27 PM
so has it been decided that its gettin fixed.
or is it still all up in the air?

kabel
7th May 2010, 10:39 PM
It`s all still up in air.
Insurance assessor apparently wants a worse case amount for the engine rebuild before approving anything.
Panel & paint came to about $7500 add $10000 + for the rebuild and things are not looking that great.

Basically I have had one story from the telephone operator at Shannon`s and then the truth from HSV but either I still have no real idea as to what is happening.