PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Astra TS SRi Turbo...

Taffy
14th March 2010, 06:55 PM
So basically I won't qualify for a car loan until my residency comes through in late 2011...but I'm getting sick/bored of driving a Barina SRi at my age, as nice as it is!

Was thinking of getting a TS SRi Turbo, but for my budget ($12,000 - $13,000) I'd be looking at a '03 or '04 with probably over 100,000kms...Was wondering what sort of problems to look out for when buying? I don't have a clue about Turbo cars - Do they start getting major problems once they get to this kind of age? The ones on Carsales at the mo look pretty tidy :smile5:

The alternative is to just hang on and get a VXR once I've sorted out my PR.

Basically any opinions on the SRi Turbo are welcome.

auzvectra
14th March 2010, 07:13 PM
no real issues, just the usual check timing belt has been done. and will need to at 120K again.
no blue smoke on start up, a lil is normal. no oil in coolant ect...

chrissn89
14th March 2010, 07:19 PM
Pretty much just the normal things as a good service history with regular oil and filter changes every 5,000 / 7,500km (more so if not stock). Coolant overflow bottle/tank that there is no cracks in it. No white smoke on cold start up or smoke under load/boost. Clutch feels good and no slipping. Leather is in good condition. No major oil leaks or gasket problems. The water pump and timing belt changed every 60,000km.

Remember turbos dont last for ever and the higher the kms the more worn out it will be. The stock turbo will be getting pretty shaggy at 140,000km+ (more so if re-mapped/upped boost levels)

CNBLU
15th March 2010, 03:22 PM
With all that said just remember its not a new car and you will have some minor problems