PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Calibra

Lopel
1st October 2004, 10:17 PM
Guys i have a mate who is interested in buying a calli which he wants to do up....
blueraven you might be able to help me out since you own a cali...
For starters my mate is looking at a 92 cali N/T manual going for 9500 is this a fairly res price for this year which has done 155thou on da clock..
there is a few minor hicups with the car which is apprentley gettin fixed
can you tell me if you have had many probs with your car and the in's and out's with em....

Thanks for your help
Lopel

opel_calibra
1st October 2004, 11:55 PM
lopel just tell him to come over to the calibra club forum and theres loads of info there

www.holden-calibra.org/bbs

blueraven
2nd October 2004, 09:03 PM
yeh, send him over, but tell him to check a few things like:

-when the timing belt was last done(and maintenance history etc)
-check the coolant tank, if it got any sludge whatsoever in it, that will cost you a grand to fix.
-check the steering, most seem to pull very slightly to the left after a while, if it pulls alot, that will cost you a grand to fix also
-check things like aircon, should be absolutely freezing.

but yeah they are generally just like any car, if in doubt, get it rac checked.

but for that price, it would have to be pretty mint, especially with those kms (not that high, but not that low either.)

Mr Cali
3rd October 2004, 10:14 AM
$9500 is a little high, he should be able to get a 94 onwards model for that price. They were revised late 93 so you get a few extras buying a later model.

Couple of extra things to look for.

1. Oil leaks, especially around the oil sump and rocker cover.

2. radiator fluid should look clean and green

3. When turning the key to the accessories, check that all red lights are working, some times people take out the globes to hide a faults.

4. Learn how to do the paper clip test to diagnose the fault codes on the car. This will let you know if the car has recorded anything wrong and will aslo show the seller that you know what you are doing and what to look for, always good for bargaining.
Here's the guide http://www.topbuzz1.carenthusiasts.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

5. Engageing reverse, if it crunches usually means the clutch is on it's way out.

6. Wet front passenger footwell or discolouring of carpet like water damage. Means that the heater matrix is leaking.

7. Look at the gear stick when accelerating hard, if it has excessive movement then the engine mounts are probably gone.

Anonymous
3rd October 2004, 10:17 AM
well mr cali you sure do know your calibra :) Lopel listen to this man he knows what he is talking about! lol

Lopel
3rd October 2004, 06:46 PM
cheers for that guys..

will keep those things in mind..had a look at it the other day not worth 9500..paint job is a bit shaby..few dings and dents...interior wasnt to bad except for the roof lining...was pulling to the left majorly..it wasnt idling the best...

Mr cali that paper clip test can that also be done to a corsa cause im havin a few probs with me car at the moment...

thanks again for your input guys

blueraven
4th October 2004, 12:09 AM
yeah that one does sound like a well looked after cally....

wherabouts are you? i am sure one of the calibraclub members will show what a good one looks and drives like.

if your in perf.. i will show you a pretty damn good example ;)

R3N
4th October 2004, 01:46 AM
if your in perf.. i will show you a pretty damn good example

dood, lopel was with us on our cruise :lol:

blueraven
5th October 2004, 08:31 PM
ok :P :lol:

well if you need a hand when you go look at one :P

Mr Cali
6th October 2004, 09:44 AM
Mr cali that paper clip test can that also be done to a corsa cause im havin a few probs with me car at the moment...

It sure can if you scroll down a little on the link that I provided you'll see a list of codes for all Corsa's , Astra's etc.

Rhino
6th October 2004, 10:41 AM
well mr cali you sure do know your calibra :) Lopel listen to this man he knows what he is talking about! lol
I'd be concerned about all the bad things that you have to look out for :shock:

Brett, where is this cali your mate was looking at? I've seen one in someone's driveway for sale in Bedford. I'll check the prices and see if there's a phone number and get back to you.

If you're in Pef... lol
You tool! If you actually stuck around you would have met a few ppl ;)

blueraven
6th October 2004, 07:42 PM
women mate... need i say more ;)

both graeme and i got booty calls so we had to leave. you know how it is :oops:

Rhino
7th October 2004, 09:43 AM
I understand that mate. But I'm not going to stop using it against you...

I've newly acquired a female companion so I may not be talking so tough soon. That said, she likes cars and speed... this could all be just peachy :)

Lopel
7th October 2004, 09:44 AM
Rhino

the one that we were looking was in greenwood..that one turned out to be a no goer..
that would be gud if you could check that out for us..there is another 1 that we are looking at tonight..