PDA

View Full Version : wireless security

PO15KA
10th March 2010, 08:31 PM
welcome,

we have a wired and wireless in our home. i wanted to know how can i find out if an undesireable devices are connected to our wireless, whats the easiest way?

we have Windows7.

here is a pic of our wireless map from the control panel option - does it mean no other devices are connected and using our internet?

guy 27
10th March 2010, 08:46 PM
exactly as you have done. at the moment you only have 2 computers connected.

Do you have a wep key? makes it a little bit harder for someone to get onto your network.

Nurb608
10th March 2010, 09:05 PM
You can program your router to only accept the MAC numbers of both your pc's aswell.

hazrd
11th March 2010, 07:19 AM
another thing you can do (like ive done to mine) is hide your router aswell as give it a WEP key (as above)

this way it wont come up on any searches so no one will know its is there.... but the reason i ask you give it a WEP key aswell is because the router only hides you from windows network searches (still shows up when someone uses a WiFi sniffer)

MAD-16V
11th March 2010, 09:39 AM
WEP is no longer a secure protocol , It can be cracked in a matter of minutes.

Use WPA2-PSK if it is an available option in your router.

gman
11th March 2010, 11:22 AM
Def go for WPA2-PSK if you can...And IMHO don't use Telstra!!

I just cancelled my cable account after 11 days as the SSID and key are not changable and fixed as a easily crackable 10 digit number!!!!

That and I am 99% sure the installer (who I had an arguement with) was hacking my account using the unchangable key!!!

Not sure how I managed to use 32Gb or data in one day when I was 200km away!!!!

Telstra is not a preferred provider IMHO!!!!

brc
11th March 2010, 02:34 PM
Encryption can be cracked WPA2, WPA, WEP.

Most secure method is MAC Address Filtering, nearly every home router has the capability, you just have to set it up.

start->run-cmd-> ipconfig /all -> grab local network connection and wireless network connection's MAC Address, add this to the filter table in your router settings, enable mac filtering and you're set.

If someone really wants to get on your network(for vital data), they can go to the effort of spoofing your MAC address. This would be highly unlikely.

On top of this, change the default password to your router (common mistake).

--

If you want to find out who is on your network, use your default gateway as a prime example, get an IP Range Scanner, and scan the IP range.

Example:

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Scan 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0. 255

This will tell you the connected devices, and depending on the scanner information on the device (operating system, mac addr, etc)

I highly recommend

Advanced IP Scanner 1.5
http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-IP-Scanner/3000-2085_4-10115592.html

Your virus scanner may have a sook about 'hacking tool', this is because that's technically what it is. It won't harm your PC, but any scanner like this is classed as a tool for hackers.

Enjoy.

gman
11th March 2010, 03:44 PM
The Telstra system doesn't even let you lock down MAC addresses!!! The modem is totally locked to anyone outside Telstra so you can't affect the network. Only option is to get a non-wireless modem and use your own wireless router. But they don't tell you any of this at the time. Plus they measure up AND down traffic in your total usage. Such a scam!!!

But I know what you mean...Seen wireless networks hacked in super quick times...Nothing a $200 12dB antenna, a decent laptop and a packet sampling tool can't handle...If they want in, they'll get in eventually

PO15KA
12th March 2010, 06:50 PM
Thank you gentlemen.. i will review my options.