PDA

View Full Version : I have discovered Gold!!!

SRI_Macca
5th March 2010, 10:01 PM
Hi All

I guess I'm the newest kid on the block. Been browsing the forum for the past couple of days and decided to finally register.
You guys are awesome. The wealth of knowledge you guys have provided is well worth it's weight in gold (so how's my brown-nosing going so far?).

So I currently have a stock standard 2001 Astra SRI 2.2. And since finding this forum, I have developed aspirations to develop my beauty. She has suffered in the past from a bit of neglect from it's previous owner (and other ungratefuls on the road), but all the more reason to put more love into her and make her shine. Made my first mod yesterday thanks to the "How to" de-restrict airbox from this site. Now I'm looking at putting together a plan for future mods to make my car my own. My skills in this area is not the best, so I'll be starting small and working my way up. Any suggestions you can provided will be noted for possible projects.

Thanks in advance for you patients with my noobness

hazrd
5th March 2010, 10:04 PM
no one likes a brown noser

jokes :lol:
welcome mate, glad you find the place a handy tool for your ride ;)

guy 27
5th March 2010, 10:05 PM
Welcome to the OA

for looks start off with colour coding, then lowering and wheels.
for performance get a nice 2.25" exhaust and throw on a pod filter for some added noise, then look at supercharging.

03srit
5th March 2010, 11:34 PM
Yeah and once you've got a pod perhaps you could sell your standard airbox ahhemm (to me) ahemm :)

Seriously though welcome to the site..

tomtom
6th March 2010, 11:48 AM
welcome mate :)

Jerram
6th March 2010, 12:12 PM
hi and welcome

before starting any modding, I suggest to get your car (especially the engine) running the best it can be. typically this means

-upgrade spark plugs, especially if they're the originals. Upgrading the leads, whilst not as necessary initially, can help later on
-check that the sensors are in good order and replace if necessary (eg intake temp, air flow mass meter, cam/crank angle sensor, both oxygen sensors) to do this get a fault code scan (or do the paperclip or brake pedal test)
-make sure that the struts/anti roll/swaybars are not making too much noise, and that the CV joints/rubber are in good condition (full lock, power on - if you hear ticking there's probably something wrong)
-if the air filter is due, throw in a K&N/Pipercross panel (or lash out some dollars and put in an induction kit)

sfar as modding is concerned, personal taste should really be the defining issue - don't be afraid to get creative. Mind you, kudos typically only come if things are done tastefully, and look like they've been professionally installed (eg. Guy's constellation ceiling/nico's suede)

SRI_Macca
6th March 2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks guys.

I like your logic Jerram. I'll start as you suggested, making sure that the engine is running smoothly. Then move on to the air flow, ie induction kit and exhaurst (as per guy 27 suggestion).

The cosmetics will come next. Putting together something unique to me, subtle but cool. Then right down the track, start looking into supercharging.

Once things start developing, I'll share by posting photo's.

hilary_1987
6th March 2010, 08:35 PM
Welcome to OA :)

ROCCO
6th March 2010, 09:11 PM
Is it me or can you feel a nose to....hah joking....welcome to the site!

CNBLU
6th March 2010, 10:23 PM
Welcome to OA

delemonte
7th March 2010, 04:26 AM
Welcome to the site! ;)

btm
8th March 2010, 11:08 AM
welcome welcome!

sooty
8th March 2010, 05:42 PM
Welcome mate

boorny88
8th March 2010, 05:54 PM
welcome mate hope you enjoy your time here

4th April 2010, 10:39 AM
welcome,I love this place!

tomburke7
4th April 2010, 09:27 PM
Hi All
My skills in this area is not the best, so I'll be starting small and working my way up. Any suggestions you can provided will be noted for possible projects.

Thanks in advance for you patients with my noobness

An easy performance mod is to run 95 octane fuel - my 2.2 comes to life on good juice. It gives as much gain as exhaust system mods, but without the added noise, and it gives the car a bigger boost then the series of intake mods you are embarking on.