PDA

View Full Version : Astra SRI Turbo noob in Melb.

green_comet
1st March 2010, 12:27 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone before I start posting in other threads. My name is Ryan, and today my girlfriend Courtney and I put down a deposit on a 2003 SRI Turbo. I look forward to learning as much as possible on here, and doing a few mods.

This (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8165371&keywords=sri%20turbo&tsrc=allcarhome&__Ntk=CarAll&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__D=sri%20turbo&silo=1011&seot=1&__sid=12575B60DFC8&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294965857% 204294965856%20903&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_PriceSort_D ecimal%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Make_String%7C0%7C%7CpCar_Mod el_String%7C0&__Qpb=true&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Cr=8&__Ntt=sri%20turbo&trecs=24) is the car, we are picking it up a little later in the week. It is super clean, with not one dint/scratch on the body, 60,000km, and full service history (We are not paying that price). Only mods are aftermarket springs, and a K&N panel filter, the rest is cosmetic stuff (tint, de-badging, and de-spoilered). We are both very excited, and look forward to picking it up. :swg:

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5881/30742581.jpg

I have been trying to research as much as possible, and im looking at doing a few reliability mods pretty much straight away. Percys oil restrictor bolt, and breather box looks to be the first things I will do. If anyone could point me in the right direction on where to get these 2 parts from, or recommend any other preventative maintenance mods that would be great.

Other than I am really look forward to contributing to the forum. :thumbs:

Cheers
Ryan

brc
1st March 2010, 08:34 AM
I've seen this car on carsales, very nice buy mate. You will fall in love with this car.

CNBLU
1st March 2010, 08:58 AM
Welcome Ryan

Congratulations on your purchase!!

sooty
1st March 2010, 09:12 AM
Welcome mate, good to have another vic member, see you on a cruise or at a meet sometime

btm
1st March 2010, 09:54 AM
welcome to the site and congrats on the purchase. very tidy example!

but personally, i'd put a spoiler back on

guy 27
1st March 2010, 10:24 AM
Welcome to OA

green_comet
1st March 2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys, and I will be coming down to the next cruise/meet to learn a few things and meet a few blokes. I am new to this whole Astra thing, so im trying to cram as much info about them as I can. I have been in the MX5 club for the past 5 years, as my current ride is a NA8 Clubman MX5, so im great if you need to know anything about them, but my astra knowledge is lacking. The MX5 is such an awesome yet impractical car, so it spends most of its time in the garage. The Astra will be taking over our daily driver duties. :swg:

Here is my MX5, if anyone is interested, the Astra in the background is my mums CD 1.8. She has had it since new.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/1426/59987884.jpg

chrissn89
1st March 2010, 12:10 PM
Welcome to the site mate, two very nice cars :)

A few performance mods for the astra turbo, full Turbo back exhaust either 2.5" or 3", intake (pod filter and remove the cross-over pipe), re-map (ups the boost and totally changes the car)

hazrd
1st March 2010, 01:32 PM
but personally, i'd put a spoiler back on

might aswell blacken the window out then :p :p

welcome

btm
1st March 2010, 01:56 PM
might aswell blacken the window out then :p :p
hahaha, true - but improves the overall look of the car imo

xplosv57
1st March 2010, 05:21 PM
saw this car on carsales and has to be one of the cleanest ive ever seen, and love the look of it without the rear spoiler, congratulations on your purchase!!!

Nurb608
1st March 2010, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the site mate!

In regards to the oil restrictor and breather box, see if there is anyone else interested to save on postage. He is a member on vxronline.co.uk but he is usually pretty flat out so takes time to respond sometimes. If you wan't I can send him a message on your behalf.

green_comet
1st March 2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the offer Nurb608, but I actually sent him a PM on VRXonline late lastnight. He replied by the time I got up this morning, and said that he will work out the cost of postage and get back to me. I wasn't expecting a reply seeing as alot of people were saying he's flat out, but he seems like a top bloke.

Thanks again for the offer.

Nurb608
1st March 2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the offer Nurb608, but I actually sent him a PM on VRXonline late lastnight. He replied by the time I got up this morning, and said that he will work out the cost of postage and get back to me. I wasn't expecting a reply seeing as alot of people were saying he's flat out, but he seems like a top bloke.

Thanks again for the offer.

Ah, good to hear! He really is a good bloke, maybe he just replies to us aussies first these days, lol

delemonte
1st March 2010, 07:38 PM
Looks very clean ;) Welcome to the site

'Basic preventative maintenance':
~As with most turbo-charged engines, frequent oil changes are always a good idea. Most of us SRi-T owners change our oil every 5,000kms or less.
~Take the last few minutes of the drive nice n easy so the turbo is not still overly hot when the oil pressure drops once the engine is turned off. With today's synthetic oils, some people argue that this is a pointless and unnecessary practice but I know I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Enjoy mate :)

green_comet
1st March 2010, 08:04 PM
No worries, Oil changes will be fine, as im pretty fastidious with things like that. I will make a note about letting the turbo cool before turning the car off, or I might invest in a turbo timer a bit down the track.

Cheers for the help.

green_comet
14th March 2010, 12:59 AM
Just an update, I picked up the car late friday night. Im very happy with it, and im going to give it a decent service soon. Im just waiting on a few parts to arrive from Uk. I will post up some better pics late tomorrow after I give the car a decent detail during the day.

Im going to spend this week getting a rwc for it, as the seller was dicking us around a little. It has taken 2 weeks, and in that time the car was only checked out for rwc once. The seller was taking too long so I asked him to knock some cash off the price and I would sort the rwc. It failed only for the ride height, so Ill change the springs back to standard ones which came with the car, and then get the rwc done.

Im also going to check for any boost leaks tomorrow, and make sure everything is running spot on.

guy 27
14th March 2010, 01:06 AM
just out of curiosity, what suspension setup does it have at present that caused it be too low? also which part of the car was the lowest point?

green_comet
14th March 2010, 01:34 AM
The seller had Sports Low Lovells springs put in it, and the lowest point of the car was some part of the exhaust. The car sits quite low, but I was suprised it didnt pass rwc. Ill have a look and check everything out tomorrow, I might be able to work something out. If worst comes to worst though ill just swap the standard springs in to pass the rwc.

Greg K
15th March 2010, 12:49 PM
nice Sri-t mate! and welcome to the forum!

im with Bryan.. the profile of the car looks better IMO with the spolier

green_comet
16th March 2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks alot for the kind words guys, if you are interested at all in what has been happening with the car, I made a thread in the member's car section. :thumbs:

Linky

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?26231-green_comet-the-Astra-SRI-T-noob&p=554518