PDA

View Full Version : Opels and Holden

BEK-46P
24th February 2010, 11:35 PM
Anyone know where I can read up on the procedures Holden go through to 'convert' Opel vehicles to suit both the Holden brand and Australian roads, in particular the AH Astras (yes, I have no life).

Vectracious
24th February 2010, 11:46 PM
I would have though the stuff that made the Astra "Holden" (being things like cosmetics and suspension tune etc) were done at the Factory ??

BEK-46P
24th February 2010, 11:52 PM
What's also interesting is all three Opel, Vauxhall and Holden badges are circular. Coincidence?

liam
24th February 2010, 11:56 PM
I'd say so, easiest way to create universal steering wheel airbags, keyfobs ect ect

Vectracious
24th February 2010, 11:58 PM
no, not co-incidence - economics. Wouldnt make sense for GM to have to make 3 different grill mouldings/wheel hub covers/keyfobs/steering wheel airbag covers to accomodate 3 different shaped badges.

BEK-46P
25th February 2010, 12:14 AM
I find these sorts of things fascinating, like that GM would've intentionally designed all three badges to be virtually identical (in shape) to pre-plan for these sorts of things.

ROCCO
25th February 2010, 07:55 AM
I find these sorts of things fascinating, like that GM would've intentionally designed all three badges to be virtually identical (in shape) to pre-plan for these sorts of things.

OK then....BEK no offence...you might want to get out a bit more lol

Vectracious
25th February 2010, 08:21 AM

pfft - says the man with imminent baby - your life will become all about shit, food, and sleeping patters - talking about co-branding of cars will become extremely interesting as well :p

ROCCO
25th February 2010, 02:45 PM
*sigh* Ohh how right your are Pete....*sigh* poor me :-(

coyotte
25th February 2010, 06:56 PM
I have a conspiracy theory that there is a Holden Executive at Fishermans bend with bottom draw full of Opel Badges......

BEK-46P
25th February 2010, 07:06 PM

You monster :)

MatsHolden
25th February 2010, 07:10 PM
no, not co-incidence - economics. Wouldnt make sense for GM to have to make 3 different grill mouldings/wheel hub covers/keyfobs/steering wheel airbag covers to accomodate 3 different shaped badges.

They must've forgot that with the Commodore export program... Holden, Chev and Pontiac. :p

Vectracious
25th February 2010, 08:49 PM
They must've forgot that with the Commodore export program... Holden, Chev and Pontiac. :p

Maybe thats what killed the Pontiac G8 :p

Jerram
26th February 2010, 12:49 AM
But they do make 3 different grille mouldings (or at least they used to until recently)

cdxi
26th February 2010, 04:47 PM
Yeah, it's all economics.

Remember the first Holden badged Opels with plastic wheel covers? The Holden Lions were glued on over Opel or Vauxhall ones. Same with the old RB Geminis from the 80s.

The plastic tyre-valve remover in the fuel filler cap of my Vec C has Opel and Vauxhall badges on it - not a Lion in sight!