PDA

View Full Version : Question re number plates

ROCCO
21st February 2010, 08:55 PM
I'm planning on buying a new car and trading my current one. At the moment i have personalised plates on it...any one know how I go about getting new plates and keep my personalised ones for the new car.
I'm doing this through a car yard.
Thanks

DirtyHarry
22nd February 2010, 08:07 AM
just tell the dealer you want to transfer your personalised plates to the new car.
theyll do everything for you, and youll have to pay transfer fees' etc etc.
shouldnt be much.
so when you come to pick up your new car, all youll have to do is just swap plates over.

ROCCO
22nd February 2010, 10:15 AM
SWEEEEET.....your awesome harry

Wraith
22nd February 2010, 12:46 PM
Off topic, but what are you replacing the Astra with Rocco ??? :)

ROCCO
22nd February 2010, 12:50 PM
Well with a bub on the way...time has come to get rid of one of the astras...been looking at the Holden Adventura...got one in the Subaru car lot in Narre that i'm interested in....if the bloody dealer will call me back.

hazrd
22nd February 2010, 09:27 PM
I will explain to u the experience we had in december when we bought the astra......

the dealer would not transfer the missus' personalised plates across from the old car to the new one because apparently the car has to be in her name before something like that can happen, and it takes vicroads 3 to 10 days to process the paperwork... nor were we allowed to "swap" the plates from one car to the other

we had to take delivery of the car, wait a few days, then go into vicroads with both cars, dispose of the plates from the astra, unassign the personal plates from the old car, then pay a $102 fee to reassign them to the astra, and pay a $34 fee to have NEW plates put on the old car :confused: i was like WTF lady... theres a perfectly good set of SLIMLINE plates there that came off the astra before putting the custom ones on.... and they have to be disposed of in order to be replaced with some shithouse big off the shelf plates!? what a waste

its ridiculous i know, because when we bought the old car (lived in NSW) the RTA were able to do a straight swap of the rego's across on the spot for a $55 fee

no matter how much i argued to vicroads, it was their way or no car :(

hope that gives u a bit of an idea mate

SIMid
23rd February 2010, 08:15 AM
Or in a nutshell, get a set of plates from VIC Roads for the Astra now and when U buy the new car, give your personal plates to the dealer to register with.

GreyRex
23rd February 2010, 09:12 AM
I'm trying to remember how I did it when I bought mine. From memory I gave them to the dealer, and picked up the car with my ones on

That was 3 years ago though...

Wraith
23rd February 2010, 12:35 PM
Well with a bub on the way...time has come to get rid of one of the astras...been looking at the Holden Adventura...got one in the Subaru car lot in Narre that i'm interested in....if the bloody dealer will call me back.

Congrats...

And hope all goes well with the new car :)

Or in a nutshell, get a set of plates from VIC Roads for the Astra now and when U buy the new car, give your personal plates to the dealer to register with.

That's exactly the way I've done it too...

Just remember to acquire a set of 'normal' plates for the car your getting rid of first, before getting the new one and all should be good :)

ROCCO
23rd February 2010, 12:40 PM
Alot can change in a day lol...especially when dealing with a pregnant wife...basically we decicded to hold off on buying the car...save a little more until at least the baby is born and looking at something like a VE Sportswagon in stead....i'm happy with that...so yeah...but at least I know what I have to do prior to selling or trading the astra...thanks guys

Wraith
23rd February 2010, 12:44 PM
Alot can change in a day lol...especially when dealing with a pregnant wife...basically we decicded to hold off on buying the car...save a little more until at least the baby is born and looking at something like a VE Sportswagon in stead....i'm happy with that...so yeah...but at least I know what I have to do prior to selling or trading the astra...thanks guys

Agree with you on those decisions Rocco, very smart move ;)

Better timing, more budget to play with and a better vehicle in the end, a VE sport wagon is a great choice :thumbs:

ROCCO
23rd February 2010, 11:19 PM
yeah I think so...anther plus is that the missus has let me upgrade the brakes on the astra...yay...bring on the new disc and pads this weekend