PDA

View Full Version : Swapping "Opel" for a Alfa Romeo?

Klunke_DK
5th February 2010, 07:17 PM
My good old (98) barina is having a few small issues, i have wondered about how to go about it. Either upgrade engine/gearbox combo, run it into the ground and get another small car when it does.... OR... Just found this rather decent looking Alfa Romeo GT... At a wrecker.... Its got 5 months rego, just had a new head, runs really well and appears to be ok. Its got some electrical issues, but i should be able to sort that out myself (automechanic/autosparkie)... They do go for around 3 - 5 grand mark, he wants 3 with the barina as a tradein... Im thinking 2 grand and he gets the Barina aswell...

But would i be able to get a conversion kit and C20 engine/gearbox combo for the 2 grand mark?? Or should i do the Alfa trade??

Im really undecided and could do with some input here... I know alfa's are nothing but trouble but i also know that the GT is a deliciously balanced and fun car to drive... And its got twin sidedraugt carbies, and i loooooveeeeee sidedraught carbies...

What should i do????

poita
5th February 2010, 07:24 PM
I know alfa's are nothing but trouble but i also know that the GT is a deliciously balanced and fun car to drive... And its got twin sidedraugt carbies, and i loooooveeeeee sidedraught carbies...

What should i do????

havent had any personal experience, but i think you've answered your own question right here

Jerram
5th February 2010, 09:05 PM
might be worth asking over at www.alfaclub.org.au

Alfas are pretty hit and miss - I think so long as you're aware that there will probably be a line of little niggly problems you should be alright. I'm assuming this is the twinspark version? If so the engine should be pretty reliable, but make sure the clutch/gearbox is in great shape because I've heard that they can be the cause of problems on the gtv.

Other than that yeah they're a great car - i've had a few test drives in both the v6 and twinspark and as a drive I haven't had better.

poita
5th February 2010, 09:47 PM
Wheres Noir? She went from an Opel (albeit the biggest yellowist lemon I have ever heard of) to an Alfa.

She will be able to offer you some insight.

Orion_996
6th February 2010, 10:43 AM
Ohhh the pleasures of owning an old Alfa. What year is the GTV?

I used to own a 1985 Alfa 33. Lots of hours, maintenance and money went into that thing. It ended up costing me around $5000 including purchase price of $1000, another $1000 to get it roadworthy and registered, and another $3000 just to keep it running over only a 1 YEAR period!!! But I used to love it. Imagine: twin webbers on a boxer engine, 1.5L 100hp, heaps of torque and only about 800kg. Great fun and balance, but only when it worked properly, which wasn't very often.

I love Alfas. I would absolutely love a new 159 and a 1974 GTV 2000 to complement it in the garage and for weekend drives. But having an old Alfa for a daily driver.... forget about it... just my 2c.

gmonkey
7th February 2010, 02:18 AM
mmm yeh i love alfas aswell i almost bought a GTV for a work on car at one point... and then i almost bought a 157 Monza Hatch before the Astra... but common sence kicked in and i decided against an alfa, so i bought an opel.. ??logic??

ChrisMaz
7th February 2010, 04:06 AM
Was in the same Boat. Was going to buy a Low KM 156. But decided against the Alfa due to all the horror stories I'd heard of.

Then bought a Vectra and heard even more horror stories.

Plus the 156 looked more boring than the Vectra GTS

Wraith
8th February 2010, 12:39 PM
Personal choice really...

You seem to know pretty much everything involved going one way or the other...

If you know you can handle the 'possible costs and dramas which may arise from acquiring the Alfa and it's fine by you, then go for it :)

Klunke_DK
9th February 2010, 03:15 PM
I know i shouldnt.... Ive had a closer inspection of it, and i dont think i will... Looks like its a home mechanic that owned it previous, and the repairs that are easyli accessible on wires, and other small things it looks pretty dodgy.

But ive given him a 1.800 dollar offer, and told him he can think about it for 3 weeks... I really know i shouldnt.... But its just a lovely lovely drive...