PDA

View Full Version : My (Soon to arrive) Vauxhall Astra GTE

fuzznucket
4th February 2010, 01:45 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say Hi, and post a few pics of my AStra GTE thats arriving in Aus this weekend.

It was a real find. 1986 model and its only done 32,000 miles. Immaculate inside and out. Even the one that Vauxhall have themselves in their heritage museum has over 50k on the clock.

I'm just praying that it arrives in the same condition and that quaratine take good care of it when they steam clean it. :ihih:

It still needs to go through its ADR checks before it can be registered, I'll keep the board posted of its progress.

gmonkey
4th February 2010, 01:46 AM
nice work mate!! the GTE was the sports series wasnt it with a 1.8??

ChrisMaz
4th February 2010, 02:06 AM
Nice work mate! Love the shape of those early astras. :thumbs:

gmonkey
4th February 2010, 02:09 AM
oh yeh, welcome and where abouts in aus are ya?

btm
4th February 2010, 08:50 AM
nice buddy! keep us updated

Nurb608
4th February 2010, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the site mate, and +1, where are you in Aus?

Jerram
4th February 2010, 12:36 PM
welcome to the site mate - now get ready to answer everyone's questions about importing lol

I'm sure the locals would love to have you down a cruise sometime. Also does it have the sweet electronic clocks?

fuzznucket
4th February 2010, 01:32 PM
Hey Jerram,

No worries, i'd be happy to help. Nows actually a really good time to bring in a car from the UK. The pound is in the toilet so we're getting a sweet exchange rate, plus the UK car industry it in bits, so the cars are cheap anyway. The shipping charges and import duties kill you a bit, but well worth it if you're looking for a nice example.

Yup its got the original digital dash. A lot of the older GTE's were dismantled and the digi dash's taken out and put into the older MK I Astra's etc.

Would love to come down for a cruise. I expect it will take a few weeks to get my blue slip and rego all sorted out etc. Whens the next one?

fuzznucket
4th February 2010, 01:37 PM
Hey Mate,

Yeah its the original 1.8 8v, with the slightly bigger head oddly, than the 2.0L which came out in '87 I beleive. I owned one of each and found that the 1.8 always pulled better in the lower rev's with the odd wheel spin in 3rd gear which was nice: )

poita
4th February 2010, 01:38 PM
very nice mate, would be good to see it in the flesh :)

have a browse on the forum for user Ant0ny. He has built a replica, and tweaked it a little.
I have been in it, and wow does it move.

Also, if you don't mind, can you throw up a thread with information regarding the processes you had to go through to be able to import the car from the UK to Aus.
Some members may find the info usefull.

Oh btw, welcome to the forum

Cheers Peter

*edit*

heres the thread

http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?16266-Opel-Kadett-GSi-Group-A-Rally-Replica&highlight=antony

gmonkey
4th February 2010, 01:42 PM
yeh id love to know about importing cars :) i plan on having an Opel GT or Opel ascona or Manta GTE :) (but i think ill get myn from the USA)

fuzznucket
4th February 2010, 01:43 PM
I saw Ant0ny's car - really sweet machine.

That was my original plan, to take a Cielo and put all the bits on it to make a GTE, but recently the exchange rates went in our favour and was appealing to just buy the car. I'd love to see his car in the flesh though.

I'll chuck up a thread with the import information. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

fuzznucket
4th February 2010, 01:49 PM
yeh id love to know about importing cars :) i plan on having an Opel GT or Opel ascona or Manta GTE :) (but i think ill get myn from the USA)

I think that it depends which State you live in. I looked at importing some from the USA, but the LHD laws in Aus seem to be astoundingly harsh, even for classics. It was so hard gettign quality info that I just gave up - especially as the conversions are sooo expensive.

gmonkey
4th February 2010, 02:06 PM
WA, we dont have LHD laws at all pretty much, any car that is pre 1979 also has a lot more leanancy

fuzznucket
4th February 2010, 03:12 PM
WA, we dont have LHD laws at all pretty much, any car that is pre 1979 also has a lot more leanancy

Oh thats sweet - its almost worth moving to WA just to take advantage of this.

For anyone else thats interested, I've made a thread with all the information that I could think of at http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?25832-Fuzz-s-Intro-Guide-Importing-Cars-from-the-UK-to-Australia&p=545098 for importing a car from the UK to Australia.

fuzznucket
4th February 2010, 03:15 PM
wow - got my new number plate today from teh RTA - amazed no one had taken it.

I should be well easy to spot nowadays

fuzznucket
4th February 2010, 03:22 PM
A few more pics of the GTE
3545.3544 3543

gmonkey
5th February 2010, 01:51 AM
that speedo is awesome!!! ahah also appears to be kph, which would be good :D

TURBOGRINS
24th February 2010, 01:15 PM
that speedo is awesome!!! ahah also appears to be kph, which would be good :D

I believe the oldskool digidash were able to change from MPH to KPH with a button push - handy for travelling to Europe
(or just give your mates the idea that you traveliling 1.6 times faster than normal...), love these cars - top vented bonnet = sexy!

dutchy
24th February 2010, 03:26 PM
COOL, my mate in Holland had an Opel Kadet GSI with that same speedo.

Shay
24th February 2010, 08:24 PM
lol, i love the shape of the tacho, made to look like a power curve...

TURBOGRINS
8th March 2010, 12:43 PM
lol, i love the shape of the tacho, made to look like a power curve...

maybe you and Mania should team up to make some kind of 2010 version for both your cars??? - you can do the photoshop design work and alex can figure out the boards and software?
now that would be a sweeeeeet project!

4th April 2010, 10:43 AM
looks so tidy!