PDA

View Full Version : Flashing centre brake light

guy 27
31st January 2010, 02:35 PM
Just wondering what your thoughts are on a flashing centre brake light would be.

I know the vxr has it under hard braking (ie when abs kicks in) but I have been looking at adding it to my car as an additional warning system.

http://www.flashingbrakelights.com/

Worth it or save my money?

gmonkey
31st January 2010, 02:37 PM
just looks like u have a broken light IMO

you may know wat it is but the person whos crashing up your arse might not :p

dont bother i say

Keep'emRunning
31st January 2010, 03:37 PM
..if you need to brake hard enough for the abs to kick in, wouldn't it be better to look where you're steering, rather than blankly staring at a blinking light? :D

Unnecessary distraction imo...

auzvectra
31st January 2010, 04:19 PM
yeh, i have to agree wit the others, i dont think they r ne good. yeh it may get ur attention in a slow brakeing scenario, but thats all.

they still dont help for those bloody left foot brakers that sit there wit their foot on the brake all the time.

Nurb608
31st January 2010, 10:05 PM
I'm biased, but I like the idea of it. If someone is braking that hard infront of me i'd then know that i should be slamming them on rather than just slightly braking like normal.

poita
31st January 2010, 10:10 PM
you should also get a stencil so it says Opel Astra wen u brake........

hazrd
31st January 2010, 10:11 PM
Danger Will Robinson would be more appropriate imo

rodsfromday
31st January 2010, 10:24 PM
Years ago i had a flasher unit hooked up to my brake lights, so when i braked they would flash. Looked kinda sweet and neva got in shite with the laws!!

guy 27
31st January 2010, 10:27 PM
Looked kinda sweet and neva got in shite with the laws!!

They are completely legal in Aus. They are standard equipment on most high end cars now.

hazrd
31st January 2010, 10:47 PM
since u have a lot of time on ur hands :p

why not try wiring a switch up under your brake pedal, so that when u press the pedal down far enough, the brake light goes from constant, to flashing?

guy 27
31st January 2010, 10:50 PM
that is not a bad idea at all but that requires effort and i am lazy but i will look into it.

CNBLU
1st February 2010, 12:59 AM
Why not get some neons and strobes aswell and do some chap laps :p

I think you must be bored Guy

nuggz
1st February 2010, 07:33 AM
for just the centre brake light
i think its a good idea. considering its like a standard feature on most euro cars these days

Nurb608
1st February 2010, 09:13 AM
I'm too lazy to check out my wiring diagrams but i'd be guessing my centre one starts flashing when the ABS is activated so shouldn't be that hard to wire something up. Come on Guy, you've been saying how bored you were lately, lol.

JohnBu
1st February 2010, 09:28 AM
I like the idea, but it's a lot of work...

good safely feature, but really should only be used when ABS/DSC kicks in.

ROCCO
1st February 2010, 10:33 AM
Why not get some neons and strobes aswell and do some chap laps :p

I think you must be bored Guy

What the hell is wrong with Chap Laps?? ;-)

JR
1st February 2010, 12:14 PM
I like the idea, but it's a lot of work...

good safely feature, but really should only be used when ABS/DSC kicks in.

+1

won't work here in the ACT though, if u tried it on ur boot spoiler or similar :(. they have a stupid rule here doesn't let u have a "third brake light"!!!! how friggin stupid is that sh1t!!!!
so..
1st brake light = standard tailight brakes = OK
2nd brake light = high mount brakes (inside rear window) = OK
3rd brake light = on rear spoiler for e.g. = NOT OK!

mofos!!!!

nuggz
1st February 2010, 12:28 PM
+1

won't work here in the ACT though, if u tried it on ur boot spoiler or similar :(. they have a stupid rule here doesn't let u have a "third brake light"!!!! how friggin stupid is that sh1t!!!!
so..

mofos!!!!

its meant to be on the 2nd brake light
it would have to be ok cos cars come with it as standard these days =)

Vectracious
2nd February 2010, 01:23 PM
+1

so..

mofos!!!!

I think if a car comes standard with a spoiler - you'll find the they've only got the high mount brake light on the spoiler. The same model without the spoiler gets the central brake light in the window. I don't think they come with both...

Vectracious
2nd February 2010, 01:24 PM
also - aren't cars programmed so that the hazards come on during hard braking or activation of ESP??

JohnBu
2nd February 2010, 01:29 PM
Only the better/newer ones.

Nurb608
2nd February 2010, 02:57 PM
also - aren't cars programmed so that the hazards come on during hard braking or activation of ESP??

The abs flashing on the dash is distracting enough, last thing i would want was more flashing lights telling me I broke too late, lol.

nuggz
2nd February 2010, 03:11 PM

yea some new ones,
Stig showed the fiat 500 ones work =)

auzvectra
2nd February 2010, 03:11 PM
The abs flashing on the dash is distracting enough, last thing i would want was more flashing lights telling me I broke too late, lol.

haha, the esp light for me is just a warning that i'm about to start cursing the car, then turn it off (cause i forgot again) :D.

Nurb608
2nd February 2010, 03:13 PM
haha, the esp light for me is just a warning that i'm about to start cursing the car, then turn it off (cause i forgot again) :D.

lol :D

auzvectra
2nd February 2010, 03:16 PM
lol :D

well it does kindly turn itself off sometimes, when it just goes fk it i can stop it from spinnin, so it gives up and disables itself :).

stevedee3
2nd February 2010, 06:52 PM
also - aren't cars programmed so that the hazards come on during hard braking or activation of ESP??Don't know think that's done on Opels, but I know that more recent Vectra Cs can be set up to:

Flash the centre brake light during ABS stops
Illuminate both tail lights and brake lights at full brightness during ABS stops