PDA

View Full Version : Video Capture Cards

BEK-46P
26th January 2010, 08:45 AM
Thinking of recording some old VHS movies to my hard drive. Checked out some capture cards on eBay, some are as cheap as $10. They contain RCA/S-video inputs. Is this enough or do the cheap ones record bad quality?

dieselhead
26th January 2010, 12:27 PM
Well, I would say that VHS is already bad as it is :) Seriously now, those cards are so cheap because most likely the processing is done by software, not hardware. Which is a good thing because the quality is only limited by the software you are using. Modern PCs have no problems at all processing VHS video.

ASTRAY
26th January 2010, 04:36 PM
i have loads of vid cassettes that i need to convert onto dvd, and have checked out bigw etc where they want about $70 for the kit....
so if its possible to do it cheaper, and with same or better quality, can you guys please help me out?
i just need to know what programs ill need and a link for the video cards....
or am i going to be better off just buying the bigw thingo?

guy 27
26th January 2010, 09:03 PM
they are all going to be roughly the same. if you don't like the software there are others available online. I have converted a few VHS to dvd's in the past. Quality was not too bad and the loss was only very slight. The system i used was an older version of Pinnical with a video card that had s-video in.

If they are movies you want to convert i really would suggest not wasting the time and get the dvd or free copy (available on the high seas).
If its old home movies you want to do then maybe a dvd recorder hooked up to a vhs. that way you can just dub 1 to 1 with the least amount of video loss.

poita
27th January 2010, 09:46 PM
drop into your local HN, buy Dazzle.
comes with hardware and software to do what you need to do, bout the $100 mark

Calibrated
28th January 2010, 12:56 PM
buy a 2nd hand VCR / DVD-RW combo. should be able to pick them up under $100. we bought one ages ago to convert all our old VHS tapes. and you can still use them to transfer straight from digicam to dvd. no need to worry about software, etc. its just a direct dub.