PDA

View Full Version : New Astra Owner/New Member

UNEEQ
21st January 2010, 10:02 PM
Hi all,

Thought I'd introduce myself to everyone.

I'm Todd, and due to some unfortunate circumstances I am now the proud owner of a Black 2006 Astra SRi Turbo.

Up until now I have had literally a craptonne of Geminis and Pulsars (both modified in some way, turbo'd and N/A)

I decided I'm done with ripping a car's guts out and rebuilding from scratch and the Astra fit the bill perfectly (the MPS needed some "JOKER" plates and painted purple and green with a bright red smile, and the XR5T didn't have a big enough power increase to justify the excessive price tag!)

Anyway, undoubtedly you'll see me around on the road (and by that I mean a few coz I'm a Southie!!)

Pics will go up sometime over the weekend once I've given her the first clean (tad on the feral side right now)

Stock Standard, let the "bolt on" mods begin!

Cheers

Todd

EDIT: Should also mention it's a MY06.5 So, newer one from 06 not older :)

Nurb608
21st January 2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the site Todd!

Not sure we'd seem them as "unfortunate circumstances" ending up with a nice car like that :p

sooty
21st January 2010, 10:15 PM
Welcome mate, which state?

Jeenous
21st January 2010, 10:18 PM
welcome to OA :)

Shay
21st January 2010, 10:18 PM
Official welcome mate,

and your one of 2 SOR memberrs haha.

waiting eagerly for pics, hopin to see some colour (were a fairly monotonous state atm)

also if you need any bolt on ideas, rory's (nurb608) thread is the one to look through...

UNEEQ
21st January 2010, 10:19 PM
haha, well the unfortunate circumstances were that 5 months ago someone driving on an International Licence decided that I should stop travelling down the road at 60KM/h for him to turn out of a service station.

That got fixed and a nice front end put on my N16 Pulsar, followed by a Navara with a trailer from a construction site writing off the rear end 4 days before christmas.

So... I am still a few thousand out of pocket from the front end and hire car expenses since the first guy had his car 2 days and wasn't insured and hasn't made an arrangement to repay me the 1.2K yet - also has my insurance co after him for 7K (Stupid idiot IMHO considering he delivers pizzas for a (somewhat local) pizza place), and that I had a sore neck for a while...

Oh and I tripped over at a car yard because they hadn't taken their duty of care by letting a client park over the warning lines in a no parking area, damaged my leg which took 2 months to heal and (won't bore you with the details) my eldest son went flying face first into the ashfelt... blood gushing everywhere.

Anyway, enough venting, don't want to seem all bitter and grudge-like!! Yes, you are quite right "ending up with a nice car like that"

EDIT:

I'm in WA... I believe I should already be on nerb and shay's lists...
Sorry to disappoint, but it's just the Black Sapphire with darkest legal tint right now... nothing else, but that will change... (if I can sneak it past the boss!)

Shay
21st January 2010, 10:58 PM
dont worry, you wont be goin back to the stealers anyway, they know next to nothing about these cars.
if you need any local inspiration, check out Mania's thread, almost impossible to notice its not stock, yet it has more power at the wheels than stock at the engine.
very very easy to sneak past the boss :D

also if you want to change the colour of all the dash lights he is the resident LED re fitter...

UNEEQ
21st January 2010, 11:02 PM
... and reading my mind already! you'll see what I mean when you read the PM about changing the dash colors... so I'll be talking to him/her in the next few days I think!

EDIT: Thanks for the warm welcomes! hopefully I'll be able to make myself valuable here from time to time as well!

boorny88
22nd January 2010, 12:39 AM
welcome buddy im the local WA astra G srit haha hope u enjoy ur time on OAz

guy 27
22nd January 2010, 01:41 AM
welcome to OA.

Shay
22nd January 2010, 02:09 AM
lol from msn'ing with todd tonight, the mod bug is already sucking on his neck , and alex and rory will be getting a few questions :D

gmonkey
22nd January 2010, 03:05 AM
ahha welcome mate.. need any info on interior stuff for the astra hit me up.. seems im dismantling and re-assembling everyones on here all the time :p

mods you must do to get more grunt:
EDS IPF software remap
FMIC
Vectra C or Diesel Intake piping or a enclosed pod
Highflow Cat and high flow exhaust system
Check AstraOwnersclub and VXRonline for the pom's custom intake manifolds (dbilias one is supposably not great)
REAR ANTI-ROLL BAR (PM GSLrallysport [greg] about them) best handling mod you can do to the astra Hs

mods to do to make look nicer:
lowering springs (eibach seems to be the favourites on here)
dont respray your wheels black :p
OPEL BADGES!!
shadow chrome rear chrome strip and front strip(or paint it)
interior SMD conversion (can help ya with, think alex is getting sick of them as we still havent finished another members car yet :p)
GID/3line to CID

need any info about the astra h just ask, community here is mainly astra h's (and sapphire black aswell,myn wont be much longer hopefully :D focus RS green here we come) :p

ChrisMaz
22nd January 2010, 04:11 AM
Welcome mate.

Hope to see you at some cruises and Mini-Meets.

btm
22nd January 2010, 08:40 AM
welcome to the site!

UNEEQ
22nd January 2010, 09:01 AM
Hello again!

I'll definately be at the next cruise (work permitting). Looking forward to meeting people already

mods you must do to get more grunt:
EDS IPF software remap
FMIC
Vectra C or Diesel Intake piping or a enclosed pod
Highflow Cat and high flow exhaust system
Check AstraOwnersclub and VXRonline for the pom's custom intake manifolds (dbilias one is supposably not great)
REAR ANTI-ROLL BAR (PM GSLrallysport [greg] about them) best handling mod you can do to the astra Hs

Yes to all that... Seen the intakes on Courtenays, I'm sure there's more cost effective alternatives for similar gains though.

mods to do to make look nicer:
lowering springs (eibach seems to be the favourites on here)
dont respray your wheels black :p
OPEL BADGES!!
shadow chrome rear chrome strip and front strip(or paint it)
interior SMD conversion (can help ya with, think alex is getting sick of them as we still havent finished another members car yet :p)
GID/3line to CID

Maybe, yuck, yes, paint - probably a green of some sort (Son loves green), already PMd him, GIDWhat? not familiar with the acronyms yet!

And if I ever respray mine, I guess I'll have to avoid green!

Yes I'm up early (son woke me up damnit...) :( but I think I'm going to like it here. The last main forum I was on didn't have such a ... well, family community thing happening! People offering to help each other out other than typing a few words, whether it be for help in return or some pizza and a slab, I don't know... and don't really care. The offers were there and that counts for a lot. (some people get worried about pulling things apart. I don't mind interior stuff, but the electrics on this thing scares me... What's it called again? sounds like drugs?)

Shay
22nd January 2010, 10:48 AM
haha, you mean CANBUS... :lol:

btw mate, put up a cruise thread last night, so check out the WA cruises section.

gmonkey
22nd January 2010, 12:15 PM
haha yeh us WA members are pretty much just a group of mates now :p

canbus is a problem, alex(mania) is working how to 'tame' it at the moment with his CarPC hes doing pretty good job with it, said it not that hard

oh yeh forgot to mention on mods to do... get some new shocks (sadly its not simple you have to find IDS ones)

GID = screen with info and menus but is just plain orange (which i think you should probs have)
3 line = screen with 3 lines of info no menus
2 line = is base line rubbish with 2 lines and no onboard trip computer
CID = colour LCD screen 6.4" big same features as the GID but prettier

UNEEQ
22nd January 2010, 08:44 PM
Ok, so I have some information now on what I need to get, so now I just need to plan what colors I want where, I'm thinking Green/White combo. But what about the screen with all the info on it, is that what you are talking about gmonkey? what is the advantage to the GID? is the car capable of making things look prettier and more graphical with the new screen, or do I jkust get the option to program things as different colors?

hazrd
22nd January 2010, 08:50 PM
welcome mate

mania
22nd January 2010, 11:55 PM
Welcome Uneeq.

You already have a GID, a CID doesn't show anymore but looks a lot prettier (http://i26.tinypic.com/ften9d.jpg) (snap from my car). They're a matter of finding a cheap divorced/unmarried one from German ebay, and then getting a friendly Holden dealer to marry it to your car... so not quite plug and play, but fairly non-fuss. Certainly easier then changing SMD's ;).

As for those... well, if I can find the time I may be able to help out. Got two other projects + work + life taking everything at the moment...

Be good to see you on upcoming cruises :)

rodsfromday
23rd January 2010, 07:37 AM
Welcome!!!

UNEEQ
23rd January 2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks Alex, I can see finding one is going to be the tricky part, but I also see a kit that allows it to play video input, which is a nice feature! I'll keep an eye out for one

On the other hand, you'll definately see me at the next cruise on the 21st Feb!

gmonkey
23rd January 2010, 02:32 PM
ebay.de is best place to find them

yeh vid input is good if you have a new headunit or dvd90 :)

UNEEQ
23rd January 2010, 05:03 PM
Ok, so I'm assuming with the CID and The DVD 90 Navi, I get all the features of GPS and DVD through the color screen from the OE unit? Is there any difference from the Opera to the Navi? Speakers will all just plug in again? God this welcome thread is going off topic every which way, and making my decision for which mods to do first even harder, but hey, I like options... this is a really sweet car! even more glad that I didn't get the MPS or the XR5 now!

Edit: Afterthought: Thanks for the Mod Bug Overload guys...:mad2:

mania
23rd January 2010, 10:35 PM
The DVD 90 just takes DVD navi disks, it doesn't play dvds. AFAIK no one has tried a CD70 or DVD90 here to see if local maps work... although I think blaupunkt disks should.

Plug and play for audio - dvd90 and cd70 both take an additional (expensive) cable to send the nav maps to the screen though.

UNEEQ
23rd January 2010, 11:15 PM
Thanks Alex... stuff that for a funny joke then. That explains why there's 2 drives in it. I'll stick with the opera then. I've heard there's an Aux Input mod we can do to the CDC 40, so I'll search around for that... Maybe I can get my iPhone playing on the CID and through the speakers :) I don't want to have to stuff around trying to put in an aftermarket sound system

gmonkey
23rd January 2010, 11:42 PM
aftermarket soundsystem is easy!!!! check out myn :)

UNEEQ
24th January 2010, 12:47 AM
HAHA Come to the cruise and I will!!!

Changed by low beams and parkers today... Ultra 5000 Kelbins. I'm happy with them, and the parkers are so dark they look like black light... a nice dark white light that almost looks purple. Kind of matches the color that shines out in the day time from the paint!

Still have highs (going same ultras) and spotties to go. Thinking of HIDs for them, unless they can be changed for another similar globe?

EDIT: Holy crap, I must have been gone when I wrote that... Spelling and dribbling crap and the likes.

UNEEQ
24th January 2010, 03:14 PM
Pictures are up in http://www.opelaus.com/forums/showthread.php?25729

TURBOGRINS
30th January 2010, 02:04 AM
looks a lot prettier (http://i26.tinypic.com/ften9d.jpg) (snap from my car). :)

Hey Alx, whathfkk why don't u have electric mirrors? - you got an SRI-T? mine has electrics urs doesn't?

gmonkey
30th January 2010, 02:31 AM
they are electrics... hes replaced the tweeter covers with real tweeters :)

Shay
30th January 2010, 04:18 AM
i think you are looking at a tweeter...

mania
30th January 2010, 12:20 PM
As above ;)

TURBOGRINS
31st January 2010, 01:45 PM
thanks guys, you all made be feel stuoopid,:blush2: boo..

gmonkey
31st January 2010, 01:50 PM
me not be ;) ahah sorry i had to :p