PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on headlight

R3N
27th September 2004, 10:13 PM
Does anyone know how to "fix" minor scratches on the outside lense of the headlights? Mine appears to have many going across them, minor scratches but noticable upon nearer inspection. Is there some sort of plastic/glass polisher/finisher I can use?

blackSRi
27th September 2004, 10:18 PM
I use Novus plastic polish. I ordered a sample pack from the US and took the scratches out of my rear right lights when someone scratched them with a shopping trolley 6 weeks after I got my new car. Can't tell they were ever marked, and they were quite deep and broad.
http://www.noscratch.com/novus/

It's also great for getting scratches out of rental DVD's so they will play - I hate it when you loan a movie and it starts skipping :idea:

Mark
27th September 2004, 11:48 PM
Toothpaste is supposed to remove minor scratches from glass.
Try it and see.

blackSRi
28th September 2004, 11:20 PM
I personally wouldn't use toothpaste on the light plastic - you might put more fine 'clouding' scratches there.
Also, don't use ammonia-based cleaners - they harden and yellow the plastic (eg Windex etc), or kitchen paper - lense paper or CD polishing paper cloth is best for hard plastic.

Mark
29th September 2004, 12:52 AM
Does anyone know how to "fix" minor scratches on the outside lense of the headlights?

If its the glass then tooth paste won't hurt it,but dont use it on plastic.

R3N is it the glass or the Head light protector??

R3N
29th September 2004, 01:20 AM
It actually isn't glass at all, the lense is plastic, I don't have headlamp protectors, just the headlamp which is plastic

blackSRi
29th September 2004, 05:15 PM
The clear, oval-shape body molded stuff over the bulbs is plastic. It's hard, optical plastic. If you look at the back of the unit you can see the plastic weld line and the clips on the edge (front or back - can't remember).
We're talking Astra G here aren't we?

Also, updated URL for orders:
http://www.novuspolish.com

Mark
29th September 2004, 09:35 PM
Ahh well there ya go, ya learn something new every day. I didn't realise they were plastic, could try ringing one of the places who sell perspex or something they might know what is the best on that sort of stuff.

blackSRi
30th September 2004, 04:43 PM
Perspex/Lucite (US) recommend Novus Plastic Polish (I checked - it is recommended on the Lucite website).
I don't know what sort of hard plastic they are, either Polycarbonate or Acrylic plastic (eg "Plexiglass") - all I know is the Nous stuff works on it.