PDA

View Full Version : Customs import duty

dutchy
16th January 2010, 01:45 PM
Has anyone had to pay customs import duty / taxes on parts imported from overseas that had a value of more than AU$ 1000 ?

Cheers, Dutch

jastra
16th January 2010, 04:53 PM
Has anyone had to pay customs import duty / taxes on parts imported from overseas that had a value of more than AU$ 1000 ?

Cheers, Dutch

Not myself but my parents, we have a shop and purchased 5000 of those eco bags with our logo on it from china. The total came to just over $1000 and it resulted in delays in delivery and extra charges and obviously we had to pay tax on them. Not sure if the delays were a result of the high quantity but thats my scenario :P

glider
16th January 2010, 08:52 PM
I believe the customs websites has info on the specific percantages they will charge, I believe they charge you tax on both the item, and on the cost of postage

poita
16th January 2010, 08:55 PM
its only on the item itself Toby.

When i got my wheels sent over, they tried to charge me.

they didnt know what 'cartidge' was. you know how hard it was to explain to a kiwi it is freight

glider
16th January 2010, 08:57 PM
ok fine pete I will go look on the website and prove you wrong :P

*will edit this post with info IF i find it*

How is the value of goods calculated?

The Customs value of goods imported into Australia is based on information (in particular, the value of the goods) as advised by the importer.

When the goods are valued at more than A$1000 threshold, or include alcohol or tobacco products of any value, a Customs value will be determined that is used as the basis for calculating the value of any duty and/or GST.

The Customs value is combined with other items (customs duty, international transport and insurance costs and, where applicable, Wine Equalisation Tax) to produce the value of the taxable importation (VoTI). The Customs value is equivalent to the Australian currency purchase price of the goods.

from page 3 of
http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingGoodsByPostFAQ.pdf

poita
16th January 2010, 09:01 PM
lol well i got out of it then

gmonkey
18th January 2010, 02:36 AM
yep when i got my wheels sent from UK i thought id be under the $1000 threshold but then the postage factor came into it and pushed it over 1000...

i paid $280 customs fees for something worth $1200 roughly

Nurb608
18th January 2010, 08:53 AM
yep when i got my wheels sent from UK i thought id be under the $1000 threshold but then the postage factor came into it and pushed it over 1000...

Thats strange, they aren't meant to add the postage into the amount unless the initial purchase price was over $1,000.00AUD!

tomtom
18th January 2010, 10:21 AM
lol well i got out of it then

As did i :lol:

you lose lol.

I had my seller write out a receipt stipulating the item price and postage seperately. Even if they were suppose to combine, they probably glanced over it "item cost" and were like "under $1000. Cool." *lets through*.

Hoss
18th January 2010, 11:10 AM
I got pinged for $1100 worth of stuff from Regal and got charged about $280 import duty.

dutchy
18th January 2010, 12:21 PM
So they should have made separate invoices. One for the goods and one for shipping to avoid this problem.

gmonkey
18th January 2010, 02:02 PM
So they should have made separate invoices. One for the goods and one for shipping to avoid this problem.

shipping of the item 'legally' has to be included in the same item

Nurb608
18th January 2010, 02:16 PM
shipping of the item 'legally' has to be included in the same item

Correct, but they should be on 2 different lines, and as per Toby's post, "When the goods are valued at more than A$1000 threshold" then the postage value comes into working out the customs charges.

gmonkey
18th January 2010, 02:28 PM
ok ok this is how you work out customs duty fees

you take your item e.g.

1200 worth
customs tax is 5% of value of item
so $60
then they add that and your shipping/insurance fee onto your original item worth (lets say this example is $200)
that is your 'value of taxable importation' ($1460)
then GST is slapped onto it at 10% ($146)
now they take your GST value + your customs tax value = your fee payable
$206 in this situation

AfterBurner
18th January 2010, 04:37 PM
Some dudes will put less if u ask nicely, or use the "Gift" option... Even 2nd hand - pretty sure that gets around it also...

boorny88
18th January 2010, 04:50 PM
so when i buy my turbo and shit form the uk i ask the nicely to make the cost on the reciept less then it actually is and to say its a gift

Nurb608
18th January 2010, 04:51 PM
so when i buy my turbo and shit form the uk i ask the nicely to make the cost on the reciept less then it actually is and to say its a gift

pm sent ;)

OzStick
18th January 2010, 05:06 PM
Charges on imported items is always a contentious issue and in my view, most of the info available to the layman is purposely ambiguous.

I frequently import goods from the UK, US and Asia and nearly always keep the total value below the $1000 mark to prevent Customs from taking an interest.

For those who are not sure, take note that the $1000 value INCLUDES freight costs. There are two "fees" charged should Customs decide to asses your shipment, which are Duty and GST.

Duty is usually charged at 5% (depends on the category of the goods being imported) and is charged on the full amount of the Shipping Invoice.
GST is charged at 10% and applied to the declared value of the goods ONLY, plus Duty.

In addition to this, depending who the carrier is you may be charged a Broker's fee. This is because the carrier uses its own Customs Broker who kindly do all the paperwork for you to keep thrings running smoothly.

One more thing that is very important and many people overlook - make sure the person/company you are dealing with accurately states the value of the shipment and includes an invoice supporting that with the shipment. It's all well and good for them to offer putting in a bogus invoice understating the value, but it's YOU taking the risk, not them. If you get caught, at best you will be fined for misrepresenting the value, at worst Customs will sieze your goods AND fine you!

I hope I don't scare too many people off, as importing goods is not that difficult as long as you know the process BEFORE going ahead.

Nurb608
18th January 2010, 05:22 PM
For those who are not sure, take note that the $1000 value INCLUDES freight costs. There are two "fees" charged should Customs decide to asses your shipment, which are Duty and GST.

Can you point me to where it says freight is included, don't doubt you but everything i've read states goods that exceed the threshold?

AfterBurner
18th January 2010, 05:26 PM
I think they charge the duty on the "Whole Amount" which would include freight... Can't remember if they charged me but i don't think so...

Nurb608
18th January 2010, 05:28 PM
I think they charge the duty on the "Whole Amount" which would include freight... Can't remember if they charged me but i don't think so...

Yeah, they do, but I was of the understanding that the goods had to be over $1,000AUD in the first place, then they add the freight on to get the duty etc.

OzStick
18th January 2010, 05:38 PM
Can you point me to where it says freight is included, don't doubt you but everything i've read states goods that exceed the threshold?

I have to admit it's been a while since I've had a shipment assesed and from what I could find on the Customs website I may be wrong!

Here's a link to a PDF doc called Importing Goods By Post FAQ: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingGoodsByPostFAQ.pdf
Have a look at the table on page 3 and it clearly shows that Duty is calculated on the goods value ONLY. I hope this helps you!

Nurb608
18th January 2010, 09:16 PM
I have to admit it's been a while since I've had a shipment assesed and from what I could find on the Customs website I may be wrong!

Here's a link to a PDF doc called Importing Goods By Post FAQ: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingGoodsByPostFAQ.pdf
Have a look at the table on page 3 and it clearly shows that Duty is calculated on the goods value ONLY. I hope this helps you!

That's all I could find too