PDA

View Full Version : Sway Bars

BEK-46P
15th January 2010, 06:30 PM
I've been thinking of getting one as my next mod but don't know that much about them.

What are the pros and cons?
Are they worth getting for daily driving?
Do I need a front swar bar as well?
Do they affect ride comfort?
What are recommended brands & models for the AH?

sooty
15th January 2010, 06:36 PM
I've been thinking of getting one as my next mod but don't know that much about them.

What are the pros and cons? Drastically reduces understeer and improves turn in
Are they worth getting for daily driving? Definitely, I haven't felt any detrimental effects
Do I need a front swar bar as well? Nah, not so much
Do they affect ride comfort? Not that I have felt, and definitely nothing major if they do
What are recommended brands & models for the AH? Whiteline adjustable, $296, and can fit it yourself in about 1.5 hours with a mate, dead easy

these are just my opinion, had mine for quite a while now, well recommended

MAD-16V
15th January 2010, 06:38 PM
I have a whiteline fixed in my car.

Pro - Sharper turn in response , Flatter throughout corners - People behind you point and say what is that thing under the car.

Con - I believe he sells fruit.

Mine did get a little bumpier after I fitted it , But its not terrible.

To give you an idea of how much it stiffens up the car ,
I can jack the front right hand wheel up from the standard jacking point , and the right hand rear tyre comes off the ground too!

I talked to the guys at whiteline about a front swaybar , And I was told that if its a daily driver and not a track car, Its not needed.

BEK-46P
15th January 2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks mate.

What exactly is getting 'adjusted'? Why would one buy the non-adjustables?

sooty
15th January 2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks mate.

What exactly is getting 'adjusted'? Why would one buy the non-adjustables?

Just change the location of two bolts on the sway bar links, a definite diy job. I got the adjustable so you can change it to suit your driving style, it's only $30 cheaper for the non adjustable.

MAD-16V
15th January 2010, 06:49 PM
I think you will find that the majority of people who buy the adjustable bars , Set them and never reset them.

Again , It's more of a track car feature , That lets you adjust the stiffness of the bar.

BEK-46P
15th January 2010, 06:58 PM
I think you will find that the majority of people who buy the adjustable bars , Set them and never reset them.

Again , It's more of a track car feature , That lets you adjust the stiffness of the bar.

I will look into the non-adjustables then. How do they Eibachs compare to the Whitelines?

Nurb608
15th January 2010, 06:59 PM
Just change the location of two bolts on the sway bar links, a definite diy job. I got the adjustable so you can change it to suit your driving style, it's only $30 cheaper for the non adjustable.

Agree here, and you may change the stifness of the bar depending on springs/shocks too, always good to have the choice.

tomtom
15th January 2010, 07:20 PM
Wait 1 more week and you'll have another person's opinion :D

mmahle
15th January 2010, 07:31 PM
How much did you guys pay for them, just asking?

Stance
15th January 2010, 07:50 PM

And where from ?
Thanks

Nurb608
15th January 2010, 08:24 PM

And where from ?
Thanks

Speak to greg off here, gslrallysport ;)

gmonkey
15th January 2010, 09:24 PM
Just under $300 they are from GSL

front antiroll bars are pointless gimicks on the astras.. they arent needed as close enough to firewall to create rigidity

BEK-46P
15th January 2010, 09:38 PM
LINKY (http://whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=BHR75&page=1)

Whiteline Swaybar 24mm-heavy duty (non-adjustable). $285

gmonkey
15th January 2010, 09:42 PM
when i said $300 that was including postage (to WA) and adjustable :p

BEK-46P
15th January 2010, 09:45 PM
when i said $300 that was including postage (to WA) and adjustable :p

I stand corrected!

I take it you bought one off him?

gmonkey
15th January 2010, 09:45 PM
not yet, but been quoted :) will get one soon

Corsa_Rob
15th January 2010, 11:01 PM
Get one mate, they're awesome. Got mine off Greg and am really happy with it. Possibly one of the best 'bang for buck' mods you can do.

Neeko
16th January 2010, 11:15 AM
Get one mate, they're awesome. Got mine off Greg and am really happy with it. Possibly one of the best 'bang for buck' mods you can do.

Especially in a car that weighs less then a tonne ;)
did u get adjustable or fixed?

Corsa_Rob
16th January 2010, 12:23 PM
Adjustable, i've got it on the 'mid' setting which is perfect i think, no need to adjust it but its good to have the option.

kabel
16th January 2010, 12:48 PM
I have the Whiteline adjustable RARB fitted to mine and a fixed one fitted to my girlfriends Astra,for the extra $ 20 go for the adjustable one.

chrissn89
16th January 2010, 08:15 PM
I have the Whiteline adjustable RARB fitted to mine and a fixed one fitted to my girlfriends Astra,for the extra $ 20 go for the adjustable one.
I got the adjustable one on my astra, improved turn in greatly :)

J
16th January 2010, 10:16 PM

Yes Corsa_Rob, a RARB (rear anti-roll bar) has to be the best handling mod for any FWD car that are factory-tuned to understeer at the limit.

BEK-46P, just to give you an idea: my Whiteline RARB, combined with many other suspension mods, helped my SRi-T out-corner a lazy stock-looking Evo 7/8/9 a few nights ago. But if you are on a budget, a RARB is definitely the best place to start for improving handling, with little or no sacrifice to ride quality.

BEK-46P
16th January 2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info, guys.

Can I install it myself? What's involved?

HoldenAstra
16th January 2010, 10:35 PM
a drill

and here is the instruction link at the bottom of this page:http://whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=BHR75Z

JR
16th January 2010, 11:23 PM
got my whiteline rear swaybar fitted n supplied by MRT Performance in Rhodes. cost about $250 a couple of years back.

definately recommend it.
front swaybars r no good for front wheel drive cars, especially da astra chasis design.

go for it :D

HoldenAstra
17th January 2010, 10:29 AM
yes, MRT, they have free installation for whiteline sway bar this month.

$250, that's quite cheap! I wish they have that price today!

mania
17th January 2010, 11:47 AM
Just under $300 they are from GSL

front antiroll bars are pointless gimicks on the astras.. they arent needed as close enough to firewall to create rigidity

Think you're talking strut braces there ;).

But yea, adjustable rear sway bar is the way to go... don't bother upgrading the front, there is one or two available (I think Courtenay sell some - although it might just be the convertible's 24mm sway bar sold on as an aftermarket accessory), but really the only result would be increased understeer. Not the way to go..

BEK-46P
17th January 2010, 11:52 AM
yes, MRT, they have free installation for whiteline sway bar this month.

Blonde question: do you need to buy it off them for them to install it for free?

mania
17th January 2010, 12:26 PM
Haha I'm going to say yes, but I like your thinking.

HoldenAstra
17th January 2010, 01:20 PM
haha, are the people really so nice today? no, from my experience, most places want to rip you off.

I think you have to buy from there, that's a package deal.

HoldenAstra
17th January 2010, 01:44 PM
my concern is : is it road legal? will the cop give you a fine or defect notice?

coz the ground clearance is quite low with the adjustable one on.

mania
17th January 2010, 01:50 PM
In WA at least they're basic mods that are allowed without approval - I checked. And the bar is low - but it's over the 10cm required - again, in this state. Cops won't give you any though..

gmonkey
17th January 2010, 03:38 PM
Think you're talking strut braces there ;).

But yea, adjustable rear sway bar is the way to go... don't bother upgrading the front, there is one or two available (I think Courtenay sell some - although it might just be the convertible's 24mm sway bar sold on as an aftermarket accessory), but really the only result would be increased understeer. Not the way to go..

yeh sway bar oops :p

jastra
17th January 2010, 05:38 PM
In WA at least they're basic mods that are allowed without approval - I checked. And the bar is low - but it's over the 10cm required - again, in this state. Cops won't give you any though..

What about insurance?

mania
17th January 2010, 05:45 PM
You should let them know, as with any mod...

Only really comes in to play if you write off a bentley or something, but if you do... the insurance companies will go over your car with a fine tooth comb looking for an escape clause :p. RAC didn't increase my premiums..

gslrallysport
18th January 2010, 01:24 PM
LINKY (http://whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=BHR75&page=1)

Whiteline Swaybar 24mm-heavy duty (non-adjustable). $285
Here's the adjustable link:
http://whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=BHR75Z

Our price on the adj one is $295, and freight will vary from $8-$25 depending on where you are...

Cheers,
Greg

HoldenAstra
18th January 2010, 02:11 PM
Here's the adjustable link:
http://whiteline.com.au/product_detail.php?part_number=BHR75Z

Our price on the adj one is $295, and freight will vary from $8-$25 depending on where you are...

Cheers,
Greg

non adjustable = which setting(which hole) on the adjustable?
THX

mmahle
19th January 2010, 10:42 PM
Speaking of the modifications talk... I spoke to RACV the other day about my modifications, and they said they didn't need to know, and if I had an accident, they would just replace the stock standard car as it was.

Now I'm thinking that's not correct......

gmonkey
20th January 2010, 02:09 AM
they wont cover ur mods (and if they do only upto the value of $750, thats RAC atleast..) trick is to do agreed value and just set it higher :)

tomtom
20th January 2010, 09:39 AM
sway bar arrived this morning :smile5: unfortunately I wont have time to fit it until next weekend :(

HoldenAstra
20th January 2010, 08:55 PM
got email reply from MRT:

The Whiteline adjustable rear bar is $320 while the solid is $285.

Both would be fitted free if performed before the end of January based on the current promo -

gslrallysport
21st January 2010, 09:35 AM
Yep, so they're basically charging full RRP on the bars, and fitting them for free. Overall, if you can't fit them yourself, that's a bloody good deal!

jastra
22nd January 2010, 12:58 PM
got mine yesterday! putting it on on monday!

tomtom
28th January 2010, 11:11 AM
got mine yesterday! putting it on on monday!

lol fitting im chucking mine on Sunday :D

*highfive*

jastra
28th January 2010, 11:19 AM
lol fitting im chucking mine on Sunday :D

*highfive*
lol what? :P
its awesome by the way very happy you notice the difference straight away.

tomtom
28th January 2010, 01:29 PM
lol what? :P
its awesome by the way very happy you notice the difference straight away.

ah shit. your "monday" was this monday. lol my bad that and I typoed like a mofo.

jastra
28th January 2010, 05:14 PM
ah shit. Your "monday" was this monday. Lol my bad that and i typoed like a mofo.

:p

tomtom
31st January 2010, 02:43 PM
rear sway bar on!

Just took it out for a test drive around town.

Car does feel tighter (this is at day to day speeds).

Didn't get a chance to fang it as its 2:40pm and theres plenty of cars running about. Will have a go later.

i did go through 1 roundabout and my own street briskly though and... it did tickle the old chest organ from surprise. Feels as tho the balance of the car through the turns is much better. Previously, esepcially on track, the front felt like it was being pushed straight (something that I blamed the rear end for doing). Now it feels (from the 3 minute drive just now lol) that it tucks in much better.

Will post up more observations as I get more driving done in my thread.

Took my old man and I bit over 2 hours to sort but that was down to whiteline's instructions being a bit... stupid at places. The D brackets and the sway you should put on before lowering the car - just dont do the end links.

:)

BEK-46P
31st January 2010, 03:20 PM
So, based on that three minute drive, is it worth forking out $300 for? :P

Ice
31st January 2010, 04:18 PM

yes for sure ! ive the adjustable on mine and makes such a big difference....

tomtom
31st January 2010, 04:48 PM

It'd be more useful than spending $3000 on a bodykit :P

tomtom
31st January 2010, 05:09 PM
seriosu question:

The L link has 2 holes. Any diff with either? I just followed hte picture in the instructions and fitted the one ENGINE side.

I'm thinking its just for fitment? As in they porlly use that same bracket for other bars for other cars.

Nurb608
31st January 2010, 10:03 PM
seriosu question:

The L link has 2 holes. Any diff with either? I just followed hte picture in the instructions and fitted the one ENGINE side.

I'm thinking its just for fitment? As in they porlly use that same bracket for other bars for other cars.

Depends on what setting you have it on as to which hole you use in the L bracket. It's to keep the clearance in the back end ;)

tomtom
1st February 2010, 09:29 AM
thanks for confirming its a fitment/clearance thing Rory :lol: