PDA

View Full Version : another newbie

dutchy
15th January 2010, 02:34 AM
Hey everyone, I thought it was time to register myself as i've been looking at this site for a while now and have seen some great tips from other members that helped me sorting out minor problems I had with my car (an '03 sri-t). :thumbs: Funny to see we all have the same problems though !!!

My car is a work in progress and the need/hunger for upgraded and custom made parts seems never-ending. Next up is a turbo exchange but I'm not exactly sure what to do or where to go so if anybody has some experience or tips (sunny coast area), please let me know.

Cheers :givemebeer:
Dutchy (yes, I'm Dutch)

gmonkey
15th January 2010, 02:37 AM
welcome to the site mate!! :)

rodsfromday
15th January 2010, 06:40 AM
Welcome to OA!!

brc
15th January 2010, 09:18 AM
Welcome sir.

btm
15th January 2010, 09:34 AM
welcome welcome!

CNBLU
15th January 2010, 10:26 AM
G'day matey

guy 27
15th January 2010, 10:44 AM
welcome to OpelAus

ope11
15th January 2010, 11:10 AM
where are on the sunshine coast,,i hve silver sri-t 03 as well..what's done to ur's,as i can maybe help :) ope11

boorny88
15th January 2010, 11:47 AM
welcome mate hope you enjoy

dutchy
15th January 2010, 12:37 PM
Thanks for your kind welcome guys.

So, my car, it's a star silver 2003 sri-t as I mentioned bought new. The first things that found their way under the bonnet were a hard boost pipe, larger air intake and a 3.6 bar fpr from (all from Mtech - Holland). A K&N filter was dropped into the derestricted box. This was followed by a Sachs uprated clutch and a custom remap by BPS (Cleveland). The 3.6 bar fpr was ditched during the tune as it caused heavy over-fuelling of the car. The standard plugs were changed for the iridium ones. A few months later, the standard intercooler was swapped for a custom made item including 2.5 inch ss pipe work. A 3 inch custom made full ss exhaust was also added with an extra silencer in between to keep noise levels legal. New custom made drive shafts were also made. The guys at AM Auto Services fitted a slimline Spal fan in between the intercooler and radiator to keep things cool and some adjustable Koni's all round. It's got a very nice looking Apexi boost gauge sitting in the right hand corner on the dash. I'm still running the original turbo with 24 psi overboost, holding at 19 slowly dropping to 14 psi, but I think it's on it's way out (sounds like an owl at times but there is no smoke yet......). It's currently got 152 kw atw / 325 Nm and that's with a worn turbo. Boost drops off very quickly but that might be due to the actuator. It's not bad but it used to have much more power. Engine internals are still original.

I heard that Mr. Turbo in the Gold Coast is very good but haven't spoken to anyone yet that has experience with them. Mr. Turbo doesn't have a website either. I was thinking of having the original turbo reconditioned with uprated stuff. As there is not a lot of space left in between the engine and the radiator, a different brand of turbo and manifold might not fit (due to the large intercooler, the radiator has been moved backwards in order to fit the Spal fan in between). Does anybody know them ?

Cheers,
Dutchy

auzvectra
15th January 2010, 03:52 PM
nice to see some decent work there ;).
1st off, ditch the stock turbo it's crap (and they are over boosting it anway with those levels by the sound of it) and drop a vxr turbo in.
the vxr turbo costs round the 1200 mark landed, and will still be 20% higher flow then a high flowed stockie ;).

mr turbo are good, i get parts from them, but neva had work done there.

there is room for a bigger turbo, trust me :D.

i have a garrett gt35/40r on mine, hehehe.

dutchy
16th January 2010, 11:07 PM
Thx auzvectra. I've seen that some other members also have these vxr units. Will be ordering one tomorrow :smile5:

delemonte
17th January 2010, 01:43 AM
Sounds like you're not trying to cut too many corners ;) Good to see

PS. What are the dimensions of the intercooler and where'd you get that done?

delemonte
17th January 2010, 01:43 AM
Oh, and welcome to the site! :p

dutchy
17th January 2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks delemonte.

Overall dimensions are
wide; 570 mm excluding inlet & outlet (630 mm including inlet & outlet)
Height; 300 mm
Thick; 80 mm
3 inch inlet & outlet
2.5 inch ss pipes

I took my car to BPS (Bayside Performance Services http://www.bpschiptek.com ) in Cleveland and they had "Innovative Exhaust Systems" if I remember their name correctly, to make the intercooler and pipe work. These are the same guys that also made the exhaust. At first, I drove without the front fan as that didn't fit anymore but the car was running a bit hot and I got sick of turning the aircon on and off to lower the temps. AM Auto Services ( http://www.amauto.com.au ) fitted a spal slimline fan. They cut out a bit more of the front bar and bumper so they could move the intercooler forwards. The radiator was moved backwards. It all works perfectly now though it is a very tight fit.

CNBLU
17th January 2010, 11:28 AM
Its no wonder your turbo is shot, 24psi overboost is way to high. Drop in a VXR turbo and you'll get good results.

Dont forget to get an uprated fuel pump as the standard one shits itself when pushed to hard :swg:

dutchy
17th January 2010, 12:40 PM
HAHAHA, I like overboost (& beer :givemebeer:). It's difficult to get it to overboost only to 21 psi and holding at 19. I think that the actuator is also on it's last legs. Yeah, will be getting the vxr unit.

Some pics of the intercooler, bay and exhaust. Hope this works.

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac8/dutchy_02/car/1.jpg
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac8/dutchy_02/car/3.jpg
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac8/dutchy_02/car/2.jpg
http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac8/dutchy_02/car/4.jpg

ope11
17th January 2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks for your kind welcome guys.

So, my car, it's a star silver 2003 sri-t as I mentioned bought new. The first things that found their way under the bonnet were a hard boost pipe, larger air intake and a 3.6 bar fpr from (all from Mtech - Holland). A K&N filter was dropped into the derestricted box. This was followed by a Sachs uprated clutch and a custom remap by BPS (Cleveland). The 3.6 bar fpr was ditched during the tune as it caused heavy over-fuelling of the car. The standard plugs were changed for the iridium ones. A few months later, the standard intercooler was swapped for a custom made item including 2.5 inch ss pipe work. A 3 inch custom made full ss exhaust was also added with an extra silencer in between to keep noise levels legal. New custom made drive shafts were also made. The guys at AM Auto Services fitted a slimline Spal fan in between the intercooler and radiator to keep things cool and some adjustable Koni's all round. It's got a very nice looking Apexi boost gauge sitting in the right hand corner on the dash. I'm still running the original turbo with 24 psi overboost, holding at 19 slowly dropping to 14 psi, but I think it's on it's way out (sounds like an owl at times but there is no smoke yet......). It's currently got 152 kw atw / 325 Nm and that's with a worn turbo. Boost drops off very quickly but that might be due to the actuator. It's not bad but it used to have much more power. Engine internals are still original.

I heard that Mr. Turbo in the Gold Coast is very good but haven't spoken to anyone yet that has experience with them. Mr. Turbo doesn't have a website either. I was thinking of having the original turbo reconditioned with uprated stuff. As there is not a lot of space left in between the engine and the radiator, a different brand of turbo and manifold might not fit (due to the large intercooler, the radiator has been moved backwards in order to fit the Spal fan in between). Does anybody know them ?

Cheers,
Dutchy
i'd be interested in know ing abit more, i have talked to this guy at clevelend and don't think he know's much,, maybe skylines and commadores he might know but would suggest not to go back to him,because some of us are running stock turbo's with everything done , been on the dyno a few times, in the past ,first two done weren't actuate becuse u can change the settings for HP, at the last wheel on wide bay they had a dyno there which was a new one,which can't be played with,i got 122.4kw@126kph 400.8 N.M @114kph and i have owned mine for 7 years with same stock turbo...:smile5:

ope11
17th January 2010, 01:04 PM
and yeh i forgot i still have my cross over pipe too .:)

CNBLU
17th January 2010, 01:08 PM
152kwatw is realistic. I had that when i had my stock turbo, just depends on the map you have. Holding 19psi?? Forget that!! Thats not realistic!

With dyno day coming up will be interesting to see what my boost holds at around 5500-6000rpm....

chrissn89
17th January 2010, 01:21 PM
Welcome to OA, you've got nice list of mods. Theres a few meets coming up hope to see you here.

dutchy
17th January 2010, 01:25 PM
It's been on the dyno a few times while I was there. No fiddling around, I stood right there watching everything on the screen when he did a re-tune after it got the new intercooler and new exhaust. Got a print out that says 150.0 kw and max torque 324.9 nm. This is atw. They used a new dyno dynamics. It's a long drive from the sunny coast but i've been very happy and had no problems with them. They also replaced the clutch as that went right after they did a tune the very first time. It is overboosting for a few seconds to 24, then holding 19 till a bit halfway through the revs and slowly dropping to 14 at max revs. The actuator is tightened up nearly to the top (13 threads showing) and I've been driving like this for 2 and a half years now. The turbo seems on it's way out and the actuator too though. Engine runs fine, compression is fine, no leaks, no oil usage. I do give it a service very regularly.

There are no other companies in this area that can do a custom tune as far as I know so where to go then when the new turbo arrives ?

CNBLU
17th January 2010, 01:34 PM
It's been on the dyno a few times while I was there. No fiddling around, I stood right there watching everything on the screen when he did a re-tune after it got the new intercooler and new exhaust. Got a print out that says 150.0 kw and max torque 324.9 nm. This is atw. They used a new dyno dynamics. It's a long drive from the sunny coast but i've been very happy and had no problems with them. They also replaced the clutch as that went right after they did a tune the very first time. It is overboosting for a few seconds to 24, then holding 19 till a bit halfway through the revs and slowly dropping to 14 at max revs. The actuator is tightened up nearly to the top (13 threads showing) and I've been driving like this for 2 and a half years now. The turbo seems on it's way out and the actuator too though. Engine runs fine, compression is fine, no leaks, no oil usage. I do give it a service very regularly.

There are no other companies in this area that can do a custom tune as far as I know so where to go then when the new turbo arrives ?

If your happy with them then why go else where? Can i ask why you have 13 threads showing on your actuator?? Why did they wind it up so far?

ope11
17th January 2010, 01:44 PM
i just heard that he's blown a couple thats all,what he does is clear's the computer completly and starts again,maybe he's learnt from he's mistakes..also intersested in why so far? it is hard to find someone especailly when u have a custom tune done,because u will have to go back to him.if u looked at the tuning side of things u can get more torque with just downloaded program,from auzvectra maybe.i live up here in maryborough,and would go to auzvectra before any one else. :)

dutchy
17th January 2010, 02:26 PM
If your happy with them then why go else where? Can i ask why you have 13 threads showing on your actuator?? Why did they wind it up so far?

I'm very happy with them but I was just wondering after seeing ope11's reply. I have not been to bps for 4 months or so because the car drives sweet so I might have missed something in the mean time. After the last tune, they wound it up and had 9 or 10 threads showing on the bottom. Holding boost at 19 that way. Actuator is getting worse which I notice due to lower holding of boost so I slowly wind it up more and more. Am now on 13 threads. The vxr turbo will come with an uprated actuator so that'll be good. At least I know that the z20let engine can have 24 psi of boost without blowing up straight away !

dutchy
17th January 2010, 02:35 PM
i just heard that he's blown a couple thats all,what he does is clear's the computer completly and starts again,maybe he's learnt from he's mistakes..also intersested in why so far? it is hard to find someone especailly when u have a custom tune done,because u will have to go back to him.if u looked at the tuning side of things u can get more torque with just downloaded program,from auzvectra maybe.i live up here in maryborough,and would go to auzvectra before any one else. :)

If you do a lot of cars, it might be possible that these things happen and u blow up an engine. Looking at his place, there's always a lot of Porsche's, Holden's and Nissan's up there and he is getting a lot of power out of these. He indeed clears the original programm and has, I believe, a German map which he re-writes for the car depending on the mods. I did have some errors coming up after the various tunes which he fixed straight away without any problems. He also had someone from Holden coming over with a tech 2 thingie to clear some codes. So I never had any bad experiences with them at all.

CNBLU
17th January 2010, 02:43 PM
So its not a cutom tune? Its a flash?

lol tech2 thingy. you dont need to be from holden to that mate :)

Whichever the case you sound like you have the right platform to get some good power out the z20let. I would ask why does he need to boost it so high? ive had my car on the dyno with a vxr turbo and anything above 20psi really dosent make any power....

dutchy
17th January 2010, 02:54 PM
the ecu is flashed indeed and parameters are changed. Does that qualify for a "custom tune" or is that a "custom flash" ?! HAHAHA The Holden guy that came over is a mate him. I had an error where it said that my car was doing a 125 kmph where in fact I was parked in the garage. Had something to do with a wheel speed sensor. They also needed them to reset the steering angle sensor (was not aware that the steering has a sensor !). If I have any lower boost, the car feels very slugish. As will know, looking at your specs, once you are used to the feeling of getting kicked in the back when accelerating, you never want to go back. Guess a vxr turbo will be set at 19psi holding to redline ?

CNBLU
17th January 2010, 02:58 PM
With the right parts yes it will

Good luck and keep us posted.

ope11
17th January 2010, 03:08 PM
i know when i was talking with him(6years ago) he said he was haveing alittle trouble with them, as to why he had to call out holden. for ur car.. ah well..
at least u have something to work at as cnblu has said. maybe check this site to see if any one else can sugest where to go.some times u might have to travel to find the right person..any way hope to see u on some of the cruzs,i did ask where sunshine coast are u too.u up this way or closer to bris. :)

dutchy
17th January 2010, 03:17 PM
I'm in Noosa.
Will keep you posted. Mods will go as far till I blow up an engine.......then it's time for a rebuild :ihih:

glider
17th January 2010, 04:45 PM
if you blow an engine I'll buy whats left of it :D

dutchy
17th January 2010, 10:59 PM
lol, now i'll have to see how much the zlet can really take........................

ope11
17th January 2010, 11:57 PM
i'm pretty sure with stock internals,engine should handle about 260hp-270hp,stock turbo about 220hp -230hp, so as u can see definately change the turbo. hey Auzvectra that's about right.
anyway hope that helps with what u want out of ur engine. happy moding :) and glider i should get the parts ,lol,i'm closer haha :)

"i'll race for um"lol

CNBLU
18th January 2010, 12:00 AM
Pretty sure standard zlet should be able to handle close to 320bhp without having internals done. I only had ARP rod bolts put in as these are the weakest link when driving the car at high rpm.

ope11
18th January 2010, 12:08 AM
never heard of a figue with that much without changing interanls,270 was just approx,without blowing ur engine,320hp would be great with stock stuff,but i don't think i would do that,unless u want to blow it up.there's only so far u can push an engine. :)

and u'd have to change turbo anyway.:)

CNBLU
18th January 2010, 09:20 AM
Agreed with changing the turbo. But its boost that kills the engine, so if you can get it breathe right (head ported, uprated inlet manifold, uprated exhaust manifold) and keep the boost to around 20psi you should be safe.

dutchy
18th January 2010, 12:28 PM
Agreed with changing the turbo. But its boost that kills the engine, so if you can get it breathe right (head ported, uprated inlet manifold, uprated exhaust manifold) and keep the boost to around 20psi you should be safe.

300 bhp and 20 psi on standard internals should be ok if all is set up properly. I know it can handle 24 psi without blowing up so 20 psi is just a soft breeze. New turbo on it's way :smile5:. Will also order the injectors and new fuel pump in a few weeks.

dutchy
19th January 2010, 07:06 PM
On OpelAus, who actually has the most power in his car ?

ope11
19th January 2010, 07:13 PM
;auzvectra might be able to answer this one maybe :)

auzvectra
19th January 2010, 07:37 PM

that would be MR CORSA, aka Tony ;).
with his corsa sri witha lot of "custom" work done.

poita
19th January 2010, 07:43 PM

Mr Corsa by a long way.

and that thing is off its tree, so's the car ;)

CNBLU
19th January 2010, 09:37 PM
;auzvectra might be able to answer this one maybe :)

lol made me chuckle

ope11
19th January 2010, 09:38 PM
lol made me chuckle

Why

Neeko
20th January 2010, 10:03 PM
Why

because tony is at 550hp lol
and now apprently at 700

poita
20th January 2010, 10:06 PM
745hp last time i heard neeko ;)

Neeko
20th January 2010, 10:27 PM
745hp last time i heard neeko ;)
good grief

lets start a "4 Wheel Drive Corsa Fund" for tony

ope11
20th January 2010, 10:39 PM
lol made me chuckle

neeko, have a other look to why i asked;why ;)
that's cool that tony has that, that's reason i asked auzvectra ,because i wasn't sure :)
Quiestion still stand's "why"CNBLU :)

dutchy
23rd January 2010, 03:14 AM
300 bhp and 20 psi on standard internals should be ok if all is set up properly. I know it can handle 24 psi without blowing up so 20 psi is just a soft breeze. New turbo on it's way :smile5:. Will also order the injectors and new fuel pump in a few weeks.

New turbo NOT on it's way :cryin:

Order was cancelled, not exactly sure why but had something to do with creditcard payment. Good thing is that I am about to place a new order and will personally pick up the vxr turbo including the uprated actuator, high flow fuel pump, injectors, maf sensor, new rear bcs, nuts/bolts/gaskets etc... :ihih:
btw, has anyone used bonnet lifters ? Are they any good ?

CNBLU
23rd January 2010, 10:21 AM
Ive got them and i think alot of others do to. Very effective mod. Theres no rod in the way!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/Hott_For_You/gor-29.jpg

dutchy
23rd January 2010, 11:42 PM
Looks nice !

dutchy
17th February 2010, 10:44 PM
WHOOAAA, new turbo, fuel pump & injectors have arrived :smile5: Now just need to find the time to have everything installed and live without a car for a couple of days :cryin:

ope11
18th February 2010, 12:06 AM
that gunna hurt alot,shit i missed driving mine while in hospital :0

but when ur back on the road,it will be a new toy for ya ;)

dutchy
18th February 2010, 11:12 AM
i'll be cruising the Coast on a pushbike for a week !

dutchy
2nd March 2010, 11:21 AM
I'm getting the new bits installed tomorrow :D

dutchy
10th March 2010, 08:07 PM
:D My car is ready tomorrow. It's about time as my legs hurt from cycling for a week !
Had a service done, new engine mounts, vxr turbo, bigger injectors, uprated fuel pump, re-tune and some small bits 'n' pieces installed. Can't wait to get it back and do some right foot testing on the way back to the sunny coast.

auzvectra
10th March 2010, 10:25 PM
did you get it all done at bayside?

see if you can post up a dynosheet, with power and a/f's. would be interesting to see.

dutchy
10th March 2010, 10:44 PM
yep, all done at bps. I'll put everything up in the members car's section in a few days time.

dutchy
12th March 2010, 04:29 PM
Got my car back today and its AWESOME !!! Don't have the 24 psi overboost anymore but boosting at 19psi and holding at 19 till redline. Soooooo much smoother with the new turbocharger. Deffo got a bit more power and torque but have no graph yet. There's just one little thing they are going to look into and that is that it holds back, feels like a hesitation, in 4th and 5th gear only (at not so legal speeds). Not a real worry though and it's due to the new injectors and fuel map. Just needs some adjustments. I also got a high flow fuel pump installed and can hear it running. Not very loud but certainly louder than the original. I'M A HAPPY MAN................ :swg:

btm
12th March 2010, 04:38 PM
I'M A HAPPY MAN................ :swg:
you certainly sound it! :D

nice work!

chrissn89
12th March 2010, 04:43 PM
Awesome work mate, glad they looked after you :) I so want to do this to my car ;) Put alas moving out of home is higher on the priority list atm.