PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Design

BEK-46P
11th January 2010, 08:19 PM
Had this discussion with a mate of mine on the weekend, thought I might post it here.

We were discussing why the 'everyday' car manufacturers couldn't just design something that resembled a Ferrari or a Lambo, put it into production and sell it for a fraction of the cost of a real supercar.

Is it a question of budget that would restrict a thing from happening? Coming from a purely aesthetic perspective, why would a better-looking car justify a hefty price tag? Could they not design a sexier looking chasis in the same time it would take to design something like a Nissan Micra? Is it the market they're designing for? What factors do you think would come into play here?

I always thought Toyota were sorta onto something when they discussed the latter day Celicas, the chasis (to me anyway) seemed to echo a bit of a Lambo or a Ferrari.

traveltravel
11th January 2010, 08:34 PM
most of us dont like rice, maybe you do so you might enjoy a 2 or 3 litre engine in a supercar looking car, if i want a supercar ill buy a super car, if not ill keep up with the jones

guy 27
11th January 2010, 08:37 PM
they have done it. look at the skyline R35. Supercar at a much cheaper price.

UnKnOwN
11th January 2010, 11:10 PM
my guess is that the "supercar" low sleek designs are probably not feasible or practical for everyday use, eg. 5 seats, decent boot, head/leg rooms etc

BEK-46P
11th January 2010, 11:29 PM
So by that logic, the uglier the car, the more "practical"?

Sorry, can you tell I'm bored :swg:

traveltravel
12th January 2010, 12:35 AM
define practical

gmonkey
12th January 2010, 01:45 AM
its more they design for an open market... they cater for headroom leg room boot room and now days the biggest selling point fuel efficiency and then they mould around the idea of it, the sketch will always come first followed by a concept (which always looks awesome and nice) but then they through in the requirements for practicality and the car has to change..

It isnt viable to sell a 1.5ltr cool looking lambo like car at a decent price tag when it can be out run by a family carrier, no one would buy them as the marketing and design teams know if someone wants a good looking car they want performance to match it.. the target audience maybe large for a nice looking car but the acctual sales is another thing. I mean would u buy a mini lambo if it had the same performance as a nissan micra and hurt to sit in? personally i would :p

Vectracious
12th January 2010, 05:33 PM
They could make such a car - but very few people would buy it. Unfortunately it's purely business these days and all risks are calculated and safe.