PDA

View Full Version : WiFi for the house.

SIMid
5th January 2010, 09:35 PM
Thinking of using my Ipod touch to browse the net while watching TV and update my mobile using WiFi off the PC, maybe run the playstation off it.

What type of gizmo would I should be looking into getting? Any recommendations?

Vectracious
5th January 2010, 09:39 PM
any wireless b/g router.

I've got a crappy D-Link at home which has never missed a beat in about 4 years.
Have got a Cisco wireless access point at work which works really well and has a great range.

Personally I would go for Cisco because the UI is better on them (compared to the other brands I've used - D-Link, Netcomm, Netgear)

poita
5th January 2010, 09:54 PM
Im currently using a Belkin F5D8635-4v1

4 port router, wireless n, supports adsl 1, 2, 2+

went wireless n for the range, plus having 2 laptops, media centre, ps3, wii, iphone on the network for some reason it slowed teh g down i had

also had a usb port on the back of it so can plug a hard drive into it and share it across the network.

whatever you do tough, get a wireless n. they are pretty cheap now and thats the way everything is going. is backwards compatible with b/g also

dieselhead
5th January 2010, 10:00 PM
I replaced my modem last weekend, got a Linksys (CISCO) modem-router (http://www.linksysbycisco.com/ANZ/en/products/WAG120N) from MSY for $105. It has b/g/n wireless, 4 LAN ports, looks great and works a treat with two PCs, two laptops, two mobile phones and one internet radio. I'm really happy with how it works on wi-fi n with my HTC HD2.
Having said that, I'm not sure this is what you need. Do you need the wi-fi part only? Either way, you can't go wrong with Cisco, they manufactured the Internet's spine :)

AfterBurner
5th January 2010, 11:26 PM
Not sure atm but i have read rave reviews re the 'Billion' branded modem/routers.. Much better reviews than the usual Netcomm, Dlink, Netgear etc etc... Mine D-Link G604T still worx so haven't bothered changing it out but they are only around $100 these days for decent rooter/modems... If you plan to use torrents, go the billion as they handle the overflow of connections much better...

SIMid
6th January 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm on ADSL, so if I want to upgrade it to ADSL2, it doesn't matter does it?

Vectracious
6th January 2010, 11:49 AM
crap - been a while since I've looked at prices - can get a Cisco Wireless N router from our mates at MSY for $63 - so cheap!!!!

Simon - if you get a wireless router only then no - it doesnt matter - you can change the modem to whatever you want - as long as it has a network port on it.

Nurb608
6th January 2010, 12:18 PM
If it was me, i'd get the wireless router/modem all in one, makes it alot easier. If your current modem is also a router, then do not get a wireless router, you need a wireless access point, otherwise you will have a prick of a time trying to get it all working.

Neeko
6th January 2010, 12:39 PM
i have to get one of these aswell!
so i don't have to drive to ipswich to update apps on the iphone and what not... (have to be in "3" range)

hazrd
6th January 2010, 01:24 PM
i have to get one of these aswell!
so i don't have to drive to ipswich to update apps on the iphone and what not... (have to be in "3" range)

boonah tower fail :(

im with the suggestion on the Belkin F5D8635-4v1.. has EVERYTHING you will need whilst saving u $$$ on download costs :)

Vectracious
6th January 2010, 01:31 PM
If it was me, i'd get the wireless router/modem all in one, makes it alot easier. If your current modem is also a router, then do not get a wireless router, you need a wireless access point, otherwise you will have a prick of a time trying to get it all working.

thats the setup I have at work and at home - ADSL 4 port modem connected to a 4port + wireless router - no issues with either of them.... :confused:

Nurb608
6th January 2010, 01:33 PM
thats the setup I have at work and at home - ADSL 4 port modem connected to a 4port + wireless router - no issues with either of them.... :confused:

Damn, i should have got you to set mine up lol. I threw it in the too hard basket and brought an all in 1

Vectracious
6th January 2010, 01:34 PM
reserving IP addresses and stopping one from being a DHCP server is the key!!! :D

Nurb608
6th January 2010, 01:39 PM
reserving IP addresses and stopping one from being a DHCP server is the key!!! :D

There you go, way above my head, I knew it could be done but buying a complete unit was easier for me.

Kudrow
6th January 2010, 10:41 PM
I'm on ADSL, so if I want to upgrade it to ADSL2, it doesn't matter does it?

Some old ones will work, some will need a firmware upgrade. Some won't work with ADSL2 or ADSL2+ however way you look at it.