PDA

View Full Version : i failed at driving.

chrisshiel
5th January 2010, 12:48 AM
quick question
im insured with the nrma, i manged into a pos tarago in a carpark.
my excess is $1200, nrma wants me to pay the excess for repairs yet theres no quote or specified amount that it'll cost to fix their car? what if its less than my excess to fix it?? ie $800

gmonkey
5th January 2010, 12:49 AM
get a quote first... if its cheaper pay it and bypass insurance...

poita
5th January 2010, 12:49 AM
if its less then your excess just pay for the repairs

chrisshiel
5th January 2010, 12:54 AM
ah but ive lodged a claim because im a moron, i can however get rid of that. nrma wants it paid by the 8th of jan.
ive also revceived a letter from their insurance "cgu" regarding my details etc but theres no cost for repairs, they havent got a quote or anything.
what if i paid my excess, they get it repaired and it costs them $500 do i get the difference back?

guy 27
5th January 2010, 12:56 AM
Do as the others have said.

Just know that once you have notified an insurance company about the damage they will follow it up and it will go on the record (i believe its usually 3 years).

If you are ever at fault for a small accident always ask for the other party to get a quote for damage repairs. If it works out cheaper then excess to get both cars repaired do not notify insurance and go ahead with repairs. Otherwise if its significantly more its why you have insurance in the first place. If your a nice person and someone damages your car then you can always offer to do the same. Just make sure you get your quotes from a reputable panel shop.

guy 27
5th January 2010, 12:57 AM
what if i paid my excess, they get it repaired and it costs them $500 do i get the difference back?

You do not get any money back.

chrisshiel
5th January 2010, 01:07 AM
yeh *shrugs* i dont know how it all works, atleast i didnt just drive off. lesson learnt.

called nrma, they're going to call me when they get a quote, if its less than excess they cancel the claim. if id paid my excess and they'd gone ahead with the repairs and it cost less than the excess nrma cancels the claim and i just pay the repair amount. sorted.
cheers guys.
so strapped for cash, losing sleep. so over cars lol.

gmonkey
5th January 2010, 01:08 AM
1200 is a steep excess!!

Vectracious
5th January 2010, 01:10 AM
1200 is a steep excess!!

probably includes an age related excess - I'm assuming chrisshiel is a young driver or P-plater with that kind of excess...

gmonkey
5th January 2010, 01:13 AM
im 21 and myns only 400 :p

Vectracious
5th January 2010, 01:17 AM
im 21 and myns only 400 :p

Dunno Brenton - when I was with AAMI with my Veccy - I had my regular excess of 400, and a 500 excess for being a driver under 25
When I had the rex with Just Cars - I had the regular excess of $400, plus a $1000 "car excess" just because it was a WRX.
R36 with AAMI, I just have the regular $400 excess - so every insurance company is different on how they do stuff - who are you with?

gmonkey
5th January 2010, 01:38 AM
im with RAC... i dont have a under 25 excess for some reason :p oh well i cant complain haha

Shay
5th January 2010, 04:06 AM
if you hit another car it will cost more than 1200.

your dinged bonnet wold be 500 odd... let along the other car, side panels, crash bar, radiator...........
list goes along way, knowing the extent of damage would help tho

brc
5th January 2010, 08:24 AM
My excess for my SRi-T is 2k, premium is 2k. talk about steep!? This is the cheapest I can find :\. (underage turbo driver) :P Mate, just call him/her and ask for a quote, legally they can provide you with two quotes so you go the cheaper, then just pay it for them. NOTE: DO NOT PAY HER/HIM, PAY THE REPAIRER. They will scam you out of your money and not get the repair done if you pay them (especially if the car is shit). Keep on top of it because you dont want to take to long.

chrisshiel
6th January 2010, 01:42 PM
sorted and paid repairer, all good.
cheers guys. i think its time to buy a bike. cars are just way to expensive

Shay
6th January 2010, 01:48 PM
sorted and paid repairer, all good.
cheers guys. i think its time to buy a bike. cars are just way to expensive

if by bike you mean motor bike, not much cheaper, especially if you fail at driving :lol:

Greg K
6th January 2010, 02:27 PM
if by bike you mean motor bike, not much cheaper, especially if you fail at driving :lol:

what he said ^^

bikes are cheaper when it comes to fuel consumption and price versus performance, and are a little cheaper in terms of insurance.

Shay
6th January 2010, 02:29 PM
what he said ^^

bikes are cheaper when it comes to fuel consumption and price versus performance, and are a little cheaper in terms of insurance.

plus riding gear is expensive as, and servicing is a lot more too...

btm
6th January 2010, 04:39 PM
but they are so much more fun though :D

Shay
6th January 2010, 04:42 PM
but they are so much more fun though :D

just ask steve :lol:

poita
6th January 2010, 04:50 PM
was gonna say, skin grafts are more painful than quarter panels

TURBOGRINS
6th January 2010, 05:24 PM
was gonna say, skin grafts are more painful than quarter panels

and quarter panels take just minutes to heal / replace just like skin grafts...
Best option on the bike is to not fall off really much easier that way :thumbs:

poita
6th January 2010, 05:26 PM
and quarter panels take just minutes to heal / replace just like skin grafts...
Best option on the bike is to not fall off really much easier that way :thumbs:

truer words couldn't of been spoken :lol:

Kudrow
7th January 2010, 03:34 PM
what he said ^^

Also the road acts like a big cheese grater when you come off the bike and slide/roll along the road after coming to a sudden stop lol :p

gmonkey
7th January 2010, 03:39 PM
just dont do ur bike licence without riding a bike before ;)