PDA

View Full Version : WII mod with external HDD

SSS_Hoon
3rd January 2010, 09:22 AM
Well, was at the local markets, and this stall guy was selling the DS chip thingos.

And i overheard him talking to this guy about getting the WII done.

He said that it was $150 to get the wii done, so it will play backup and movies, plus use a external HDD to backup games and run them from there?

Anyone heard of this or know what chip he is actually using as he wouldnt tell me that.

SSS_Hoon

ASTRAY
3rd January 2010, 09:51 AM
while traversing the net for psp games, i have indeed stumbled upon wii mods you can do.
im not interested in the wii, so i never investigated further, but i had the assumption that all you needed to do was flash the wii with a custom firmware file, and you could just dl the games from the net...

you have a pm coming you way with all the info you need....

poita
3rd January 2010, 06:38 PM
you dont need a mod chip to do it mate

you can 'soft mod' them

i know a bloke who does it, wil find out for ya

auzvectra
3rd January 2010, 07:33 PM
and i have a disc with the soft mod on it :).
came courtesy with a game i bought ;). with a sample of a "simplified" game as they called it, which they supply cheaply.

ROCCO
3rd January 2010, 08:16 PM
Disclaimer: Opelaus does not support piracy. If you like a game support the developers and buy it

auzvectra
3rd January 2010, 09:56 PM
Disclaimer: Opelaus does not support piracy. If you like a game support the developers and buy it

what i was thinkin actually, hahaha. was surprised to see this thread. just thought i'd pass it on but.

auzvectra
3rd January 2010, 09:59 PM
oh n i havent done the softmod, or even looked at the disc, or the free game that came with it :p.

ASTRAY
4th January 2010, 05:15 AM
actually didnt think the thread would last long enough for even my reply to be noticed.
delete?
oh, and my traversing on the net was just to research games, id never ever do something illegal.

SSS_Hoon
4th January 2010, 03:44 PM
oh is this illegal?

the guy said it wasnt he said it was all legit and ok.

SSS_Hoon

poita
4th January 2010, 06:10 PM
oh is this illegal?

the guy said it wasnt he said it was all legit and ok.

SSS_Hoon

i've heard both ways mate, some say legal some say not

MAD-16V
4th January 2010, 06:28 PM
Circumventing any form of copyright protection is illegal.

ASTRAY
4th January 2010, 07:37 PM
+1,
when the ps1 modchip was out and about, the fine was $20,000 per disc for individuals, and i think it was $200.000 for businesses.
id try to search for proof of my claims, but this was well over 10yrs ago lol.

AfterBurner
4th January 2010, 11:08 PM
Pretty sure the mod is via USB loader or similar guys...

Then torrents for the games... FTW!

SSS_Hoon
5th January 2010, 03:05 PM
Pretty sure the mod is via USB loader or similar guys...

Then torrents for the games... FTW!

think u may be right as he said something about using the USB on the wii and a HDD or a USB stick.

said it will play dvds and divx also.

dont know if its worth 150 though.

SSS_Hoon

AfterBurner
5th January 2010, 04:41 PM
think u may be right as he said something about using the USB on the wii and a HDD or a USB stick.

SSS_Hoon

No F'n way m8... U can D/L from wherever n DIY...

MAD-16V
5th January 2010, 04:44 PM
$150 is steep for software that is freely available on the internet, But if you aren't confident in dong the modifications yourself...

auzvectra
5th January 2010, 05:43 PM

SSS_Hoon

ok, mod done ;).
took like 30 mins.
the can play divx bit got me :D.

if it is in fact all legal, i have the files to do it. if any1 wants it. large files but :(.

SSS_Hoon
8th January 2010, 08:52 AM
yeah it was the divx part that got me interested aswell, especially form a HDD or USB device, means no more blank dvd's.

SSS_Hoon

auzvectra
8th January 2010, 10:54 AM
yeah it was the divx part that got me interested aswell, especially form a HDD or USB device, means no more blank dvd's.

SSS_Hoon

so ne1 wanting this, the files r bout 25mb :). cutting out the video how to ;).

poita
8th January 2010, 06:19 PM
me :)

astrauturbo
8th January 2010, 06:23 PM
go to torrentz.com you can find anything and everything there.

jastra
8th January 2010, 07:14 PM
yes i want it i have been wondering if this was possible :P obv it is. yay

auzvectra
8th January 2010, 09:17 PM
yes i want it i have been wondering if this was possible :P obv it is. yay

yes it is, yes i've done it, yes it works :p.
i'll have to host it up on my RS account for u all n link it here ;). give me a few days but :p.

ASTRAY
11th January 2010, 05:49 PM
pete, remove this if you wish, i honestly dont feel right posting it, as i know 100% all this talk goes against forum rules, amongst other things....

guys, all the info you need can be found here,
http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/154

if you want psp etc hacks too, the above link also has all YOU need.

AfterBurner
12th January 2010, 09:47 AM
pete, remove this if you wish, i honestly dont feel right posting it, as i know 100% all this talk goes against forum rules, amongst other things....

guys, all the info you need can be found here,
http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/154

if you want psp etc hacks too, the above link also has all YOU need.

Nice guide, has anyone done it here?? Looks like it would take an hour to do ALL the steps..?

auzvectra
12th January 2010, 11:28 AM
Nice guide, has anyone done it here?? Looks like it would take an hour to do ALL the steps..?

fk that, mine was easier :p.
and make sure u have microsoft .net installed, pretty sure most ppl dont, n from memory, takes fkn ages to install it, n massive memory. or am i mistaking this for something else, was yrs ago that i am remembering from :p.

AfterBurner
12th January 2010, 01:27 PM
fk that, mine was easier :p.
and make sure u have microsoft .net installed, pretty sure most ppl dont, n from memory, takes fkn ages to install it, n massive memory. or am i mistaking this for something else, was yrs ago that i am remembering from :p.

If your'e referring to .NET then yeah, no, fuk yeah it takes like an hour... Although i recently installed the newer 3.5 framework & it only took like 15mins or so..

ASTRAY
12th January 2010, 02:55 PM

one has, and said it took a while to do it, but they also said if they werent so paranoid and thorough with everything, it would have only taken 10mins.

AfterBurner
12th January 2010, 02:56 PM
Spose, once u dun it a couple o times it would be a breeze...

Cheers mate..

btm
12th January 2010, 03:19 PM
do you need to have your wii connected to the net to do the mod?

auzvectra
12th January 2010, 03:37 PM
If your'e referring to .NET then yeah, no, fuk yeah it takes like an hour... Although i recently installed the newer 3.5 framework & it only took like 15mins or so..

well my old pc took longer then that, but it was pretty old, hahaha.

the 1 i have isnt for ver4.1 but it's all automated ;).
well near enough, n just in 2 stages.

poita
12th January 2010, 06:48 PM
looks like a lot of effort, will get my mate to do it for me

SSS_Hoon
16th January 2010, 10:32 AM
yes it needs to be on the net to have it done. there is ways to do it without the net on the wii but its longer and more complicated.

I've looked into real close and well the things they say it can do is awesome.

U can mod the USB so its USB2
Play dvd's
play backup games
play divx
play from usb stick
play from usb hard drive
backup games to the USB hard drive

Seems u need a 1gig SD mem card must be SD and not a micro or mini, and this needs to stay in the wii to use the loaded apps.
Not all USB sticks/hard drives will work.
the newer wii's wont read backup dvds so need the hard drive mod done to them.
Easy to brick your wii
Harder to unbrick the newer wii's
hard drive needs to be FAT32 need a special program to format FAT32 on drives more then 32gig
divx side will work of NTFS on certain media players for the wii

and also no need to actually open up the wii to void the warranty, and if u update the wii and it overwrites it all, u can jsut do it again.

umm im sure there is more i found out but just not remember right now.

i like to be thorough when i think about doing stuff like this.

SSS_Hoon

MAD-16V
16th January 2010, 10:48 AM
hard drive needs to be FAT32 need a special program to format FAT32 on drives more then 32gig
SSS_Hoon

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?fat32format.htm

I use this to do all my external drives so they work with PS3 and Xbox 360 - Simple and free app to format most large drives to FAT32.

UNEEQ
23rd January 2010, 12:07 AM
Ok, soft modding is a piece of cake if you follow the instructions and have at least 2 brain cells to rattle around. If I'm allowed I can post a link to a blog with everything you could need to know about Wii modding (without special save games etc). There's a list of compatible drives too. You'll also need an SD chip, preferably normal not the high density ones. I'm using a 2GB SD MICRO IN AN ADAPTOR, so YES, you CAN use Micro or Mini, as long as it's adapted to a full size.

You need to remember to turn WII CONNECT 24 OFF FIRST!! Nintendo does not release patches to intentionally brick the console, but they do not cater for any 3rd party modifications. If the update bricks your Wii, that is unfortunate. You should also be aware that some game disks have updates encoded into them (for those without wireless connections, so the Wii can update to play the game) eg. the new Super Mario takes up 1/2 a gig as a game file once scrubbed, yet the disk is 4.5GB. My recommendation is to place your original into your PC and create an iso, then use the scrubber utility, then use the WBFS loader to plug the USB drive into your PC and transfer the game.

In terms of Torrent files (as a reference of fact only), you will probably find that most of them announce that they have been pre-scrubbed.

Again, if you do not scrub the image, it will definately take up the full 4.5GB or whatever the image file is, and any updates that think they need to apply themselves may cause you to have a brick.

Some bootloaders have the capacity to unbrick the Wii under a lot of circumstances. This is the one I have used.

Note to justify myself: I have 2 kids, 14 months and 3 years old. They like getting any form of disks and playing with them. We don't have a playable disk in the house. Hence my reason, I can play of the HDD.

UNEEQ
23rd January 2010, 09:52 AM
To add to the above, the 3rd gen Wii (which I have) also has a drive that restricts the ability to read any burnt disk (even ones that look original like Bali ones... we've tried with friends' games). In this case, the only option is to rip to iso on PC, scrub, then transfer as I've mentioned above and use the HDD only. This can be tedious as it takes a while to perform this process on each game which means you can't just stick it in and play, but once it's on your HDD (or stored as a scrubbed image on your PC) it's always there for immediate access.

SSS_Hoon
23rd January 2010, 10:46 AM
to rip the iso u need one of only 4 certain dvd players in your pc, otherwise ur pc wont recognise the disc at all.

yeah the mini and micro will work, just was told from what i was reading that some dont work aswell.

from my readings u dont need to rip the iso to the pc then scrub it then wbfs it.

depending on what usb loader u have u can rip straight from the wii to the hdd in under 5 mins for most games.

With the new mario and some other games, nintendo have a code in the game that checks to make sure the disc is in the machine. there is ways around it not sure how though.

U can do it with a 256mb sd card or even a 128mb sd card, the main reason u need 1gig is to back upo the wii files before u do it so if u do brick it can help u unbrick it depending on what level of brick u have.

SSS_Hoon

UNEEQ
23rd January 2010, 02:52 PM
I use Magic Disc/Deamon Tools Lite to rip to an ISO. Windows doesn't recognise the disc, but that doesn't mean that an iso program can't see a track there. It rips it fine. Otherwise, perhaps my HP just happens to have one of those 4, however unlikely.

The SD card is only to hold the homebrew channel, bootloader and any additional software like a ripper and uLoader... so as SSS said it doesn't need to be 2GB if you're not worried about doing a backup.

SSS, You're correct in saying that you don't need to (use the PC), so long as it's not a Bali disk. If it is and you have a gen3 drive, you won't be able to read the disc at all (in the Wii), only originals will work. This is why I recommended the PC and scrubbing.

Scrubbing will reduce the size of the game on the hard drive dramatically also. If you're someone like me who values space, then a 500MB game is better than a 4.5GB one. Scrubbing should also kill the disc checking code with the likes of Mario etc. (It worked with mine)

SSS_Hoon
24th January 2010, 06:13 PM
what is a bali disc?

im talking about some usb loader programs can rip the original str8 to the hdd and only rips the wbfs format part of it. and in record time aswell.

im more interested in it for the divx/dvd side of it. Although from what i have read so far it wont play mkv files anyway lol

SSS_Hoon

ASTRAY
24th January 2010, 08:59 PM
im sure with bali disc he just means a disc that has the game burned onto it.
its just that the "pros" that copy the games and burn to disc, also print the original disc picture onto the disc, just to make it look more professional.

UNEEQ
24th January 2010, 09:25 PM
im sure with bali disc he just means a disc that has the game burned onto it.
its just that the "pros" that copy the games and burn to disc, also print the original disc picture onto the disc, just to make it look more professional.

WINNER!

And I wouldn't know if it rips from the disc through the Wii to the HD as a shrunk 500MB or the full 4.5GB image. I haven't tested that yet since I like to fidget and stuff (It's in my nature!), but if it's the latter as I suspect, then I would rather scrub it back to 500MB. That's just me though.

I have heard people have been (trying to) making "codec packs" (or a homebrew channel app if you like) for the Wii in order to play a DVD and DivX stuff. I'm not sure on the success of this or any of the limitations on it though (Hoon, you seem to have looked into this one a bit more), but from my understanding, MKV is simply a container that holds a video file as opposed to a file that IS the compressed video itself, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. So I can't see why someone couldn't program this functionality in (they probably will in time).... HOWEVER.... the clincher is, that if you have a GEN3 drive in your Wii, (again) you won't be able to play burnt DVDs (not sure on originals even, it may look for some code in the discs lead-in to say it's a Wii game disc), so unless they make an app that can access the wireless capabilities of the Wii to load whatever movies you have on a NAS, in this circumstance modding would be less useful than to someone with a GEN2 or vanilla drive.

Not really trying to contradict anything anyone's saying. just making sure people know what they are getting themselves into BEFORE they go doing something that is a bit trickier to reverse after the fact :) (Did I mention the GEN3 drive is a BITCH?!?!?!)

SSS_Hoon
25th January 2010, 09:02 AM
i thought that was a Bali disc Lol.

ripping it through the wii scrubs it and only rips what u need as in the actual game file not all the rubbish that Nintendo puts in there to make it the full size, i know it does it been told and seen it in action as well. Guitar hero 5 was ripped from the original disc in the wii to the usb hdd in under 5 mins and i think it was only 1 or 2 gig. I been looking for torrents and most are still too big even when scrubbed there is still useless info in there that is not needed. Like the new Mario my mate said he dl 500-600mb scrubbed file and once un rared and converted to wbfs file only 340mb was needed.

Yeah there is a few media players for the wii out there, seems that m player Ce is the best and loads via home brew. the reason it wont play the mkv files is that most of them are hd files and the wii cannot handle the processing power and what not needed to play them. Some have said that they have got them to work, but most say no.

I been reading about the gen 3 wii's and u can still soft mod them just have to use the hdd way as they wont read the Bali discs. i read that any after august last year will be gen 3 im hoping mine isn't as it was around that time. But if i do it will be with a hdd for divx mainly so wont matter if it reads the discs or not anyway as ill have the hdd hooked up to it.

Mplayer Ce can access files over the wifi or a LAN connection even you-tube and internet radio and TV stations. can even rip the game over the wireless connection to your PC. takes a long time though. can also sets up a ftp type server thing on your PC over the wifi from the wii where it gives u a ip address to type in on ur PC and the wii than access ur files on ur PC that way. (not fully looked into that as i wont be needing that but that is the basic rundown of how it works)

also there is certain versions of the wii that wont install the botmii which is used to backup and unbrick onto the wii itself. those ones need to be extra careful as that makes it hareder to unbrick if u do happen to brick it.

SSS_Hoon

btm
25th January 2010, 09:24 AM
wow... all of this has just gone completely over my head!