PDA

View Full Version : How do i know there dodgy ? ?

maloo97
31st December 2009, 01:12 AM
Hey guys just have a question & I want all feedback,

As you all know im selling my car.

I have it on carsales, Iv had one Genuine inquiry where the the person has come out driven it tested and made as offer,

2nd one.

Tonight I get a email asking if i have left anything out of the ad.
I reply no its all fully detailed. I Then get this reply
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK!

ok just want to make sure all bases are covered
I will purchase at the listed price and payment will be sent using PayPal and i will be needing your email with PayPal for payment or you could send me an invoice(ill handle the PayPal surcharge,you just let me know).Make sure you get back to me so that we can arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked as i am out of town at the moment.
I await your reply.
Thanks

Seems a little sus ? ?

Nurb608
31st December 2009, 01:18 AM
Does sound sus but then again, paypal is pretty safe. I wouldn't release the car until the paypal has gone through and you have moved it in to your bank account though.

maloo97
31st December 2009, 01:22 AM
But can you use pay pal with a stolen or fake credit card ? ?

Im really sus,

Nurb608
31st December 2009, 01:25 AM
Um, yes you can if you know your way around it. You could ask for a copy of their license etc but you may find it's more hassle than it's worth going down that track.

maloo97
31st December 2009, 01:30 AM
Well im fairly sure its a scam.

After getting that email, I get another one 10mins later, Different Name and Email addy but same sort of speal and want to pay via pay pal.

Both email addys are Yahoo,

Not this time fella's lol.

I spell a rat lol

adam_92
31st December 2009, 01:30 AM
it does sound a bit sus if they havnt even seen it. i know i wouldnt buy a car without going and checking it over but if you sell it then isnt it out of your hands? and as nurb said wait until the payment has cleared and if safely in your bank account

Jase
31st December 2009, 01:32 AM
It's dodgy, they all ask for paypal and say they are willing to pay for full amount of the advertised price + out of town.

Nurb608
31st December 2009, 01:32 AM
Well im fairly sure its a scam.

After getting that email, I get another one 10mins later, Different Name and Email addy but same sort of speal and want to pay via pay pal.

Both email addys are Yahoo,

Not this time fella's lol.

I spell a rat lol

Yep, i'm with you, forget about them! Thats way to coincidental.

adam_92
31st December 2009, 01:33 AM
hmm maybe they can hack your email addy and then access your paypal if they put it in and click forgot password and a reminder gets sent to your email and they have hacked it then thay have full access to your paypal

Jerram
31st December 2009, 01:33 AM
hahaa mate I get those things as well

next business day you'll probably get an email from carsales.com telling you it's a scam (which it is)

I don't know how they wengle it out of you but yeah paypal + pick up agent = scam.

Out of the 10 or so enquiries I've had on mine, 3 have been genuine. I've also found that if you reply to a scam enquiry it tends to open the floodgates to more scammers.

For what it is though mate I'd say you shouldn't have to wait too much longer for a genuine buyer. (start of the year etc.)

oh btw does he live in cocoroc?

maloo97
31st December 2009, 01:47 AM
Yep Jarram. Just got the email from carsales.

Please be aware that there is a phishing scam running currently with some buyers only operating through their Pay Pal account. If the buyer advises that they do not have internet banking and have a pick up agent that requires a payment from you, then this is not a legitimate enquiry.

3 emails I think are sus iv had tonight.

Barangaroo
Canterbury
Melbourne

Must be a new scam.

Never had this with carsales before.

I know atleast i have one keen buyer, Thats real. lol

But really I wonder how many people fall for these scams.

adam_92
31st December 2009, 01:57 AM
so what do they actually get out of it ?

jlgu
31st December 2009, 02:27 AM
fraud 100% , heard this a lot of times

GreyRex
31st December 2009, 08:31 AM
That's why when I sold my previous car privately, I only promoted being contacted by phone

Everyone has a phone

If they're serious... they'll call

hazrd
31st December 2009, 09:11 AM
Im glad i read this... will help for when we sell the magna

but im with u Ben, i wont put my email address down, might even put "no paypal payment enquiries" or something in the ad aswell

seriously what moron offers to pay for a car through paypal and gets an agent to pick it up... its your new car, wouldnt YOU want to pick it up? :rolleyes:

anyways, good detective work there mate :D

btm
31st December 2009, 09:30 AM
definitely a scam

a mate is selling his bike on bikesales.com and got a very very similar email to that

Ice
31st December 2009, 09:35 AM
yep scam for sure but wouldnt you/they also have to fill in the transfer papers ? which are to some extent another measure of security.

maloo97
31st December 2009, 12:09 PM
Surly people must fall for his.

Got a couple more emails from carsales this morning regarding the emails & Scams.

Will be taking off my email addy and sticking with the phone.

vectraguy01
31st December 2009, 03:43 PM
Just send them an email back this has been forwarded to AFP for fraud. have a great day :)

DAHUI
2nd January 2010, 03:25 PM
yep def scam.. usually falls under third party transactions /wire transfer scams such as western union & pay pal - these scams are often operated through Nigeria (they call these nigerian scams).. others to look out for is fedex & western union scams...

happens all the time when i try to sell on ebay..