PDA

View Full Version : Battery probs.....i think

ROCCO
29th December 2009, 10:29 AM
Hey guys,

Tell me if i'm on the right track. Went to get into the car this morning...put the key into the ingition and nothing...not even a click. No lights on the dash...nothing.

I think the battery is farked. Seemed fine yesterday but this morning nothing. Battery is almost 5 years old.

Think its time for a change of battery guys?

SSS_Hoon
29th December 2009, 10:37 AM
wow completely flat in a day, did u leave anything turned on?

I have a batt problem in my car as well, if its left for a few days without starting it will be dead and gotta charge it up again. im not sure if mine is alt related as the batt is brand new. i thought my stereo was draining it, but that is all disconnected at the batt so its not that Lol. the only other thing is my alarm but that has been on the car since i got it and only had the problem recently.

SSS_Hoon

Nurb608
29th December 2009, 10:38 AM
5 years for a battery, thats a bloody good run. I'd change it as it's the most likely reason but check your alternator and earthing points too.

SIMid
29th December 2009, 10:42 AM
Did the central-locking work? Cause if it did and then, wont turn over at all, it may not be your battery.

adam_92
29th December 2009, 10:54 AM
5 years for a battery, thats a bloody good run. I'd change it as it's the most likely reason but check your alternator and earthing points too.

my battery is 5 years old and only had 1 problem but that was my fault for leaving evrything turned on for a few hours but its still going strong

*goes to check car*

hazrd
29th December 2009, 11:05 AM
oh what... u have now overwritten Gavs boobies poll :(

lol
look for a battery with a long warranty on it, so if it dies early, u can at least get it swapped out for free

ROCCO
29th December 2009, 11:44 AM
Yeah nothing works....not central locking no lights nothing. I'm getting an ac delco one.

I'll let you guys know what goes on

ROCCO
29th December 2009, 05:46 PM
Ok heres an update: I changed the battery and she fires up WOOHOO....everything seems to be running fine. although I still have that nasty rattle when she is cold. Coming from the side the timing belt and alternator is.
Question for you...when a alternator is knackerd do they sometimes rattle...then this rattle goes away??
just wondering if the Atlerntor is fooed and needs to be changed.

bender
29th December 2009, 08:42 PM
when mine died a couple weeks ago it would rattle loud at low revs and at start up

easiest way to check get a multi meter put on dc volts start the car then put probs red on red black on balck should read 13- 14 volts if reading 12> then its most likely dead and if so i suggest a quick drive to an auto electrition

SSS_Hoon
29th December 2009, 10:07 PM
not sure but could it be the tensioner for the timing chain(if they run a chain) as in the SR engines they are known to rattle, on startup.

SSS_Hoon

ROCCO
30th December 2009, 12:43 PM
Naa runs a belt...changd it 30,000km ago.

ope11
30th December 2009, 01:07 PM
Not sure if it works with these cars, Start the car ,Disconnect the battery (positive), If the car runs stil then the alternator is ok ,Battery is stuffed or on it's way.
But if the car stop's when disconected ,Alternator will be stuff:)
Hope this helps:)

ROCCO
30th December 2009, 03:11 PM
ope11 that kinda sounds a bit of a crude way of finding out whether is stuffed or not. Might just get a multimeter and check it that way

AfterBurner
30th December 2009, 11:14 PM
Not sure if it works with these cars, Start the car ,Disconnect the battery (positive), If the car runs stil then the alternator is ok ,Battery is stuffed or on it's way.

Maybe crude bit he's 100% rite... The Volts trick isn't always a sure fire method, the current is what you need to test mainly... The meter should measure whatver the regulator is letting it get too, usually around 13-14v i would imagine...

Either way u got ur money's worth out of the fukr, replace it & stop being a TA... Should be replaced every 3-4 yrs if u want reliability...

Pretty sure the AC Delco are just the standard Holden issue, u can get better if u wanna spend more, like the round cell ones, can't remember the name but they're shit hot apparently & last ages, maybe like 10yrs or sumtin silly... Prolly like 3 or 4 hunge tho...;)

rodsfromday
30th December 2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah thats what i also used to do back in the day!!